I suggest a campaign about ...

fairness, justice and equality for all British state pensioners

All people contribute towards the National Insurance scheme under exactly the same rules.

All people qualify for their state pension under exactly the same rules, based on years of NI contributions.

When it comes time to pay the state pension different rules are applied depending on where you happen to live.

If you live in the UK and in 40 overseas countries, your state pension is uprated for inflation each year.

If you live in mainly Commonwealth countries your state pension is frozen at the rate at which it is first paid, or as at the date of migration. This means that over time the real purchasing power of the state pension in Commonwealth countries declines over the years, so that after, say, 25 years, it may be about a quarter of the current pension level.

To rectify this problem it would cost less than 1% of the total state pension bill.

Apparently there is an unwritten cross political party agreement not to fix this problem.

Pensioners who have chosen to go overseas to be with their children and grand children in retirement in Commonwealth countries are penalised for doing so, or disouraged from seeing their children and grand children again.

Overseas pensioners have been fighting this discrimination, based on country of residence, for over 25 years.

They could really do with a hand from people living in the UK to help them, to lobby on their behalf and to try to over turn this unfair, injust and inequal practice, which is based on historical accident and which even government ministers have admitted, has no logic to it.

8,086 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter MorrisPeter Morris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3788 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • George MorleyGeorge Morley commented  · 

Good idea Peter. Hopefully they will finally consider this and take action !
        Been there and done that !

• Jane DaviesJane Davies commented  · 

Yup me too...I'm back in the ICBP fold! I hope now that grown ups are running the page we can work together to get justice for the frozen 4%.

• Andy Robertson-FoxAndy Robertson-Fox commented  · 

Thanks for that news Peter. I have yet to try and access it myself - you were not the only one that was persona non grata before it was withdrawn!

One hopes that with a new Chairman at ICBP (Sheila Telford) the opportunity for them to encompass all the major groups once again will materialise.

• Peter MorrisPeter Morris commented  · 

I have just heard that the ICBP Facebook page has been resurrected but is no longer being managed by the expensive PR firm Champollion. And the additional news that I have now been un-banned from commenting on the page!!

Freda - I am a member of 38 Degrees but i have not received anything from them about FIFA.

Have i missed something or is it 38 Degrees normal "selective" democratic process at work yet again?

I think, Freda, the frozen pensions are the proverbial hot potato no-one is prepared to pick up. As I have said before as far as 38 degrees are concerned pensioner injustice is not sexy enough and we should all crawl away and be quiet and content with a pittance that decreases in value each year.

• Freda PilesFreda Piles commented  · 

The latest received from 38 degrees :
        Force FIFA to clean up their game
        you.38degrees.org.uk
        Football is the most popular sport in the world. Its global ruling body is grossly corrupt. The global game has to be well run. With a corrupt ruling body it is impossible.
        This is laughable and pathetic.
        This is more imortant than a pensioners wellbeing !

A different kind of reciprocal agreement I think. More to do with extradition and treatment of prisoners than pensions anyway. There are Social Security reciprocal agreements between the UK and Canada, New Zealand and even Japan but none of these include the uprating of British pensions. There used to be a similar one with Australian too but it was terminated by Australia in 2001 because the UK refused to uprate British pensions there and the Australian taxpayer was picking up the bill for indexation (like Canada still is today).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

LATEST (from the BBC web site this morning):UK signs mutual assistance treaty with Jordan designed to ensure radical cleric Abu Qatada can be extradited

Surprising how quickly a reciprocal agreement can be signed when it suits them. So the question is....why can't they get similar agreements signed with the countries in which British pensioners are getting a raw deal? Ah, yes.....and the answer is - because it doesn't suit them.

What is seriously worrying too is that the Equality and Human Rights Commission cannot, or will not, admit this situation is wrong. It even quotes the lies sent out by the DWP so one has to assume they are puppets of the government, not really interested when the discrimination is by the ministers of an institution. Institutional discrimination is still discrimination, it's a bit like putting lipstick on a pig no matter how it's dressed up it's still a pig.

The British Government has been discriminating against half the state pensioners living overseas for decades. They seem to think it is fair game to treat pensioners differently depending on where they happen to live. Now they are treating all state pensioners differently on the basis of when they were born and when they reach state pension age. It is really disgraceful. They believe it is OK to discriminate against people as long as they tell them they are going to do it. Wrong.

John, a state pensioner in Niagara Falls, Canada has his/her pension frozen, no cost of living increases ever. A state pensioner in Niagara Falls, USA, a couple of miles separate them, gets annual cost of living increases which means over the years the frozen one is cheated out of thousands too. Both have paid into the NI fund under the same terms and conditions, 4% of state pensioners are cheated in this way. David Cameron and Steve Webb bang on about "fairness" ad nauseam all the while they have purposely set out to do the opposite.

• John JohnstoneJohn Johnstone commented  · 

The Government is proposing to change the State Old Age Pension so that a higher flat rate of around £145 would be payable, but most means tested supplements would be discontinued.

Has anybody noticed that the proposal is that the new higher basic payments would only apply to people who retire after the start-up date for the new scheme. This could mean that two people with identical NI contribution records and identical needs in retirement could, in the extreme be paid pension amounts differing by up to about £2000 per year (on current valuations) for the rest of their lives. That could easily be £50,000 or more over a pension lifetime. Their ages could be separated by as little as one day.

If the principle of paying benefits proportional to National Insurance contributions is supposed to apply, this as about as unfair as it gets.

Thanks Peter...it is also a given that governments pay little heed to the rules so I thought it worth checking!

Andy - that is already a given. The NIF is ring fenced and the government continues to pay interest to the NIF for the use of its money they have borrowed to place into General Revenue.

Thank you for that information Peter.

Please can you tell us if the reply you received indicates whether or not the NI Fund is still "ring fenced" and that the government is still paying interest on the surplus?

• Freda PilesFreda Piles commented  · 

So what about the state pensions then ? Theft through the back door ? When did that happen and I wonder if they would answer that question .

Thank you Peter, more ammo in our arsenal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base