I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Vince Cable reforming business tribunal law in a way which is friendly to employers

Vince Cable wants to reform business tribunal law to favour employeers. This is on top of looking at Employment Law and Trade Union Laws. We are heading for the dark ages, with workers having no rights!

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy Von PipAndy Von Pip shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gill PaczynskiGill Paczynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need people to be less apathetic about what is going on but in the meantime let's do what we can to stop the erosion of workers' rights. I don't see this protection as really stymieing jobs - many people have little or no idea of their rights anyway and can't afford to enforce them anyway - the Trade Unions should be supporting action against this.

• Andrew SherwoodAndrew Sherwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made a freedom of information request to the justice department to ask how many Employment Tribunal cases there had been in 2009/2010 for people that were employed between 12 and 24 months, and they did not know. How can they propose to change the law when they are blind to how this specific change will impact on people and their rights at work?
        Some of the proposals under the consultation document are good, like having ACAS mediate at an earlier stage, this has several benefits, like cost for individuals and organisations involved and the state, it also benefits all parties in the dispute because it lessons the stress and bad feeling involved and cases can be settled quicker.
        One of the main points that commentators in the media make and small business leaders make is that vexatious claims cost small business a lot of money, well these problems will be mitigated by the above change, but this can be done without affecting employment protection rights and opening the door to bad employers and practices.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 year is bad enough without any rights whatsoever - anything worse is just further degradation of working conditions.
        I suppose we'll be told to expect companies to behave responsibly & check themselves to make sure that they do...
        What was that you said? Oh, ok, yes of course - we're in this together. Fuck it, I'm going skiing.

• Malcolm HuntMalcolm Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are they going to reintroduce domestic coal fires, just so children can get work sweeping chimneys again too?
        The coalition basically wants to destroy a century of social reform to ensure quality of life, but don't have the spine to stand up to the big bankers and get them to pay up for all the tax they dodge.

• Andrew SherwoodAndrew Sherwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. The present 12 month limit for not being eligible to claim unfair dismissal does not affect job creation, like the government and small business leaders say. I heard Vince Cable on the news this morning saying that he wants to have a greater involvement of ACAS, which is all very good but this should be the case without changing the 12 month period to 24 months.
        You hear members of the business community saying that they are afraid because they cannot dismiss people if they are under performing or have been dishonest because of employment law. This is rubbish the law allows for fair dismissals but there has to be due process, only when there hasn't been due process or discrimination a case can be brought. Employment law is about the only area of law that ignorance is an excuse, and the decrease in the employment protection only increases this discrepancy.
        There is plenty of help for employers from business organisations or ACAS to make sure they have the information they require to be able to discipline employees at present. This change allows unscrupulous employers a way of bullying and victimising vulnerable employees and it will result in a degradation of everyone's working conditions.
        It will make it harder for employees to raise H&S concerns, or get representation at work.
        It will make it easier for employers to stop people from joining a trade union, disregard H&S regulations, drive wages down, & change Terms and conditions with impunity.
        Yet again the ordinary working man and woman will pay the price for the banking crisis and there will be another instalment of the race to the bottom

Feedback and Knowledge Base