I suggest a campaign about ...

national strike of no confidence in the coalition gov

a campaign calling for a national strike against government cuts and of no confidence in the present administration. A call to all unions, students, unemployed, low waged and anyone with a sense of justice.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    grahame hullettgrahame hullett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John JonesJohn Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stated in an earlier comment that I believed that it would be impossible for the Queen, acting only as Head of State, to call for a Dissolution of Parliament and bring down this Government. It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that I am WRONG! I accept the greater knowledge of others regarding this matter, and I agree that IF it be possible then that should be the way to go. However, I STILL believe that the proportion of folk willing to support this action would - unfortunately - be insufficient to bring this about. More pressure on the LibDem part of the Coalition to break away might do the job IF Nick Clegg is dumped, and I believe that in the light of the twists and turns that Clegg is being forced into this is more likely. The general strike option is, sadly in my opinion, a non-starter: people have over the years been educated away from striking, supporting strikers and joining the Trades Union movement, as the "me first" attitude has strengthened since the Thatcher era. People seem not to want to be a part of a group if it in any way threatens their own status or well-being...

• John JonesJohn Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It rather surprises me that the LibDem MP, Sir Bob Russell, would want to "ConDem" his own party on these threads, particularly as his own party does not espouse the idea of the UK leaving the European Union, and that is one of the objectives of the English Democrat movement that he endorses here. If Sir Bob were to endorse any impetus aimed at ridding the LibDem Party of Nick Clegg as Leader I would support him, and if he openly and actively campaigned to break up this disastrous Coalition and bring down the Government I would applaud him loudly - but I bet that he won't! So long not in government is an incentive for the Libs NOT to rock the boat too much; in mind perhaps to continue to occupy their seats for a little longer - and four terms of office is a good run, Sir Bob...

• Sir-Bob-Russell-MPSir-Bob-Russell-MP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only one problem. Labour are as bad as the Con-Dems. What we need to do as a whole is to push our collective voting-power and block-vote for one of the faster-growing smaller parties such as the English Democrats. They do at least, seem to be their own party rather than a different coloured variant of one of the big 3 (I'm talking about 'UKIP' here).

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello all, I have zero confidence in our current rulling coalition government.
        Should any of you folks have to hand the pre election tv debates then I would urge you to view them again, think of where we are now with nearly every promise broken and you will know that this governments use by date has long expired.

• barrie lbarrie l commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this useless coalition government has nothing for this country at all if u look back through history tories have pamperd germany for years by one sided trade the tories encouraged german rearmamentin the 1930s and they are still doing it today but through economic course europe does not want brittain only as a cash cow

• Steve PSteve P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shambolic government is causing great harm and distress to everyday vulnerable folk, the bankers caused the economic crisis, the previous administration spent money hand over fist that they didn't have and this government is compounding the situation again by using these problems to attack everybody else instead of their friends and paymasters.

They have to go..

* Get us out of Europe and save £14bn a year.
        *Stop overseas aid (continuous aid, not Immediate aid in times of catastrophe)
        * No bankers bonuses until the public are repaid.

• suzannesuzanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree with this, such action has worked in the past, and could do again.

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will you all please email 38 degrees... Compromise in your phrasing of "NO CONFIDENCE" and start a collaborative spearhead campaign, aiming right at the heart of this GOVERNMENT?

Will you all please email 38 degrees... Compromise in your phrasing of "NO CONFIDENCE" and start a collaborative spearhead campaign, aiming right at the heart of this GOVERNMENT?

