I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop EU legislation wiping out ancient and effective traditional herbal medicinal cultures

It's serious and it's imminent. After April 2011 lots of herbs from traditional cultures (Chinese medicine, Ayurveda) will disappear unless we campaign hard. We have to stop EU legislation steam-rollering traditional medicinal cultures in Europe.

646 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sophie MiddletonSophie Middleton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

232 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a herbalist and Chinese Medicine practitioner. I have been practicing for over 16 years and have had no adverse effects with any of my patients.
        Herbal medicine in most cases is not toxic due to the fact natural substances are being used with little processing or doctoring.

Why are such decisions being made with little or no data outlining real risk associated with herbal medicine. If you want the industry regulated then do the research before making the decisions. Ensure the decision makers have a no bias approach

• margo van der voortmargo van der voort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is my Human and Civil right to chose what heals me. Herbal medicines have saved my life. I trust it, I like it, I grow them and no EU law is going to take them away from me. Commercial pharma companies cannot claim herbal medicines, they will reproduce them with poison and lace them with chemicals to spread more illness amongst the healthy. Put me on the stakes for deliberately breaking this law, time and time again.

• Louise LindeLouise Linde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really outragous. I don't understand how narrow minded and ignorant legaslators are concerning nature's medicine. Herbal medicine is my first choice since it is very difficult to get harmful side effects and the dosing can be accordingly to your needs. Have been on regular stuff before and got all kinds of side effects - allergies, hormone changes etc so for me there is no choice. It should be the reversed - since regular school medicine often just cure a symptom not the root. Legislate against pharmaceutical instead - they are often tried in a wrong spectra and the side effect is really what the medicine is about. Get a grip!

• Alex NHAlex NH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people rely on herbal medicine to support their health and it should remain their choice to do so. Herbal medicines are not harmful when taken correctly (and very, very, very rarely harmful if incorrectly taken). Pharmaceuticals, on the other hand, cause harm on a daily basis whether they are correctly taken or not!

• DD GreenDD Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's time to remove those responsible for this legislation from their positions of power. I don't care if they have to be exterminated. Extreme oppression deserves extreme retribution.

• dirkdirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received a reply from my MP today about this subject ... fight on, they don't like it up 'em!

• SeppSepp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our health depends on natural options, which are being wiped out. Pharma is insisting that herbs are dangerous. Probably they mean dangerous to their profits.

• Mazzy ChristieMazzy Christie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As usual, the government are scared that herbal medicine will take over and stop making money for the parmaceutical companies

• David FMCDavid FMC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, mind you, the one herb that I KNOW can help me and my family will still be illegal.

• Ian HilbertIan Hilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idiotic behaviour makes it more imperative for all good people to say to compliance with the authorities on things that do not concern them. And it also makes it all the more imperative to get on with learning to grow our own herbs and plants - and to swop the results - GROW HEMP - its the answer to the oil crisis!! - http://www.youtube.com/swatcomms#p/a/u/0/FOAW_sxijhs

• bridgettbridgett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i don't think they're losing their trust in nature, they just know nature is better than man made and they are afraid more people are beginning to know it also, hence the fall of man made chemicals. we can't have that, there's alot of money in it. make people sick, they're in the system for life. all fear based for control and power. poor things.

• Jacqueline MolonyJacqueline Molony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How sad to see the government losing their trust in nature and support the things that consistantly kill people each day ie, smoking and drinking. It makes it all look far too obvious that the government operates like this due to the profits cigarettes and alchol makes. Why else would they continue to support such man killing habits that cost far more than any herb or vitamin. And they are wondering how to cope with the continuing high number of ill people and rising?!

• Fleur ChurchillFleur Churchill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This directive does nothing to protect consumer safety and is a tragedy for human rights and human health in the EU. It favours (very) big business and will destroy a proud, important and vital section of the British economy. It is absolutely ludicrous that herbs that have been used safely throughout history will be completely removed from the market.

• Liz BrealeyLiz Brealey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I was ill the NHS had nothing that helped me. This led me to learn about herbs, and to discover which ones helped my condition. It is not appropriate for the EC to take this away from us.

• Roger GroosRoger Groos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a naturopath, having used herbs for many years, I will be unable ot use noes not licensed since I am not a qualified herbalist and cannot register with the HPC. So, its not just health food shops whihc will lose many herbs, it is also practitioners like myself. GRRRR.

Feedback and Knowledge Base