Campaign suggestions

Uservoice is now closed

If you feel passionately about an issue, you can start your own campaign about it here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/

It’s really easy to get started, but if you get stuck there’s loads of tips here:
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/cby-tips/

Want to connect with other members? There’s lots of lively discussion on our Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange

Or why not meet other members in ‘real life’?! Find out if there’s a local 38 degrees group near you here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/local_chapter_collections/1

And if there isn’t one, set one up! Sign up and create one here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/users/sign_in/events

Want to get in touch with the office team? You can do that here:
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/about/contact-us/

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Petition Government to ban short selling of UK listed company stocks

Short selling of stocks impacts everyone's pensions, it also impacts anyone's other investments in UK listed companies. Suppose your pension advisor invested £100,000 of your pension pot into RBS shares just prior to a gang of stock short sellers attacking RBS stock, within a few days the price of the stock has halved and your pension pot is now worth £50,000 less. A typical scenario that happens to many stocks every week. The majority of people don't realise that short selling has been impacting their pensions regularly. Short selling should be illegal. Short selling is when someone, or mostly an…

386 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      35 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
    • NHS to Adopt a Simple App Programme to Reduce Obesity-Related Costs

The Office of National Statistics said obesity is costing the NHS £4.2 billion a year (Social Trends 41 - Health 2011).
      At his first speech since the election Health Minister Jeremy Hunt said, on obesity, culture change was needed.
      Simon Stevens, Chief Exec of the NHS has called for 'bold action in tackling the rising tide of avoidable diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer......using a full range of tools at our disposal' - prevention is a key factor in the NHS's manifesto for the next 5 years.
      I therefore suggest a campaign to request of these two gentlemen that the NHS…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
      • Transatlantic trade and investment partnership (TTIP), a huge trade deal being negotiated behind closed doors at the European commission.

Oppose the transatlantic trade and investment partnership (TTIP), a huge trade deal being negotiated behind closed doors at the European commission between EU bureaucrats and delegates from the US. Amazingly it proposes "tribunals" which are nothing to do with our law where international companies could force our government to change their policy on regulating large areas of the economy: food safety, NHS and social care, drug regulation are just some examples. It could make 38 degrees and our parliament largely irrelevant ! The European Commission supports it. Resist !!!

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Stop HMRC Selling Tax Payer Financial Data

The plan for HMRC to sell tax payer financial data has just been announced. I really think we need a Care.data style campaign - which was immediately successful in achieving a significant delay to those plans. There's an article here http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/18/hmrc-to-sell-taxpayers-data. These plans to sell so-called 'anonymised' data are really wrong!

22 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
          • Introduce Unconditional Basic Income (UBI) in the UK. Replace Welfare.

Let's move a step into the future. A step that would make our world a better place and solve a lot of problems like homelessness, hunger, minimum wage and employee strikes.

Introducing a (UBI) Unconditional Basic Income allows each and every UK citizen to receive a sum amount of money that allows you to live with the bare minimum without the need to go through tests of legibility.

It would become a human right to receive enough money to live on.

How nice would that be?

We all know how unfairly treated the citizens of the United Kingdom are by…

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
            • Nepotism is corruption

In all areas of the jobs market - from the media to the NHS - I am either witnessing or hearing about nepotism in how positions and perks are being allocated and secured. It is often a familiar story: commonly someone ensuring that a relative gets a job, but there are also many instances of ethnic and gender favouritism going on. It's rife and has clearly worsened considerably since austerity policies began and the competition for jobs tightened. But it remains deeply wrong, unfair to our young people whatever their background... and at root corrupt. As with any form of…

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Replace the bedroom tax by a tax on second home ownership

Replacing the bedroom tax, which discriminates against the less well off, with a tax on second homes would be one of many ways to help towards a fairer society. Second home building as part of a policy of building simply on the grounds that there is a “demand” has resulted in the ruination of vast swathes of our coast and countryside, caused wildlife habitat loss on a desparate scale, wrecked communities and contributed to problems arising from climate change such as flooding. Britain is too small and overcrowded for such uncontrolled development to be sustainable. Also it does nothing to…

38 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Economy  ·  Admin →
                • Stop takeover of AstraZeneca and other uk companies

Other countries protect their important industries and research facilities, lets not see losses like Cadburys.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Arms Length Government Body to Repatriate Profits from ShortSelling

We need a government funded body to assess and claw back all profits ever made from short selling and redistribute those monies to the then legitimate true owners of the shares/paper. Sounds difficult, not very difficult. Create loads of jobs for fair-minded people. Reasons:- The shares/paper didnt really exist as they were not part of the issued share capital of the organisation concerned, therefore they notionally belonged to you and I, the legitimate owners of those shares/paper/bonds etc. Fairs Fair!

