I suggest a campaign about ...

HS2 - High Speed Rail Link. We dont need to spend £160m per mile

Costing over £160m per mile, the proposed HS2 High Speed Rail Link will not only help further bankrupt our country but will slash and scar our countryside, leaving a permanent reminder to our children of politics gone mad and a dynasty of greed of gargantuan proportions.

4,514 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joanne BarnesJoanne Barnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1068 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before even considering a project like HS2 get the basic infrastructure of the country working correctly. Make good all the potholed roads (that are a danger to users), remove the bottlenecks from motorways such as the M25 where traffic joins & leaves the M40 & M4, put flood control measures in place to prevent a repeat of this years debacle etc.,etc.

• SativaSativa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know anyone who agrees with the HS2 -apart from the government and those who will make money from it.

• SativaSativa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many more important things to spend this vast amount of money on.

• robin barlowrobin barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well some parts of the country might need it and do want it. For example, Shrewsbury and stations from mid-wales connecting into Shrewsbury. Virgin trains had an application for a fast service to London turned down as the current, recently upgraded line through the Midlands could not take the extra capacity. Personally I would prefer a HS2 that avoided London and just linked the rest of the country rapidly.

• Kevin AndersonKevin Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

destructive, futIle, hideously expensive and from a travel point of view useless. I'm for any campaign trying to stop it.

• Tom HeydemanTom Heydeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reinstatement of rails removed from existing routes such as Leamington Spa to Birmingham would improve journey times at little financial cost and with negligible environmental impact. With a single pair of lines on that section, "express" trains, are now significantly slower than they were with four lines in 1937, stopping local trains setting the pace.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if the route is going to destroy any of the MP's properties or the royal families mmmmm I guess no they live in a different world why destroy peoples live and destroy our countryside. these people may be educated but they have no sense or any heart sack them is what I say and scrap their stupid bankrupting ideas.

• Angela FryerAngela Fryer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We must challenge all political Parties to listen to the electorate and stop HS2 now before the costs escalate any more. We will leave a burden of debt for generations to come

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve what we already have, 20 minutes off a London to Birmingham trip is not worth 160m per mile.

• Kevin CockroftKevin Cockroft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally undemocratic. All three main parties support HS2 so there is no voice in parliament for those who oppose it. The economic argument for it is unproven and the vast majority of people on the route will gain no advantage from it and will suffer all the environmental impact and loss of facility.

• Elaine HancockElaine Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HS2 have ignored the facts when local people inform them of errors on their maps .They do not seem to care.Due to their belief that a stream was not the one they thought it was huge areas will be dug up to reroute it.A canal in the north is having the same problem.These people are incompetant.They are being paid by the taxpayers but will the power that the government has given them they continue.It will be a fiasco like the west coast main line franchise.It must be stopped

• sbsb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HS2. Instant blight, property worthless. Compensation scheme? WHEN? If we, In our ordinary lives, damage something we pay up immediately so why not the bloody Govt?

• Wendel T. LawrenceWendel T. Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ancient woodland gone forever so that the already too rich can use our taxes to increase their profits? they can fuck right off.

• Ian ButterworthIan Butterworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The journey time saved is minimal; working on the train means the value is even less. To increase capacity they can increase platform length. To keep the economies of intvening communities going the trains must stop there.

• Jenny ShaveJenny Shave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Members against hs2 please use your votes if you are seriously for this campaign . Unless there are lots of votes 38 degrees won't even look at it! Put your money where your mouth is and vote.

• David BaynesDavid Baynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to me that there a number of suggested ideas around HS2 issues on 38degrees. Is this a good time to pull them together?

• Andy LeeAndy Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this project is that the proponents will have long retired before anyone finds out that it has been a complete waste of money. If the Government needs major construction projects then there are many rail projects that can bring real benefits in a much shorter time scale

← Previous 1 3 4 5 53 54

Feedback and Knowledge Base