I suggest a campaign about ...

fairness, justice and equality for all British state pensioners

All people contribute towards the National Insurance scheme under exactly the same rules.

All people qualify for their state pension under exactly the same rules, based on years of NI contributions.

When it comes time to pay the state pension different rules are applied depending on where you happen to live.

If you live in the UK and in 40 overseas countries, your state pension is uprated for inflation each year.

If you live in mainly Commonwealth countries your state pension is frozen at the rate at which it is first paid, or as at the date of migration. This means that over time the real purchasing power of the state pension in Commonwealth countries declines over the years, so that after, say, 25 years, it may be about a quarter of the current pension level.

To rectify this problem it would cost less than 1% of the total state pension bill.

Apparently there is an unwritten cross political party agreement not to fix this problem.

Pensioners who have chosen to go overseas to be with their children and grand children in retirement in Commonwealth countries are penalised for doing so, or disouraged from seeing their children and grand children again.

Overseas pensioners have been fighting this discrimination, based on country of residence, for over 25 years.

They could really do with a hand from people living in the UK to help them, to lobby on their behalf and to try to over turn this unfair, injust and inequal practice, which is based on historical accident and which even government ministers have admitted, has no logic to it.

8,067 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter MorrisPeter Morris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3787 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChippyChippy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey John, we've got the information source now, and you're quite correct, the will only be those Lords "speaking" set speeches. All the other Lords present though can vote on the Bill, or as I believe, aspects within it.
        If anyone knows it to be different, please correct me.

John, this is important. Please can you tell us where you got this information from??

• John JonesJohn Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, if the info I have received is correct than only three Lords are reading the second bill on the 3rd Dec as follows Lord Baife Lord Freud Lord German and the only private email listed is Lord German as follows germanm@parliment.uk this seems very strange that the list shows only three, that signifies the importance of this reading, get emailing John.

Hi John,
        Keep up the good work!! Here's something that might help prevent idiotic replies like the one you had from the un-knowledgable Lord Skelmersdale.
        The following is part of a reply from a Freedom of Information request, number 595/2013 dated 7March 2013.
        "Bi-lateral agreements are not necessary in order for pensions paid outside Great Britain and the EU to be up-rated."
        There's a bit more but what I've quoted is the important part. ANYONE can verify its authenticity by Googling the request number I've noted.
        John, never forget - we are in the right, and we will win! Nothing is more sure!

Hi all, still sending those emails out, as per normal only one reply from a delightful
        Lord Skelmersdale, who suggested to us all, make sure where you move has the blessed reciprocal agreement, oh what a joy to have people like this, helping and supporting the cause JOKE, however sure you have used before but this email address has caught my attention, some Dept. involved in overseeing Govt. fairness, as follows public@standards.gsi.gov.uk oh well back to me emails regards John

Hi Fred,just to inform you, since you sending the details for the House of Lords contact, have been merrily sending mail to the select committee, who confirmed the 3rd Dec next reading but not one personal response, including Lord Rix thought with his sense of humor, he of all people would give us his support, persistence will break down resistance, back to my mailing. regards John.

Would be so happy to contact these Lords, once the details are published I will be sending those emails, we need some high profile coverage, keep on fighting for your basic right Thanks John.

• Jane DaviesJane Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I may add my ten pence worth......The new pension bill is going before the Lords, when we don't yet know, but when we have the date may I suggest those who are outraged by this disgraceful treatment of the 4% write to those Lords who are eligible to vote to encourage them to withdraw clause 20? We are not sure which Lords have the vote but once we find out one of us will post the list here. Please support the frozen 4% even if this injustice does not affect you because this is a case of blatant discrimination and it is a basic human right NOT to suffer discrimination and it is even more reprehensible when it is a government that is guilty of doing this. Thank you.

• Freda PilesFreda Piles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John Jones.Chippy has already made the point. No organised group has asked for any backdating of the pension indexing and to do so is unrealistic. If the government are squirming about uprating from today then to do that plus how much more is out of the question ? It will not happen so concentrate on at least getting parity from now on. To give the government a good reason for doing nothing will end up with us getting nothing. They will continue to make excuses because they are politicians.

John Jones. Thanks a bunch for visiting the sites that Freda Piles put up here for you, and anyone else interested.
        Thanks also for not joining the AES Society (Apathetic Expats Society). There are way too many of them out there as it is!!
        More people like yourself is what our movement desperately needs. You have seen how little it takes to join the fight, to contribute, spread the word, and help rid the world of this shameful discrimination that the UK Parliament is guilty of.
        You mention back-dating to commencement date of pension. You might want to know that the British government is using this as an excuse for not changing it's policy.
        The ICBP and it's affiliates are therefore not asking for back-dating, but for a phasing in process to be adopted instead.
        Obviously there is disagreement amongst frozen expats about this course of action, but that is part of the argument that has been presented to the UK at the moment, and which has rejected out of hand by Steve Webb etc.
        John, just keep your ear to the ground for developments, but to keep fully abreast of the situation as it changes, then I'd strongly recommend to ANY frozen expat that they join one of the existing frozen expat organizations.
        Up-to-date arguments are crucial when it comes to spreading the word, and for encouraging others to join the fight!!
        Thank you once again.

Many thanks for all the comments and advise, yes I have visited the sites you mention and continue to contact and do my part to support this vindictive policy, perhaps we should suggest that when the long overdue day comes to celebrate the final victory, the pensions should be back dated to each individual commencement date, when this dinosaur policy becomes extinct, again thanks and will keep on visiting Jj.

Andy Robertson-Fox and John Jones. I think you can add to that idiocy of the US and UK Virgin Islands the lunacy that each side of the Niagara river, or closer still the 49th parallel that makes up the border between the USA and Canada.
        One side frozen, the other not!
        John, as you might have noticed this campaign on the 38 Degree forum didn't make the charts and become an 'adopted petition' in 38 speak.
        Nevertheless, the campaign to unfreeze frozen pensions is stronger than ever, thanks to no small part to the people who have contributed (and are still contributing) to this forum.
        The people who are fighting for this cruel, totally unfair and discriminatory policy to be overturned will never give up until the freeze has melted away into nothing.
        I don't know if you are a member of any of the marvellous groups that are fighting tooth and nail to rid the world of this shameful Clause 20 and Regulation 3, but in case you're not, please consider joining one, and help us obtain the parity we ruddy well paid for!

• Andy Robertson-FoxAndy Robertson-Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree John...a complete discriminatory nonsense. The example of stupidity that I often quote is - not frozen in the US Virgin Islands but ten miles over the water in the UK Virgin Islands - frozen

Hello Andy, thanks for your input, although my point was the complete nonsense of it all, entitlement non-entitlement, country to country, my own circumstances retired in Thailand due to a couple of old mates also living here, no increase if we move to the Philippines, yes increases allowed, is that open to abuse should one wish to, the obvious correction to this policy is the same rights for all, or is that just to simple.

Feedback and Knowledge Base