I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

891 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian CooperAdrian Cooper commented  · 

Why is it so hard? No other country in world accepts the current position.

• carmen smithcarmen smith commented  · 

With the right to roam laws, i simply am astonished that there is no similar access to waterways. I cant even begin to think of a legitamate reason why not?
        There are far more implications than there will ever be on land than waterways surely.
        I enjoy caving/pothoming , and am astonished at some of the restrictions based on Ignorance there too.

• Tim BTim B commented  · 

I've kayaked in many countries all over the world, yet the only place that I've ever been told that I can't kayak because there is no right of access is back here in England/Wales. Why?!

• MWHMWH commented  · 

Wales and England, the only countries in Europe, probably the world, where you get hassel from people when on the water.

• Steve LeeSteve Lee commented  · 

What we need is legal clarification of our existing right to access rivers.

• Neil LawNeil Law commented  · 

Surely the default position for all land and all water should be "Free Access" leaving it to whatever interest groups or individuals to prove a need to restrict access?
        It seems that the assumption across the board, right or wrong, is that access is denied unless specifically granted.

• Pete KnightPete Knight commented  · 

I agree with Duncan that the rights are already there, just that the land owning gentry and fishing clubs are militant in their beleifs that we do not belong on 'their' rivers. The public need to know what pressures and restrictions that paddlers are put under just to partake in a low impact, environmentally freindly pastime.

• Duncan MacLeodDuncan MacLeod commented  · 

I believe we already have these rights, but it would be better for any ambiguity to be removed, as is the case in Scotland (and the rest of the world).

• JamieJamie commented  · 

A just cause.

• Pete KnightPete Knight commented  · 

In Derbyshire we have access to under 1 kilometre of moving water, an appauling state for a National Park

• Keith DayKeith Day commented  · 

Currently England and Wales seem alone in Europe and the English speaking world in not having a general right of public access to inland waterways. Currently only 4% of rivers have a clear right of access for canoeists, wild swimmers etc

1 2 41 42 43 45 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base