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Wonga. Need for strict regulation and penalties.

Their recent £2.6 million fine imposed on Wonga by the FCA for malpractice (pretending parts of their operation were non-existent legal firms; highly illegal!) is petty cash for Wonga. The real question is why do they still have a licence to trade with a record of proven malpractice?

Withdrawing their licence, or altering it with much more restrictive conditions on what they can or cannot do, would seem to be the way forward here. It is what other European countries do with this sort of lender, after all.

Also the possibility of criminal prosecution needs to be looked into. They…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • STOP HMRC RAIDING PEOPLES BANK ACCOUNTS WITHOUT A COURT ORDER

Innocent people face having money taken straight out of their bank accounts under draconian powers to be used by the taxman.

A Treasury plan to allow HM Revenue and Customs to remove cash from bank accounts without a court order is “very concerning” because of its history of mistakes, a Commons committee said.

In a consultation document this week, HMRC said the "direct recovery" powers could be used to take money from joint accounts.

Treasury committee says that taxpayers could suffer “serious detriment” if officials are able, either by mistake or through an “abuse” of power, to take money from…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • CoOp bank no longer ethical or democratic

I’m amazed that nobody else seems to have talked about this. The CoOp bank is being bailed out by non-ethical companies. Members can't have a say as the directors have such a large block vote that nothing makes a difference to what they want. CoOp members are effectively being held to ransome, as there is nowhere else to go for instance access to money. Members should threaten to close their accounts and all ethical people should make their feelings known. We can’t just stand and watch.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Taxing Overseas Corporations - Using a Transaction Tax

I want government to create a new tax 'Transaction Tax' that is levied at the point of sale and can be set against UK corporation tax. Using this instrument it would force overseas corporations to pay some corporation tax in the UK. Transaction Tax that is not off-set against UK corporation Tax would remain in the governments coffers.

E.g. Amazon pays 15 Transaction Tax when it makes a sale - lets say £1000. The VAT mechanism would collect this cheaply. In our example Amazon would pay £150. This could then be off-set against UK Corporation Tax. So other than cash…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • HMRC having powers to raid tax payers bank accounts without a court order to claim unpaid taxes

HMRC having powers to raid tax payers bank accounts without a court order to claim unpaid taxes

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • recruitment agencies using umbrella companies who only pay minimum wage

to get round paying the average per hour rate
                                Recruitment agencies treat their employees likeself employed and when u actually get your week wage its minimum wage even tho u signed up for 10.00ph... It's a tax haven con

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Help the poor by burdening them only with indirect taxes (VAT), by moving all direct taxes to taxes only above an income threshold, average

Help the poor by burdening them only with indirect taxes (VAT), by moving all direct taxes to taxes only above an income threshold, close enough to the average income or median income, so that all poor would be unburdened,
                                  especially for all funding to public authority, local authority, council tax, taxes on compulsory insurances, motoring insurances, on energy, TV Licence funding, tax on personal transport, such as vehicle tax/road tax (for a few of them, instead of a zero rate below, an extremely low rate may be used), so that public contributions are really from those have more to contribute…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 100% mortgages to people who have rented longer than 3 years?

I find myself in the position of renting a 3 bedroom house with my partner , I'm a postman , she's a nurse , we have 3 kids and rent a 3 bedroom house now for us to get a 3 bedroom house we need approx 10-15k in savings?. Why can people who have rented for 3 years or more never missed a payment , be offered 100% mortgages as were in most cases paying more in rent than we would of if buying the house?

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Bring the banksters and puppet politicians to justice !

We are all sick of the current political system we want real change! We believe that the banks and the politicians in their pockets are the real reason Britain fails to provide service for its people. The national debt should be wiped and the banks put back in their place .

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Cut to 10 percent Vat on pub and food service outlets. To keep pubs afloat ,jobs and social structures.this would more than retain the tax t

This is to save pubs which are dying. The overheads are enormous, with rents etc. they provide many jobs and are a social asset. The tax lost would soon be regained with increased turnover.there is already duty on the drink so vat is tax on a tax like petrol.staff pay tax too. Business rates are greedy, no wonder so many are going bust. As it is now people can't afford to eat out.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • RBS bankers bonus is 81% public money

George Osborne should vote against 200% bonus as it is essentially 81% taxpayers money. By definition every taxpayer in the UK has a stake in the government's shareholding in RBS.
                                          The bailout to save the bank came from the public purse. Since when was it Chancellor's job to actively vote for commercial bankers to pay themselves obscene wages with tax payers money? This bank is currently under investigation for deliberately bankrupting small businesses and the stripping of their assets. Less than a year ago it was fined £390 million for its part in fixing the LIBOR rate and in Dec…

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)