I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

891 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mellmell commented  · 

access is the right for everybody to enjoy the waterways not just the rich landowners

• Eric DaviesEric Davies commented  · 

I would like English access rights, including waterways, to mirror those that work so successfully in Scotland.

• Calum RogersonCalum Rogerson commented  · 

It would make so much more sense to have access laws like Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC), which really is a great approach to adopt. It does however, need to be adopted, hand in hand, with plenty of education to ensure that those using the outdoors do so with the respect that it and its other users deserve. The Leave No Trace Principles (www.lnt.org) are another really useful way to look at things and are central to the SOAC. Fingers crossed these changes eventually go through.

• William GarrardWilliam Garrard commented  · 

Voting for freedom to enjoy the waterways and countryside

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

And Mr Wadforth, falling off your bike at the school gates and then growing up and imbibing heartily of earths dry tea does not make you the spokesman for the way things shouldn't be doing. Does it not, or does it do'int? Apart from that, I'm sat where I shouldn't, kind regards x

• Gary WadforthGary Wadforth commented  · 

also people don't forget to vote as well as comment. Open England up

• Gary WadforthGary Wadforth commented  · 

I feel that we should definitely have the same rights of access to our land as Scotland has, it is a ridiculous that people are not allowed to enjoy vast areas of our countryside in areas where no harm would be caused. open the land and rivers to us!

• Jim SnapeJim Snape commented  · 

Its about time that we have better access in this country. Ive lived in the country my entire life within viewing distance of a river that In parts has no access. As a kayaker its infuriating that the percentage of rivers with access is so little.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

The only country in the world with equally restrictive river access rights as the UK is Iraq. This campaign is a no brainer.

• Peter MoorePeter Moore commented  · 

We are deprived of a basic right of access to our inland waterways for peaceful leisure use. Unbelievable, in the 21st century.

• KayakowenKayakowen commented  · 

The UK has a growing health and fitness issue, let's inspire the nation to get off the couches and get out and about in 'our' countryside and on 'our rivers', changes need to be made to support this dream!

• Barrie DobsonBarrie Dobson commented  · 

Can we please keep politics out of this!!! Mr Mc Broon and his mate Mr All Balls had plenty of time to put in new legislation but messed it up in England whilst favouring the Scots Mafia
        jbd

• MarcusMarcus commented  · 

Come on 38degrees - get this one to those tossers in the EU who are forever sticking their noses in. If those murderous buggers in jail can have "Human Rights" indoors behind bars after creating victims, then us folk who stick to the Law should be allowed "Human Rights" outdoors and not have to be victims or archaic Laws, greed and "Land value" which only seems to matter to sodding career politicians, looking after their own finances, pensions and backhanders. The English countryside isn't the soul property of thieving the Tories, Tory farmers or stuck-up golf course/bowling green owners - again, usually Tories. More Open Access, more National Trails, more Wild Camping ground, less bloody Private Land, roads, and Tescos!

• atrebateatrebate commented  · 

I live in the 9th largest English county by area (1,455 sq miles), and 'officially' there are 3 miles of navigable inland waterway. This short distance is shared by a population of nearly 1.3 million people (although a very small percentage of them have rather more private access). So how does that fit with the 'fairer' society I keep hearing promises about?

I live in the 9th largest English county by area (1,455 sq miles), and 'officially' there are 3 miles of navigable inland waterway. This short distance is shared by a population of nearly 1.3 million people (although a very small percentage of them have rather more private access). So how does that fit with the 'fairer' society I keep hearing promises about?

• Pauline GibsonPauline Gibson commented  · 

Much land was originally held "in common' but hugh swathes of land passed into private hand thanks to the Enclosure Acts, passed by M.Ps, who had to have a property qualification to be in Parliament anyway. The attitude to land ( and rivers/lakes) access in this country is positively medieval . We need land reform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base