I suggest a campaign about ...

Protect Education Maintenance Allowance

The coalition announced plans to scrap Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). Many young students from low incomed families depend on this money to help their education, such as buying books etc...

The EMA bonuses have already been scrapped however now they wan't to scrap it all together which will show no positive effect, but surely show a bold negative effect.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    G-STAR01G-STAR01 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard BradfieldRichard Bradfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my observations, the problem with EMA is more to do with how is is (or rather 'is not') managed.
        I know of instantces where the daily qualifying for EMA (by attending the college) is the ONLY reason that some students turn up at all. And they then don't bother to participate in lectures etc. If they can get a fellow student to 'sign in' on their behalf - so much the better, for them.
        The net effect is to ensure that a significant number of so called students with abslouty no intenstion to particiapte in courses are denying places to others who would, and are a complete distraction for serious students and lecturers alike.

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should we consolidate our votes to make them count and pick a campaign that best suits the "No Confidence/ General election vote?" I personally feel no confidence says it all and should then lead to a general election.

• DarrenDarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EMA is vitally important to many young people across the country. Scrapping it will remove options and oppertunities from thousands of young lives. We need to stand up for them

• KellyKelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with EMA i had to work while i was studying, and without it i wouldn't have been able to go. If all the plans about education carry on like this, the rich will be educated and the poor won't regardless of any actual academic talent. It does a disservice to anyone who is capable, as the value is placed merely on coming from a high-income family.

Feedback and Knowledge Base