I suggest a campaign about ...

fairness, justice and equality for all British state pensioners

All people contribute towards the National Insurance scheme under exactly the same rules.

All people qualify for their state pension under exactly the same rules, based on years of NI contributions.

When it comes time to pay the state pension different rules are applied depending on where you happen to live.

If you live in the UK and in 40 overseas countries, your state pension is uprated for inflation each year.

If you live in mainly Commonwealth countries your state pension is frozen at the rate at which it is first paid, or as at the date of migration. This means that over time the real purchasing power of the state pension in Commonwealth countries declines over the years, so that after, say, 25 years, it may be about a quarter of the current pension level.

To rectify this problem it would cost less than 1% of the total state pension bill.

Apparently there is an unwritten cross political party agreement not to fix this problem.

Pensioners who have chosen to go overseas to be with their children and grand children in retirement in Commonwealth countries are penalised for doing so, or disouraged from seeing their children and grand children again.

Overseas pensioners have been fighting this discrimination, based on country of residence, for over 25 years.

They could really do with a hand from people living in the UK to help them, to lobby on their behalf and to try to over turn this unfair, injust and inequal practice, which is based on historical accident and which even government ministers have admitted, has no logic to it.

8,086 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter MorrisPeter Morris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3788 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philip BoydellPhilip Boydell commented  · 

After contributing since the age of 16 having the pension frozen is grossly unfair, after all we are relieving the UK of the burden of old age care which is saving them millions.

• David WaterhouseDavid Waterhouse commented  · 

Having been in the Home Guard and working as a labourer for the War Agriculture Committee at 17 I voluteered for the Royal Navy and in 19 43 at 18 and served on Mata Covoys for 2 years, I stayed with the Navy for another 6 years then completed my 40 years of contributions the the national Insurance Fund. Never did I imagine that as a reward I would have my pension frozen at the rate ruling on my 65th Birthday in 1990 just because I had retired toily in Australia - a British Commonwealth Country.

• Michael SinclairMichael Sinclair commented  · 

I have had to return to work at age 74 to keep food on the table

• Dian ElvinDian Elvin commented  · 

I agree. It is long past time this stupid rule was changed. Fairness, Justice and Equality is badly needed here!

• Barry WelfordBarry Welford commented  · 

This is grossly unfair and slowly that has been accepted by a growing number of members of Parliament.

In addition to all the arguments based on fairness, justice and equality, the pressure on those who have emigrated to the 'wrong countries' may force them to return to the UK as time passes and they find it increasingly difficult to live on a fixed pension. Many have returned in penury when they then draw much more heavily on the UK's finances, particularly through the NHS.

This is so wrong.

• Paul greensladePaul greenslade commented  · 

having paid for 44 years I expected to have my paid for pension including annual increases wherever I live.
        Bearing in mind that BOTH employees and EMPLOYERS 'contributions' are/were EARNED by the employee I figure I have more than paid for whatever I am now doled out by the british governments.
        I have no children so have also been taxed to the hilt throughout my working life

• DavidDavid commented  · 

This is an example of gross blatant injustice which is totally incompatable with the concept of British fair play, and has all the hallmarks of the very worst third world dictatorship.

• Ian WalshIan Walsh commented  · 

We all paid the same compulsory NHI contributions, so we are all entitled to the same pension. The British Government must stop discriminating against residents of certain Commonwealth countries.

1 2 186 187 188 190 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base