I suggest a campaign about ...

Force supermarkets to deal with all their packaging

I am re-inspired by the book 'The Story of Stuff'. We know we throw too much away into landfill. ..the book highlights the take-make-waste theory and that it's not sustainanble to use resources once and then throw them away. Supermarkets have enough profit to deal with the products that they make. The true cost of the manufacture must include the reuse of the packaging. Let the private companies deal with the waste they create and not the government. Our council and collection system and the landfill were never designed to deal with the level of consumerism we are living at now.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Hapi's Eco AreaHapi's Eco Area shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John FreestoneJohn Freestone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was searching the campaign suggestions for this kind of issue. I'm struck again by the problem here of votes being diluted between several similar campaign suggestions. I am going to vote for another, "To reduce the level of plastic food packaging", as being worded more broadly (it's not just supermarkets that sell over-packaged items). I do hope something can be done about merging suggestions, or including the vote-count of similar suggestions in each other's count, to give a better reflection of people's feelings. I don't post this to compete with this suggestion, but here is the other in case people wish to compare (and there are others on the boards):

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1801197-to-reduce-the-level-of-plastic-food-packaging

• Michael  AllenMichael Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the '70s there was a too brief campaign to remove all unwanted packaging at the check-out counter and leave it for the shop to deal with. This should be revived and continued - for ever - as a social duty (much like putting litter in the bin), so that all shops remain on their guard.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I lived in Germany in the 1990s and all supermarkets had to have indoor areas where you could unpack purchased goods and leave the packaging there for them to deal with. As a result, unneccessary packaging dropped significantly and what packaging was used became more recyclable. If we did the same here, I bet the results would be similar!

Feedback and Knowledge Base