I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,982 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mrs G SpongMrs G Spong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another meeting took place with our local MP - it is quite obvious that they want to close the libraries - but WE won't let them.

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Diary date: Saturday 26 March 2011 promises the biggest national demonstration in support of public services organised by the TUC.
        Under the motto March for the Alternative: Jobs, Growth and Justice the event is one powerful part of the All Together for Public Services campaign launched by the TUC in September 2010 to challenge severe public spending cuts.
        The TUC's campaign site has a number of materials which branches can use to encourage local support.
        London march and rally
        BECTU members will be supporting the London march to Hyde Park. Assemble at 11.00 at Victoria Embankment between Temple and Blackfriars tube stations. Similar events will be taking place in towns and cities across the UK.
        Let's take our Libraries fight to London - we can join in

• Anja WilliamsAnja Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are so vital - community; learning; finding out things; public Internet; children; studies; themes...
        Libraries must remain public

• Johanna YaffeJohanna Yaffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as someone who lives abroad and is a volunteer at my local community free english speakers library, i am so grateful for it i can't begin to express how important libraries are to me. i can't read the local language well enough to use the public library here so i depend on this excellent free community library.
        i can't imagine what it must be like to have your local public library taken away. when i lived in england i was a regular library user from the age of about 6 or 7, as soon as i could read by myself. now in my late 50's like a lot of people i can't afford to buy books, except second hand ones, so i depend on libraries.
        getting rid of libraries is just a false economy, unless of course the government, local or national, just wants to dumb down the population. how can kids get into universities if they haven't caught the reading bug. not everyone is rich enough to buy their kids books every week.
        libraries are community centres, places of wisdom, meeting places, a safe haven..... and places to get BOOKS... we need libraries...

• evelyn knowlesevelyn knowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JUST STOP IT! STOP DESTROYING SOMETHING THAT CAN BE SHARED BY ALL AGES AND ABILITIES. BOOKS AND READING ARE AT THE CENTRE OF CIVILISATION.

• RoseRose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are an essential resource in the provision of information, knowledge, and access to the internet, which provides all citizens with the opportunity for self-development. As such they are a cornerstone of a civil and civilised society.Such a service needs trained, qualified librarians, supported if necessary by volunteers. To close or dismantle libraries at a time when we need to expand the nation's skill base in order to maintain a place internationally, is political suicide.

• Dave QDave Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No libraries should be closed, and no libraries should be run entirely by volunteers. The love of books and reading by children is vital for the future of our country. Save our libraries at all costs

• Francesca Luxmoore-PeakeFrancesca Luxmoore-Peake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Staffing libraries with volunteers rather than librarians to save money is like sacking teachers and replacing them with volunteers to keep schools open. Librarians are professionals and should be recognised as such.

• Mrs G SpongMrs G Spong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Save all libraries scheduled for closure - they are a lifeline to schoolchildren, young adults and older ones, too.

• EdwardsEdwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries shouldn't be a luxury, but kept as an essential part of our communities education, happiness and well being.

• RuthRuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, libraries need funding to keep up with 21st C developments. Where else does punchj suggest that there could be equal, free access to knowledge (in whatever technology format-and yes, books are a technology) if libraries are closed?

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would rather have a library still living in the mid 20th century than none at all. Perhaps small community libraries do not have the resources to keep up with 21st century practices if they are under funded. That is not the fault of the library and they should be honoured and celebrated, not closed !

• punchjpunchj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The challenge is that not ALL libraries are equal. The BEST are incredible resources but unfortunately there are many libraries that have not kept up with 21st century practices, technology, users needs or community needs. The level of local support is not consistent. It all comes back to awareness and perceptions. Breaking old sterotypes is essential as is creating awareness of the services being offered. If libraries only want to uphold the traditions of the mid 20th century - their time has come for closure.

• emma roper-evansemma roper-evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our local library runs a fabulous 'kids' club' with wonderful reading games, performances and readings. My daughter became hooked on reading by attending these. Given so many people are barely literate in the UK they are more essential now than ever!

Feedback and Knowledge Base