I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,982 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Annette WellandAnnette Welland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is an appalling idea to close libraries. The gap between the classes is just going to widen, we have already lost so much in the education sector in recent years.

• Robin SpongRobin Spong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a right to have access to libraries for education and pleasure - they must not be closed

• Mrs G SpongMrs G Spong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries must stay open to facilitate education and have books so that anyone can use them - from cradle to grave.

• Azusa ChareteauAzusa Chareteau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are vital for people that care about educating themselves and can't afford to do it other ways. Libraries are also a social place for community, why would you shut them?

• Trish BurrowTrish Burrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries should not be cut - they are a vital and necessary resource for all members of our communities, from young children, through school children, students and working adults to pensioners.

Libraries allow access to information, a key principle of a democratic society.

I am appalled at the proposal to close almost half the libraries in the area where I live and think this must be stopped.

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we are all agreed. We don't want to lose our libriaries. What can we do about it? Are we willing to fight or is it just words?

• James MillerJames Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am concerned about the growing constraints on opportunities for lifelong learning and literacy, access to information, local history and free community space, if these disproportionate cuts to public libraries are imposed. They will create a social deficit and - in time, a consequent financial one - which will dwarf our current economic problems. We all continue to pay the same Council Tax therefore we should retain our existing library network. No-one voted for 500 or more library closures at the last general election.

• Dr Andy MillerDr Andy Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I owe so much to the local library in the town where I grew up - access to a wide range of books, free loans, and the hushed seriousness amongst all that learning. I want others to have the same opportunity and start in life.

• cathycathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you think you don't need libraries now, you probably will one day. Libraries are a rock and a safe space. They are your birthright by law. The plans to close libraries and cut back on the services they provide is symptomatic of the steady move to dismantle the fabric of a civilised society. Please fight for them

• Neil McCartNeil McCart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are not a luxury, they are absolutely essential for all of us - rich or poor, young or old - they give us learning, knowledge and culture. They are the very hallmark of a civilised society. We must prevent this mindless and nasty decimation of our beloved libraries. We owe it to our children, grandchildren and to future generations.

In the mid-19th century, when the provision of public libraries was being debated, the Tories were adamantly opposed to the idea. Why was that? The answer was simple, they well understood that books would give learning and knowledge to working class people, thereby making them harder to control and giving them ambitions beyond their lowly status in life. I would strongly suggest that this is a mindset which still lurks, barely hidden, in many hardline Tory minds.

We MUST save our libraries.

• Karen DevlinKaren Devlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are vital; they give us knowledge and exist for everyone, not just the privileged

• Julia StrongJulia Strong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are a key brick within the foundations of a civilised society. Everyone should have access to knowledge and power. If we lose our libraries, we are cutting off access to reading and learning to the poorest in our society. What sort of a society are we then?

Libraries are a key brick within the foundations of a civilised society. Everyone should have access to knowledge and power. If we lose our libraries, we are cutting off access to reading and learning to the poorest in our society. What sort of a society are we then?

• Suzan GriffithsSuzan Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries and library staff make printed and electronic resources available to all comers, to those who know what they want and those who need guidance on relevant material, to the young, the old, the housebound (via volunteers). Without staff selecting, protecting, organising, promoting and advising on the stock they become repositories, important but not as useful for the people who have financed the buildings and the stock in the first place

• lean garlandlean garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for time immemorial civilized societies have developed extensive libraries for prestige, the storage and dissemination of acquired knowledge.It says a lot about a town if there is no library,let alone a country.

Feedback and Knowledge Base