I suggest a campaign about ...

fairness, justice and equality for all British state pensioners

All people contribute towards the National Insurance scheme under exactly the same rules.

All people qualify for their state pension under exactly the same rules, based on years of NI contributions.

When it comes time to pay the state pension different rules are applied depending on where you happen to live.

If you live in the UK and in 40 overseas countries, your state pension is uprated for inflation each year.

If you live in mainly Commonwealth countries your state pension is frozen at the rate at which it is first paid, or as at the date of migration. This means that over time the real purchasing power of the state pension in Commonwealth countries declines over the years, so that after, say, 25 years, it may be about a quarter of the current pension level.

To rectify this problem it would cost less than 1% of the total state pension bill.

Apparently there is an unwritten cross political party agreement not to fix this problem.

Pensioners who have chosen to go overseas to be with their children and grand children in retirement in Commonwealth countries are penalised for doing so, or disouraged from seeing their children and grand children again.

Overseas pensioners have been fighting this discrimination, based on country of residence, for over 25 years.

They could really do with a hand from people living in the UK to help them, to lobby on their behalf and to try to over turn this unfair, injust and inequal practice, which is based on historical accident and which even government ministers have admitted, has no logic to it.

8,086 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter MorrisPeter Morris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3788 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John JonesJohn Jones commented  · 

As soon as received will post !

• ChippyChippy commented  · 

John I should have mentioned that we would all be delighted to read any replies from anyone you've been in touch with. If you are willing to share them with us then please post them here......

https://www.facebook.com/pensionjustice

Where you'll get many more responses than what's NOT happening here!!

Thanks for the update john. You're not far off the mark about this site dying, it's a ruddy shame seeing as it began and continued with so much promise.
        It's demise can be placed in one slot though, and that slot is called 38 Degrees. Having held the number one position (in terms of campaign votes) because it couldn't attain the same position from 'member' votes, they dropped us, and went for other 'causes' instead.
        If you want to air your thoughts, and read other frozen pensioners thoughts too on the continuation, progress, and momentum of the campaign to unfreeze what's ours, go here........

You'll find much, much more action than what's here, on what's left of a very dynamic and sadly depleted campaign page!

As mentioned before, have been in contact with Lord Skelmersdale, who in turn wrote to Steve Webb regarding our fight and albeit taking some time to reply, finally returned mail to Lord S. and has promised to forward this to me, he does however still firmly believe that this policy will not be changed any time soon, due to the economics back home and can offer no hope, this site does seem to have slowly died, it seems that only a few visit and still have hope for success, will continue to do my part as long as I can.

Thanks John, and a Very Merry Christmas to you too! Let's all hope for (and fight for) an Unfrozen, Happy New Year as well!

Merry Xmas all and lets have some good news for New Year.

• Jane DaviesJane Davies commented  · 

John, the spoof video has so far clocked up 7,400 views. That is a good result and it is bound to rise. ICBP may not appear to you to be achieving much but I can assure you the unpaid board members work very hard and put in many hours in an effort to get this injustice ended. You can compare them to the swan gliding across the water, not much seems to be happening on the surface but the feet are hard at work paddling away underneath! Keep up the good work, we ARE going to succeed in the end.

Andy I agree with all the below and doing nothing is not an option, I refereed to the video only due not in the idea of course ridicule the British Govt, as they often do themselves but what coverage did it achieve apart from the members of ICBP.

My commitment is the same as all others being discriminated, as a pensioner overseas but also believe that my suggestion regarding a more aggressive approach and the knock on affect, perhaps being arrested, also reading a lot of info regarding police behavior and the U.K. becoming a police state, not wishing to put other people in the firing line.

Success will only be measured once this immoral policy is changed, not how and who changed it.

• Andy Robertson-FoxAndy Robertson-Fox commented  · 

Yes, John, the site is pretty dormant but bearing in mind how long it has been running and the abandonment of it by 38 Degrees the appearance of new followers is now a rare event.
        As for the use of the spoof interview video in conjunction with the mailings and other publicity I do not agree that it - I presume it was that one to which you refer - was simply funny and made a mockery of the issue. When you have been battling as long as some of the pensioners have been then capialising on the reputation of Bird and Fortune and their style of ridiculing government is simply another way of trying to get the message across to the public.

