I suggest a campaign about ...

Save the BBC World Service, stop the cuts

Please help fight to save the World Service as you did with 6music. It is by far the most important public information network available around the world, and the only one that prides itself on filtering through unbiased and uncensored information to its listeners. It's possibly the only new service available that has the most direct means of saving peoples' lives and that affects their welfare.

263 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Leo TongLeo Tong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Phil UKPhil UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keep the World Service and cut down the the number of presenters on the BBC news programmes

• Russell W. BarnesRussell W. Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Short-wave transcends political boundaries, cannot easily be denied its target audience without resorting to expensive radio counter-measures, and is cheap and unobtrusive to receive where such activities are frowned upon. Keep the BBC World Service on short-wave.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A vital service to the world. something that Britain can be proud of. How many in the world identify with our values

• Brendan MooreBrendan Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please take up the fight to keep this essential information lifeline available where it's most needed by continuing with shortwave transmission. Don't let this beacon of hope for oppressed peoples be extinguished.

• maggiemaggie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have already signed this petition to save the BBC World service. Its ironic that I am allowed another forum, to advocate my views, when so many have so little in terms of truth. This decision is in my mind about access: without the World service people will have less access to truth, and the right to reason, to debate, to protest, to be themselves. -I hate speaking in cliches, but I am going to, cause I can, - and that sums it all up for me. Because I can - I am informed by an impartial News service, that makes me swell with pride. Help...

• Deckster76Deckster76 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only save it, but keep it transmitting on shortwave. We have seen in Libya and Egypt how the internet and mobile phone networks can be disconnected at will, therefore cutting the flow of information. That's harder to do when impartial news is broadcast to the whole region from a transmitter out of reach of the authorities.

• Chris BoothChris Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paying for the World Service is a drop in the financial ocean, and surely does more good for the world, and the UK, than 90% of the DFID budget.

• fayzfayz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Britain, don't give aid to our governments and don't help us financially, but pls do not deprive us from knowing and learning what is happening in our neighbourhood and in the world. Don't let us to fall in to the trap of the most corrupt governments propoganda, such as Russian, Chinese and Iranian external broadcasters. Please.

• DariaDaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need the bbc. really. it's the greatest inspirational and educational source

• Vivien MarshVivien Marsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop this senseless cultural vandalism and wilful neglect of less fortunate parts of the world.

• Zina RohanZina Rohan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cuts to the World Service are cuts to information many parts of the world need and now won't get - especially when short wave broadcasts are cut in India and Africa. It's also bad for Brand Britain to lose so many listeners.

• louise ryderlouise ryder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

World Service has no global equivalent in terms of objectivity and quality. Government clearly sees it as a soft target - don't let it be victimised.

Feedback and Knowledge Base