• jamie knightsjamie knights commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't a matter of capitalism versus Marxism.
        Capitalism works well under some circumstances; retail i.e. buying and selling physical "goods" in shops, where there is completion and free and universal access to different products.
        It fails utterly when there are monopolies. Nearly all the multinational corporations are effectively monopolies as they have huge tax advantages (due to off-shoring multinationals don't seem to bother paying much tax anymore), access to credit and leverage over their suppliers and customers.
        The economies of scale mean new entrants have very little chance of competing. The connecting feature of the system that brings the advantage of scale is the world finance system, based around tax havenry and preferential lending to multinationals through equity.
        The world financial system as we can clearly see also causes wildly varying prices and costs due to fractional reserve banking causing inflation and recessions. These effects wipe out smaller companies but leave intact the big players.
        In the long run, this system also remove "public goods". The debts built up by the private sector, in a financially caused recession clearly pass to the public sector that each wave is forced to permanent contract. In the upswing, the private sector doesn't make good by paying taxes to reverse this position.
        If we don't change we will be left as powerless thralls to a rich global elite who treat us as slaves. There will be no state safety net left to save us from this.
        What we need is to think about our economic systems in terms of whether they are democratic or not. By this I mean does the system serve the majority of people and does it allow universal access without encouraging monopolies.
        We can reform our current system over time to serve us all. To do this though we need to tame the financial system which is at the heart of it at fault and causes the problems we are seeing. We need to move slowly by increasing contingent capital requirements in banks, to a system with no fractional reserve banking. We need progressive tax rates that redistribute wealth from the very top to the 99% of people below this. We need reform of political funding and the media to prevent greed undermining democracy. We need an end to tax havenry and secrecy.
        Politicians (particularly the current lot who are funded by big finance) will want to keep the current system just as it is because they benefit personally. They have more chance of being re-elected if there is no reform because the City and media will fund them. Even if they lose elections, if they've been good and not pushed for reform they will get massively paid directorships.
        At the moment if we want to fix our problem the best levers to push are democratic ones. Please, push our politicians to find change by protesting about the current system. Protesting against the cuts is a cry against the symptoms but not the cause.

• David AnthonyDavid Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This injustice simply cannot carry on. Cameron will not stop until he has destroyed all of our public services, the standard of living for the poor, and our economy.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and the worrying thing is, is that this is just the beginning... wonder how much the population will change in the next couple of years after he has systematically made millions jobless and unable to afford to live...

Lets do all we can to effect a change of government and work towards a more democratic electoral system.

• jamie knightsjamie knights commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before we go to a full strike, can I borrow your votes to try and get the coalition to collapse by petition by emailing lib Dems and demanding they defect to labour?-

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1500039-email-letter-to-lib-dem-mp-s-urging-them-to-defect

If the petition doesn't work we can always all then vote for the strike!

• Tracy WooseyTracy Woosey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GET THEM OUT NOW BEFORE THEY DO ANY MORE DAMAGE.
        The Tories had two Resections the last time they were in they are no better now as we head quickly towards another. What we need is a revolution..

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There seem to be quite a lot of people up for some kind of action in this area. Unfortunately though, a general strike would probably be unlikely since Thatcher made them illegal in the 1980s (and New Labour never repealed the legislation). So, short of an all out revolution, no union would back this for fear of legal retribution, and workers would risk being fired for taking part in an unofficial (re: illegal) strike.

The other suggestion, which is that Labour call for a vote of no confidence, would also be unlikely to succeed as the coalition does have a small majority in the House ...that's not to say that they shouldn't give it a go after the Tories and LibDems get hammered in the local elections in May!

However, here's my suggestion for a possible action we can take — it's legal and would at the very least create a media stir — which is to petition or send letters to the Queen asking for her to sack the Prime Minister, dissolve parliament and call a general election, because ultimately she is the only one who CAN authorise it.

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1477687-petition-the-queen-to-dissolve-parliament-for-a-ge

• HadEnoughHadEnough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to pool all the various pages strune across the web into one coherent voice, that way we may just get the devil twins into the job centre along with all of those they have and are continuing to put there themselves with their ridiculous policies. CamClegg have got to go.

• rachel huntrachel hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the coalition government has completely overstepped their mark and are now organising themselves to serve them as a party rather than being a representative of the people. Whether or not it changes the situation, we have to make a large scale stand to show them that we aren't just going to comply and meekly accept their ridiculous approach to 'reform'

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base