I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,982 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rebecca FieldingRebecca Fielding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the concept of even having to 'save' a library is a horrific thing to reconcile. sign this petition - our civilisation depends on it

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A vital record of history and culture. If everything becomes digital then when computers go bust we will lose all that information, unless libraries keep the hard copies which are also much more enjoyable to read and study than images on a screen.

• Trevor CraigTrevor Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They are under threat across the UK and the political class are supine because they don't use them or understand how vital they are.

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They talk in our area about Charitable Organisations which are to take over the libraries. Does this mean the poor volunteers have even more work to do? What will happen to the experienced, trained staff?

• Hazel RotheraHazel Rothera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the current age of austerity it is even more crucial than ever that public libraries, which provide access to books, DVDs, quiet study/homework space for children, computers and the internet, and professional help finding information, to all regardless of income, continue to be open and accessible. Challenge local authorities to pool back-office services, work more efficiently, and hold down councillors' allowances and salaries before cutting these essential public spaces.

• Andrea DuddingAndrea Dudding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Public libraries are under threat just as much as the NHS is; but because they are seen as an easy target to cut, they are being ruthlessly sacrificed on the altar of choosing between social care and libraries. This is indefensible as they are totally inclusive of all society, and give access to books, reading and information to those who cannot afford to buy a book. You can borrow books for free, access the internet, browse papers and magazines, ask for information and it will be found for you; learn new skills; research your family history .... In fact what ever you might be looking for you can find it or about it in your local library.
        Once they are closed, they will not re-open and our socirty and culture will be measurably poorer.

Lauren - I've signed. Shirley - I totally agree. Richard - Yes. joany - I don't understand the voting system either

• Shirley BurnhamShirley Burnham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sincerely hope that individual library campaigners and their supporters across the country will be urged to unite under the 38 DEGREES banner -- to challenge local councils and central government, as these officials duck and dive in their efforts to ignore them -- and their statutory duty.

There is real anger that the role of library staff is belittled, that book stocks are being decimated and opening hours slashed. There is dismay that rural villages are being robbed of their mobile services, that beleaguered residents are being press-ganged into fundraising and volunteering to prevent their libraries' closure and that hundreds of branches upon which neighbourhoods depend are now under threat.

Dear Catherine, What a perfect World you portray. The millionaires just give up their money and then in 5 years we return to council run libraries. Perfect. What happens when reality kicks in? The reality is that the libraries will be in the private sector, the millionaire would soon give up and the libraries would close.

• CatherineCatherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many millionaires and multi- millionaries in this country. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they might be persuaded to 'sponsor' a library for, say 5 years? This would be tax deductable for them, would enable this very important public service to continue and keep jobs from being lost. In five years, when we have a different colour of government, and the economy has picked up, the libraries can be returned to local authority funding.

Well we turned up at Endeavour House, Ipswich today. Where were you all? Sob !!!!

• SueSue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suffolk Libraries are still under threat
        At least 18 libraries may close according to latest Council papers
        Save Suffolk Libraries Event
        Thursday 14th 12 noon
        Endeavour House, Ipswich IP1 2PX
        See you there!

LAST CHANCE TO SAVE SUFFOLK LIBRARIES
        SCC meet on THURSDAY 14th JULY - ENDEAVOUR HOUSE, IPSWICH - 2pm. Bring banners/library book swap and picnic at 12 noon
        SEE YOU ALL THERE

Suffolk County Council meets at Endeavour House, Ipswich on Thursday 14th July - 2pm to discuss the libraries issue. Banners, book swap and picnic at 12 noon - see you all there !

Thanks Nick O. Reggie's fame won't go to his head as I'm changing his name in the stories. Thanks for the plug online. I've chosen 2 photos and printed them - they look great!

Feedback and Knowledge Base