I suggest a campaign about ...

Save May Day

May Day is an ancient British festival around since pagan times and is one of our few traditions left relatively intact. It has become associated with the working class and is now threatened by a government that wants to move it to October and reclassify it as a UK celebration day of some sort. This is a disgrace. For centuries governments have tried to repress this festival, let us not be the generation that lets it happen.

257 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tabitha MellorTabitha Mellor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MFPAMFPA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May day is a centuries-old tradition that, reportedly, dates back to an ancient pagan festival. The "may day" bank holiday is not an ancient tradition; it was introduced in the 1970s, and cramming it between Easter and Whitsun was hardly the most sensible time of year to slot in a new holiday. Late October, midway between August bank holiday and Christmas would have made more sense - or maybe early November for Armistice day.

@Lizka: the USA is not the only country to celebrate labour day some time other than early May. For example, Canada has it in September, New Zealand in October, and in Australia it varies by state between October, March, and May.

• EllieEllie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How foolish. May Day is an ancient tradition that cannot be simply swept aside at the whim of parliament. If they want to give us another Bank Holiday in October AS WELL, then fine and good, but do not attempt to meddle with British tradition.

• peter neguspeter negus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yet another attack on the culture and history of our green and pleasnt land. May Day must be saved!

• Charlotte West-OramCharlotte West-Oram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a ridiculous idea. May Day is a centuries old celebration of the arrival of Spring and also a traditional working people's holiday. Please sign up!

• JaneJane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. May Day celebrations are one our oldest celebrations and should be kept.

• Tabitha MellorTabitha Mellor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks guys...Mayday is one of our oldest traditions. The British people have celebrated this festival for centuries - it has real meaning and is celebrated with passion and ancient unique rituals. Since pagan times it has been a day for workers celebrating the start of true Spring and was finally recognised as a worker's day in 1978. This political pettiness is threatening something very real in our history - it connects us in a very real way to our past. Let us not be the generation that allows this to happen.

• kelkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is ludicrous. I am part of a small village who all get together with music, morris dancing and well dressings to celebrate may day. We don't need an engineered and created day in october to celebrate it happens anyway and May Day has real meaning and a point to it. Doesn't the government have anything better to do than this.

• LizkaLizka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stupid Tory Christian-right-wing kind of idea. Taking a swing at paganism, local folk traditions (I'm from Cornwall - Padstow Obby Oss, anyone?) and at the working class all at the same time. Bet that Stephen Green who campaigned against Jerry Springer the Opera loves this initiative! (& I thought the Tories said they were going to save us from "mad bureaucracy".) Anyway, this idea to stop the May Day Bank Holiday for a "Trafalgar Day" in autumn is quite plainly, a CRASS piece of jingoism and replacing a homegrown ancient tradition with sth manufactured and artificial. Tories telling ppl what 2think when they say they're not! I think the Tories are also just trying to copy the Yanks and their "Labor Day." They're the only country I know of who don't have May 1 as Labour/Trades Unions day. And a day for the workers without a holiday to mark it will be just as useless as a militaristic holiday commemorating some admiral who fought wars abroad.

• Steve AllenSteve Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May Day / Labour Day marks the start of summer with traditional dancing and activities. It is also a land mark for workers rights and the 8 hour day movement which started during the Industrial Revolution and was originated by Robert Owen a social reformer. It is a reminder of the poor working conditions and long hours suffered by adults and children of that time. We must keep an association with this day, and not let the Torys erase memories of what the ruling classes were capable of.

• S.O'NeillS.O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stuff "Best of British" day or whatever rubbish the govt is proposing- save May Day!

• Tabitha MellorTabitha Mellor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'May Day is a festival of purely pagan origin, a simple and spontaneous expression of joy at the beginning of true summer. ..The garlands still carried by children, the maypole itself, the old bonfires, the carols sung on towers and high places, and the now almost forgotten custom of spending the night in the woods and bringing back green branches in the morning, were all intended to mark the return of summer...the Puritans... ...recognised many of these customs for the fertility rites that they actually were, that they hated them so bitterly...Acts of Parliament and legal repression of the seventeenth century failed to suppress the time-honored traditions or eradicate them from the hearts of the people' (English Custom and Usage - Christina Hole 1941)

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base