I suggest a campaign about ...

Scottish Independence

No matter whether you are English or Scottish; Scotttish Independence is the correct way for the british isles to survive

295 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AWT01AWT01 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LangoLango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where will the border be?? Do the people of Berwick, Hawick or Gretna want to follow Scotland's answer to Martin McGuiness to an independent state like the Irish Republic.....boom-to-bust??

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The people of England , Wales and Northern Ireland should have a say in whether Scotland leaves the Union and whether they should retain a currency union.
        Do the people of Shetland and Orkney have any say in their future.

• LangoLango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mr Salmon promises lower taxes then
        More spending on the Scottish Health service, and
        Free education up to 18yr, then
        Free University education, no tuition fees,
        Better health care for the elderly.

How is he going to pay all the doctors, nurses, teachers and tutors in his Utopia?
        Or are they all going to do their jobs for free??
        He's another Gorgon Brown, Scotland.s answer to Jerry Adams.

• AnthAnth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the Scots do go independent, then they MUST leave the Pound.
        Scots independence must and will need a Tartan-Dollar or the Euro...their problem.

The Rest of the UK do not want them still hanging on.

If a teenager wants to leave home...fine..let him...and let him pay his own bills.

The people in Northern Ireland are pleased to be in the Sterling-zone, while the people of Southern Ireland HATE being in the Euro-zone.

Your choice Mr Salmon.

• AnthAnth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the fishy, tetchy, podgy Pied-Piper gets his way and leads the children of Scotland on the path to self-rule, will he give the people of the border towns the choice of remaining in the UK or following him on the road up Glen-Gomara?

The current Scotland/England border is an antique artificial anachronism drawn up long ago by long forgotten Army-Generals on old maps, now woefully out of date. In the intervening few hundred years the people between Newcastle and Edinburgh have worked to produce a better United Kingdom, where the border is an interesting oddly irrelevant sign post on the roads north/south..

If Scotland does turn and goes native BraveFart, will the citizens Berwick on Tweed, Gretna and Hawick get the choice as to which side of a revised border they wish to be belong. Similarly what will happen to the people of the Islands of Orkney and Shetlands? Both groups independently-minded, who have worked hard to keep a united kingdom. The people on Shetlands may prefer their old landlord further North rather than that nest of in fighting vipers in Edinburgh.

• M CunninghamM Cunningham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nationalism is a very dangerous concept - just look at History - Nazism for one.

I am proud to be British and also proud of my Scottish roots but I want to be cosmopolitan not parorchical. Do not be swayed by the rhetorick of Alex Salmond, he has only one thing in mind - Independence whether it is good for Scotland or not. Look at the detail - how will Scotland survive - what will we lose?

More Scottish people need to stand up and say what they think and what are the arguments - talk to the ordinary man in the street. Tell him what it really means rather than some airy fairy concept based on the Battle of Bannockburn and William Wallace. I think we have moved on from there.

this site concentrates a lot on english issues - think of the Bristish Isles as a whole and help us her in Socotland who will be "frightened " if independence is achieved.

If Scotland is not a part of the UK then England and Wales can look forward to decades of rule by the Tory party. Is that what England wants?

• Eleanor CrosbyEleanor Crosby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone campaigning to support the retention (and strengthening) of the United Kingdom. I'm sure that we are better off together, with our wonderful diverse history, landscapes and natural resources. Diversity yes, division no!

• Derek ScottDerek Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's with the stupid comments about Scottish people being Jocks, we don't go calling you Johnny English. There's no reason for the Scottish people not to retain the Pound. English bank notes are legal tender in Scotland. As for the comments about the airforce and Army we have airforce and naval bases in Scotland you numptie! RBS is actually floated on the Stock Market so isn't actually Scottish but English bailed out by taxpayers in England and Scotland! Send us the money from oil revenues from North Sea oil after all the oil rigs are located in Scottish waters. Bye bye.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes i agree i will certainly be voting for them to go ,away the jocks ,oh and get yourself a currency while your at it ,and an airforce and an army oh better make it a navy too,and just for good measure you can pay half the bill for everything including the debt and rbs bye,bye

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am totally against Scottish independence but I will consider it if Alex Salmond would answer about foreign policy -would a independent Scotland join the UN, NATO or the EU ?????
        And would a independent Scotland take a share of the UK deficit???
        I don't believe that a country should only rely on oil, which run out within 40 years.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also vote on the Campaign for an English Parliament we want independence too.

• Kenneth, Selkirk, ScotlandKenneth, Selkirk, Scotland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There isn't a country in the world which celebrates "Devolution Day". Scotland needs to be Independent. Why, when the rest of the "British Empire" has been granted Independence, does England insist on holding on to Scotland and Gibralter

• taimoshantaimoshan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately John Doy deploys a typical English view of how Scotland is funded. Scotland sends approximately £120 billion in revenue to Westminster each year. In return we get a block grant of something less than £30 billion and approx £10 billion in social security benefits. We pay more per head in taxes than all of the 12 "regions and nations" with the exception of London. We pay more per head to the defence budget despite London Labour cutting 9000 defence jobs in Scotland over 13 years. We pay to put power on line for you in England - English power companies are PAID to do the same. Read yesterday that more of your nuclear waste is Scotland bound. People in Scotland who favour independence don't want it "both Ways" we just want to keep our own money and run our own country. It is estimated that an independent Scotland would be the 7th most prosperous counry in Europe - the UK 17th.
        Research the facts before you make a fool of yourself again and remember England would not be so determined to hang on to Scotland if there was not something in it for them. I hope my post explains clearly enough for you!

• john doyjohn doy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have no problem with Scottish independence if Scots vote for it.
        They can then collect their own taxes and pay their own bills, and of course not need the £20 billion subsidy from England.
        I am not a devolutionist. I believe in the union and think all laws should prevail nationwide, but if the Scots and welsh want independence then it should be total.You can`t have it both ways.

• taimoshantaimoshan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given the lies by the UK Government and Scottish Labour over the release of Megrahi i'm only more convinced that the sooner we get out of this corrupt union the better!

• Pádraig de BúrcaPádraig de Búrca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite our present difficulties in Éireann, I would humbly suggest as did the graet Mohandas K. Gandhi that "any nation would prefer its own bad self-government to the most benign rule of foreigners". Alba saor abú!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base