I suggest a campaign about ...

An end to the flawed technology of wind "farms"

Wind "farm" technology is flawed and has been disproven. It's "popular" because the huge corporations make vast profits from the subsidies available.
If no other fact persuades you, our coldest spells of weather coincide with no or little wind and thus windfarms are redundant at times of peak demand - as happened in December.

1,501 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard GilbertRichard Gilbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

620 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ian TerryIan Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all the decisions made in parliament over the last few weeks by politicians that don't understand and don't give a stuff, turbines and the pylons will carry on till 2020 by then they will have enough and the subsidies will stop. We will be paying for them until 2045 and beyond. By then most of the country will be in fuel debt and poverty and it will only be the land owners that will be able to pay their bills on time. The only alternative now is for the 100 odd in Westminster who are trying to get things changed to pressure the Renewable Energy Controlled and Unionist Party to start paying out for the damage to peoples lives and loss on their property values. Any other project the size of this with all the upheaval would have secured compensation to those most affected. Turbines are not so sexy as super fast trains. No matter how much all the data is showing the total madness of this country's energy policy, in light of the scientists changing their views and accepting that a lot of it was suspect to say the least nothing is going to change and it is only when this country is energy bankrupt will all those who agree with this madness will be seen saying " It wasn't me I didn't support that" just as they do over membership to Europe. Only one party supports the stopping of this RE scam. Good on ya Nigel. The world faces a far bigger problem than energy supply. It is providing enough food for the ever growing population.

• Kae MargettsKae Margetts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To People in Power - Please leave our beautiful countryside alone. We love it just the way it is! We do not need windfarms and the associated hubs and power lines, thank you very much!

• P F PerkinP F Perkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree.

I hope you can support my proposal for Cheap Clean Energy. When you have read it, I am sure you will.
        Best wishes, Paul.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Wind "farm" technology is flawed and has been disproven." By whom?? If so what form of power generation do YOU advocate?

"... our coldest spells of weather coincide with no or little wind..." Really??? So why has this icy North Easterly been blowing for over a month.

I am not saying I disagree or agree, but please don't make unsupported statements.

• petepete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what I would like to know is this, most of the blades are made of carbon fibre nanotubes, there is no known means of recyling such a material. So when blades are faulty, or fail, or the turbine is decomissioned what is to be done with the massive blades. Plus this is even more worrying, Carbon fibre nanotubes is being compared to Asbestos for it's potential damage to human health. It is known that carbon fibre when stable is one thing, but if it is subjected to impact, and or fire, the material becomes unstable and very dangerous. It is not something that you want getting into the water table, the food chain, be it in crops, or cattle. We all know that wind turbines go wrong, fall over, catch fire etc. we know that the blade debris can be scattered over a very large area, why is there no conversation about the dangers posed to our food chain, water supply, human health by such events. I have heard it said by some that wind turbines should not be sited in agricultural areas because of the risks, and by rights where ever they are placed the land should be downgraded to become a brown field site.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't need wind power. It is not 'non polluting' and it requires 100% back up. Not one conventional power station will close. Germany, who quickly announced the closure of all nuclear plants following the disaster in Japan of the old, due to be shut, nuclear facility that was hit by an earthquake and tsunami (not likely to happen in UK - ever!), who also has a large wind fleet is now building over 30 new coal power stations to stop the lights going out. Too much money is wasted in wind energy that should be used to research more efficient sources. It is nonsense to suggest it can ever be more than a token gesture in our energy requirements.

• Ian PirieIan Pirie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea muddles several different issues - I sympathise with anyone living near a proposed wind farm, but this is a planning issue: offshore windfarms should be supported, as should small-scale wind generation. Agreed the large power generators (EON) should not be allowed to do as they please - again this is a political issue and not to be used against wind-power per se. We need windpower: it is green (non-polluting); it is not the only sustainable source - sun, tidal and geothermal should all be developed as well. The message that will be given by voting for this plays into the hands of the nuclear industry. Sorry, but I cannot support this as it stands.

Unsightly, dirty to manufacture and damaging to wildlife. A real blight on the English countryside.

Ban these windfarms now!

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad you are not going on and on. The people who have voted on this are, in the main, people who have researched the subject and know the facts. Wind is not clean, green or free and anyone who has been directly threatened by an industrial wind farm on their doorstep knows this. The campaign against wind is growing fast here and globally. It is expensive and we pay for it all via energy bills, costs passed to us by industry, our council taxes and our government taxes. It is a scam and is being exposed as such on virtually a daily basis. Keep voting, keep campaigning and lets stop this insanity once and for all!

• richard hoylandrichard hoyland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need wind power, and other renewables.
        Cost per megawatt of capacity at 30% of rated capacity - lower than any other renewable - approaching that of gas (if you ignore the environmental cost of gas)
        Cost of the 'fuel' (ie the wind) - nil, future cost of 'fuel' - stable, how does that compare with other technologies including green ones like biomass. Solar fuel is free unless there is another use for the sunlight like growing crops instead of covering fields with panels. The £ and the carbon cost of solar is much higher than wind. I could go on and on but it is a no brainer - wind generation is part of the answer. Support wind farm development, don't vote for this one please.

I agree with all the comments on this site. I live in a small hamlet in Cornwall which is surrounded with turbines, with a planning application in the pipeline for two giant turbines less than half a mile from my house. As this is an area of outstanding natural beauty it beggers belief that our County Councillors approve of this madness.

I agree completely. The only people who seem to support these are either those who profit financially, city-dwellers whose lives are not blighted and those who completely fail to understand that no energy is free or un-polluting in some form or another. Visual, noise and flicker pollution is just as insidious and unacceptable as any other. Wind energy technology is deeply flawed. This petition should go ahead.

I totally agree. Wind energy benefits only the landowner and the developer. The rest of us just have to pay for more expensive electricity which is no greener than normal electricity - since they have to provide nackup.

• John OharaJohn Ohara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Local planning consents don't apply. Our fascist leader got the planning rules changed selling to us as a simplified system, of course he lied as usual. The situation now is that with major large developments such as and especially windfarms it's the Secretary of state who makes the decision on sites selected by Government as suitable. Local planners and local people are EXCLUDED from the process. And you thought we lived in a Democracy. Cameron Clegg Osbourne IDS have fascist tendencies and the arrogance to assume they know best

• John OharaJohn Ohara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree totally. Eon want to develop a site close to where we live erecting turbines some 225 mts high. Eon have tried to influence a public questionnaire by excluding large parts of the community from taking part in the questionnaire. This is misrepresentation, the Secratary of state for energy is disinterested. The only way wind farm development will be halted will be to get the subsidies reduced. It's our money and the government must be stopped from throwing our cash away on stupid innefficient schemes which in the main benefit foreign companies. Eon will get between £250 and £300 million for the Isles development in County Durham

This is a disgusting waste of tax payer money which could be used to save the environment rather than destroy it with an info-structure of ineffective energy production. The subsides will benefit large companies from abroad which have already part dis-banded this energy idea and are now trying to cream the milk over here before pulling out leaving our country devastated, our nature violated and our communities destroyed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

Feedback and Knowledge Base