I suggest a campaign about ...

A referendum on the future of the Lords

A campaign for a referendum on the future of the house of Lords. As things stand, the future of Parliament's second chamber (the Lords) is going to be decided exclusively by the first chamber (the Commons). It's like the criminals deciding the make-up of the judiciary. Parliament belongs to the people; *we* should decide its future. To achieve this we must campaign for a referendum. Then we can have a proper debate and vote for the legislature that we want, rather than having their choice forced on us.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard Quinn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Quinn commented  · 

If you are wondering whether to vote for this, remember:

How we make decisions is the most important decision we make.

• Richard Quinn commented  · 

Dear Joe and Thomas

Thanks for your comments, but the issue here is about getting a referendum so that we have a say in the first place. At the moment, it's the Commons that is going to decide the future of the Lords, and they don't give a stuff what you and I think. If you believe that we, the people, should decide the future of the Lords, please give this campaign suggestion a vote or three.

Cheers
        RQ

• Thomas Greaves commented  · 

The Lords should be 75% elected, 25% appointed. That way, you keep expertise in the house, but make it accountable and legitimate.

• Joe O commented  · 

House of Academics for a more progressive society; not house of Lords for a mild conservative bias in our law making!

Not to mention it's a mere archaic, elitist overhang from a different time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base