Some might not be amenable to your chaining to the railings, for example, but it is another means of attracting publicity and, like the videos, that must be the aim because, although you claim that the ICBP is "not achieving great strides" there are only two strides from being a frozen pensioner - those are from doing nothing to the current campaigning to being unfrozen.

The pressure needs must be kept up and ideas are welcomed by the ICBP.

Have you put forward yours yet?

Thanks Andy, think your right mate, this site does seem to be fairly dormant, but sorry to say the ICBP do not seem to be achieving great strides, making funny videos in my opinion just made a mockery of the issue, oh well keep mailing.

• Andy Robertson-FoxAndy Robertson-Fox commented  · 

John, i think on looking back through the more recent postings they tend to come from just a few individuals...interest in this forum has tailed off mainly because of the total lack of support from the 38 Degrees Team.
        However, it might be worth giving your idea some airing on the ICBP Facebook Page and see if it is something that might able to be arranged under their auspices. Just a thought.

Yes Freda and Jane, its a problem to get back to the U.K. and health is always a consideration, however we must have retired family or relatives still living at home that might help our cause, you see Freda I do agree with you, regarding not giving up but we are pensioners and time stops for no one, we need more than eventually, we need now, what about a creation of a fund to assist with the cost, I would either put some money in, or go we have to do more.

• Freda PilesFreda Piles commented  · 

What both you John and Jane say is very true but of course the other problem is our individual health issues which often determine our daily routine not to mention a long flight or the cost. But we are not about to give up ! If we keep on prodding we will eventually hit a weak spot ! Then push like hell.

• Jane DaviesJane Davies commented  · 

I would love to John...but being a frozen pensioner I can't afford it. But you are right it's the only way to get attention! Trouble is we are here and the problem is there and we do not get the same publicity because of that very reason. I have always said that a street protest would get the media to take notice.

Hey, just a thought but if a couple of dozen old fogies like us, did something crazy like chaining themselves to whatever, certainly make waves, might even make the T.V. what say you, worth a trip home and a bit of publicity.

Hello all, still at the emails, refuse to let this continue, if I have to return to the U.K. and chain myself to the House of Parliament offices, hope someone will bail me out, another email contact follows and please lets bombard this Dept. person called Laurie Mousah ( public@standards.gsi.gov.uk ) we are public right, onward march Jj.

Hi John,
        Clause 20 is going to 'debated' at a Committee hearing on December 16 in the House of Lords.
        We are not going to able to send the committee written submissions, as we did for the Commons hearings. We also do not know (at the time of my writing this) who the committee members are. As soon as I do know I'll post it here.
        As an alternative, and for immediate up to date information I'd suggest you - or anyone else interested - visit the ICBP Facebook page at .......
        There's always someone there giving the latest, or asking about it.
        If you can't see what you want as a heading anywhere on that page, then go to the "Recent posts by others" section on the same page, and click "See all".
        I hope that helps.

Hi all, must admit being in total confusion, after all the hope of some type of recognition from the 2nd reading regarding clause 20, can find no mention on this subject on the recorded debate on file, a lot of congratulations and thanks to Mr. S.Webb and of course a going no where circle of mentioned considerations but to me can find no hope to cling to, someone please prove me wrong.

John Jones.
        Thanks for giving us the information about Lord Skelmersdale. He has shown interest in the past about frozen pensions, and if it helps you click on this link to see an exchange between him and Lord Feud. It will help you to see where he's coming from.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/110309-0001.htm

Scroll down to "Pensions: Britons Living Abroad"

John, there's a lot of information out there, and not all of it is correct. So that we don't make assumptions, it would be good to see Skelmersdale's reply to you, but to exchange email addresses is downright dodgy on a public forum.
        Maybe we'll find a way!

Andy. Thanks for the encouraging info. I certainly hope that there will be others who will want to speak in our support and on the day, will be able to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base