I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,982 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike StoresMike Stores commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are an essential part of our culture. We should be committed to libraries and learning. The Government should be ashamed of themselves.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been hearing a lot of people comment that libraries are outdated, this is far from the truth. In the age of technological advancements people are relying on libraries more and more to bring them the technology they are missing out on. Without my public library it would have been incredibly difficult to find the digital resources I needed for many of my college papers. Cheers.

• RitaRita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't even be a question. Don't make voters mad...keep the libraries open.

• Ruth GartlandRuth Gartland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest. ~Lady Bird Johnson

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~Jorge Luis Borges

Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark.... In any library in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed. ~Germaine Greer

• JelJel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without libraries to support those who make the best use of them, and without the bookstores the literacy of the world will decrease. They are really really important community services and meeting places. DO NOT CLOSE libraries- they are of significant importance.

• Vicky StantonVicky Stanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All libraries should remain open. They are a vital part of communities. Surely there are other ways of saving money

• ChelseadogChelseadog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Book shops are finding it hard to keep open with the current economy. People aren't buying books like they use. Hence another reason to keep all libraries open!

Book shops are finding it hard to keep open with the current economy. People aren't buying books like they use. Hence another reason to keep all libraries open!

• wendy millerwendy miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are a crucial hub of the community and so important for children to establish the reading habit and succeed at school. Internet access there may be the only access job hunters have for online applications and the access they give for online resources, information and a wealth of book stock cannot be replaced by a room of second hand books and volunteer staff.

• SarahSarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are a right not a choice. Even if you don't use them yourself, we have a duty to keep them open for future generations, they are a wonderful part of our society, they need to be treasured.

• Richard ChisnallRichard Chisnall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"you don't need to know much, if you know the way to your local library"

in these times, it seems that we're going to have to lift ourselves by our own bootstraps: and for that, libraries are essential

• AngieAngie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we expect reading and writing standards to improve if libraries are closed. Toddlers love visiting them and learn from pre-preschool!
        Also with EMA being removed and increased fees for students, accessible resources for education are more important than ever.

• Ivor BurrowIvor Burrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that it is appalling that the government initiated financial cuts are being used as an excuse by some councils to close libraries or to try and
        force local people to volunteer to keep them open. They are an essential publ;ic service and must be maintained as such.

1 2 5 7 9 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base