I suggest a campaign about ...

Interception Modernisation Programme (IMP)

The coalition government has recently approved a Billion pound scheme by the intelligence agencies to store details of every online conversation.

The daunting 'Interception Modernisation Programme' (IMP) means internet service providers (ISPs) will be forced to install interception equipment in their networks to store sensitive details of who contacts whom, when, where and how via services such as Skype, Facebook, webmails such as Hotmail, and online games.

It is likely that Deep Packet Inspection technology will be configured by GCHQ to capture such data from passing traffic and store it in archives run by communications providers. The same technology will also allow for the content of communications to be intercepted, although this requires a warrant from the Home Secretary Theresa May.

After the election the coalition said it would "end the storage of internet and e-mail records without good reason". But the Strategic Defence and Security Review shows that Ministers believe the program to be necessary in the intervention of possible threats.

"We will introduce a programme to preserve the ability of the security, intelligence and law enforcement agencies to obtain communication data and to intercept communications within the appropriate legal framework," the Strategic Defence and Security Review says.

"This programme is required to keep up with changing technology and to maintain capabilities that are vital to the work these agencies do to protect the public."

"We will legislate to put in place the necessary regulations and safeguards to ensure that our response to this technology challenge is compatible with the government’s approach to information storage and civil liberties."

We want the Coalition to keep to their principles and we want to retain our Human Rights manifested in personal privacy which this program clearly violates.

174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Benjamin David NBenjamin David N shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All Out of George Orwell's 1984 together with the Ignorance is
        Strength Mentality of far too many Supine People

• Robert Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All Out of George Orwell's 1984 together with the Ignorance is
        Strength Mentality of far too many Supine People

• Andrew McLeodAndrew McLeod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how does this work Johnny? This suggestion with a mere 135 votes and a rank of 121st has already got a campaign started, but others with thousands of votes have not! I'm not saying that this isn't a worthy cause, but somehow this doesn't look very democratic.

And how come you've started a campaign on this issue and the first I've heard of it is via your comment here? Shouldn't I have had an email about this new campaign, or be able to see it on the active campaigns page?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hasn't anyone heard of Echelon? The only reason they want it in law is to use it for prosecution.

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should we consolidate our votes to make them count and pick a campaign that best suits the "No Confidence/ General election vote?" I personally feel no confidence says it all and should then lead to a general election.

• EE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How outrageous.
        Defend our freedom and liberty against ALL costs

• SiSi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My great granddad fought a war against this kind of thing.

• ColinWColinW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISPs ALREADY do this. How do you think copyright lawyers like ACS can get court orders to send out illegal filesharing letters? I suggest you have a look at the hacked ACS datasets on wikileaks. You will see that the ISPs list name & address of subscriber & details of files shared, downloaded & uploaded. Same with websites visited.

Have you never heard of itemised phone billing? Phone records again are available under court order.

• Hannah WinstanleyHannah Winstanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is completely frightening to think that literally 'big brother' will be watching everything we do. What's next, camera's in everyone's homes? Phone taps on every line? This cannot happen.

• Robert LeeRobert Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not acceptable for ISPs to monitor their users, especially without obtaining a warrant first. They are not the police; the government should be discouraging such vigilante action, not encouraging it.

This will do nothing more than encourage the widespread use of encrypted communications, which will make it easier for real criminals and terrorists to communicate freely, and harder for the authorities to search through the noise.

Feedback and Knowledge Base