I suggest a campaign about ...

Save National Nature Reserves

Vote to save national nature reserves from privatisation.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John GirdleyJohn Girdley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard BealeRichard Beale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are 140 National Nature Reserves in England and the government wants to hive them off to charities such as the National Trust and RSPB, and then reduce the funding. Like the proposed sale of Forestry Commission land In England this is a 'sale' of the nation's natural assets for dubious financial benefit. We must campaign to stop this.

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following from my note half an hour ago, I`ve had a quick look and J. Rollins` article `Countryside in Crisis` (26 Nov 2010) is still on the site, with an additional feature `Countryside for Sale` added below it.

We will hear more on this issue yet, I`m sure.

You have a point, Garburb, I think we should be treating this site as a forum to share information etc more than we do currently. Time and again I see potentially interesting topics raised with insufficient info to help me form an opinion, and like most people I have time-consuming work and family commitments so it`s just not practical to look into every little thing that crops up.

I don`t in any way intend that as a criticism of John Girdley, who raised the issue, as I`m glad he did so.

I`m not sure if the Walkmag features I referred to are still on line - but I`m sure if you contact them, they`ll help out.

There are a lot of bravely anonymous people online I notice. I always ignore them. Life is short, after all.

• GarburbGarburb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gentleman, I'd like to see a little more info like Nick O's link before I feel confidently able to vote on this issue.
        Less comments like the ones left by anonymous would also be an improvement.

There`s been some coverage of this and related issues in the Ramblers` magazine Walk - www.walkmag.co.uk . I gather there are similar plans for the Forestry Commission and the British Waterways Board.

• John GirdleyJohn Girdley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Concern has been fuelled by the government's recent spending review which has raised the threat of cuts to the parks' budgets, and suggested that economic value should be the guiding priority for Defra. Ministers have also confirmed that they are still hoping to find buyers or new managers for national nature reserves in a bid to cut costs.....this must be stopped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base