I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

891 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • beebbarbbeebbarb commented  · 

With a lack of official outdoor pools and increasingly warm weather we need as many outdoor swimming places as possible.

• A B MesshamA B Messham commented  · 

In these days of shrinking freedom I feel its essential for now and the future to improve rites to the countryside especially waterways

• matt fmatt f commented  · 

dont forget to vote Sam

• sam leydensam leyden commented  · 

It should be a lot easier to swim in rivers in England

Simon Barber, you have not yet voted,, confusing mystery, i know, most people are caught out by it, thinking they have voted when they have not.

Please try again!

Swimmer are welcome!, as are all people from all groups who wish to have greater access to the countryside

Only together can we turn this situation around for the benefit of the majority

• Simon BarberSimon Barber commented  · 

Open water swimming should have the same rights as walking in open countryside. Away with litigation and hello to personal responsibility and enjoyment!

• Steve winterSteve winter commented  · 

As both a swimmer and kayaker I believe the access arrangements in this country need a damn good shake up. I don't believe I've ever hurt any fish in the above persuits, but I know I did when my brother in law tried to show me the excitement of flyfishing, I paid a small fortune to feel sick when I reeled in my first and only trout! Mind you it was great eating!

• Annette Annette commented  · 

Didn't realise I how to vote, I have used up my 3 votes now

• paul paul commented  · 

Why does England have to live in the dark ages? What harm can a quiet little swim do to any English landowner?

• Annette Annette commented  · 

England and Wales need to catch up with Scotland. Wild swimming is fantastic exercise and fun. Boo to the nanny state, yay to personal responsiblity and considerate users of all water bodies.

• JaneyJaney commented  · 

Definitely agree.

• katekate commented  · 

Definately agree that open water swimming should be easier in England - we need more rights.

• GambatteGambatte commented  · 

Can’t wait till easter, the lake opens and 6am open water swimming before work starts :-)

• Chris AyrissChris Ayriss commented  · 

Outdoor swimming in rivers and lakes was the norm prior to the industrial revolution. Control of the working class saw swimmers chased out of open waters and confined to indoor swimming pools. I hope that the prejudice shown towards swimmers will soon be eradicated. http://hungouttodry.co.uk

• Doug Dew Doug Dew commented  · 

Guys, comments are great, and don't forget to vote... if don't have a number next to your name, you haven't voted... you can give up to three votes.

• TaniaTania commented  · 

If Scotland has access to their waterways why not the rest of UK?

Feedback and Knowledge Base