I suggest a campaign about ...

HS2 - High Speed Rail Link. We dont need to spend £160m per mile

Costing over £160m per mile, the proposed HS2 High Speed Rail Link will not only help further bankrupt our country but will slash and scar our countryside, leaving a permanent reminder to our children of politics gone mad and a dynasty of greed of gargantuan proportions.

4,517 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joanne BarnesJoanne Barnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1068 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Di de WoolfsonDi de Woolfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a recent roadshow it was evident that many of the important decisions about engineering this project have not been considered, let alone costed. For example, possible solutions to excessive noise in our local village included huge clear screens, earth banks or concrete - who want to travel at high speed, between 14 and 17 trains per hour each way passing each other in this claustrophobic environment, cut off from the damage that has been caused. Let's find other ways to keep the construction companies in profit, this is not it!!

• Katie BanfieldKatie Banfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. tunnelling under the river misbourne will bleed it dry, not good for the eco-system, water supplies may be contaminated. Far more roads will be built to service the maintenance sites. Only limited number of people can access and use. HS1 sold off at loss

• Katie BanfieldKatie Banfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so unnessary, only much larger counties doing this over larger stretches of land. Y route will pass through old mineshaft areas,and tunnel through shale and sandstone, not very safe. Time on trains not wasted, commuters use mobiles, laptops and can get a meal in. With trains having 1100 capacity and 14 going each way, where is the demand for these numbers? Criminal waste of money when health, benefit, student and school spending cuts being imposed. This is such a mistake and it is already costing us so much money, must be stopped.

• Martin KeenMartin Keen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The environmental costs alone should be sufficient to stop HS2. By costs I mean the destruction and fragmentation of wildlife habitats, in particular the 51 areas of ancient woodland. There will also substantial noise polution in what should be tranquil countryside, light polution and the violation of what is supposed to be a government designated and protected AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY!!!

• Robert DaleRobert Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This money should be spent on upgrading the existing rail infrastructure and improving education and health. Not pandering to political whims.

• Penny WilsonPenny Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The National Ecosystem Report issued last week might just wake David Cameron up in time to see how much more damage HS2 would do to the environment. But has he been in a dream world until now, did he not think of the destruction to the environment likely to result from this unnecessary project. This says it all..... when one of the "experts" at the Dft Roadshow replied to an enquiry by a concerned resident as to how the Muntjack would cope with crossing fields that were once their chosen footpaths, trying to dodge trains travelling at 250mph, he said "What is a Muntjack?"

• Christine TigheChristine Tighe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No business case, too expensive, will be redundant before completion. Will cause absolute devastation to livelihoods and countryside.

No business case can be demonstrated, massive cost to ALL tax payers, ruin livelihoods and the countryside. It would be out dated before it finished if the reason for it’s existence; commuting to and from London for business meetings, as in sixteen years from now, the majority of business discussions will be via video links as it is done even now in most countries. If business is done between different continents NOW, it is usually conducted via video link due to time and cost. Stop the HS2 NOW, re invest in the current rail infrastructure which would cost a lot less and not devastate the countryside nor livelihoods.

No business case can be demonstrated, massive cost to ALL tax payers, ruin livelihoods and the countryside. It would be out dated before it finished if the reason for it’s existence; commuting to and from London for business meetings, as in sixteen years from now, the majority of business discussions will be via video links as it is done even now in most countries. If business is done between different continents NOW, it is usually conducted via video link due to time and cost. Stop the HS2 NOW, re invest in the current rail infrastructure which would cost a lot less and not devastate the countryside nor livelihoods.

• Andrew BarnesAndrew Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The consultation period ends in July and people of the country need to reply to the questionnaire http://highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/ Jo Pearson is right it's not just a local issue but will affect everyone in the country. There's no business case, environmental case or job regeneration case. Improvements should be made to existing rail network with alternative RP2 which will cost less and will take 5 years

• Paul HealyPaul Healy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's find out which companies stand to make a killing and which MPs hold shares in those companies

• Jo PearsonJo Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time is running out - people need to be encouraged to reply to the questionnaire at http://highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/ before the end of July. It is not just a local issue with the huge amount of money involved. Those who live near the routes north of Birmingham need to be aware as well as to how it will affect them.

• Mike BoyleMike Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked the question 'at what point will the scheme break even' answer? Oh, we haven't thought about that! Business case? What business case?

• frecklybirdfrecklybird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went to a HS2 consultation event where I was subjected to a ropey business case, questionable "evidence" no tangible benefits that I could see. However lots of suits on obviously good salaries....

I went to a HS2 consultation event, ropey business case, questionable "evidence" no tangible benefits that I could see. However lots of suits on obviously good salaries....

I went to a HS2 consultation event, ropey business case, questionable "evidence" no tangible benefits that I could see. However lots of suits on obviously good salaries....

• SiouxSioux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This scheme will ruin historical and natural beauty in its cause to line pockets. Our children will grow up in a butchered landscape and good people will loose their loved homes. It is ridiculous to spend this amount of money on a project that will ruin more than it gains.

1 2 6 8 10 53 54

Feedback and Knowledge Base