Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. An inquiry in to the poisoning of high numbers of raptors across the country by land owners breaking the wild birds directive legislation

There have been large numbers of Eagles, Buzzards, Hawks etc poisoned this year.
    The RSPB and other wildlife organisations put lots of work and money in to trying to protect these magnificent creatures and land owners worry about them taking the pheasants (an introduced species) which the land owners and their friends like to shoot. Native species of birds are being deliberately poisoned in favour of an introduced species. This is illegal and more needs to be done about it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • RBS bankers bonus is 81% public money

George Osborne should vote against 200% bonus as it is essentially 81% taxpayers money. By definition every taxpayer in the UK has a stake in the government's shareholding in RBS.
      The bailout to save the bank came from the public purse. Since when was it Chancellor's job to actively vote for commercial bankers to pay themselves obscene wages with tax payers money? This bank is currently under investigation for deliberately bankrupting small businesses and the stripping of their assets. Less than a year ago it was fined £390 million for its part in fixing the LIBOR rate and in Dec…

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Close the Fixated Threat Assessment Centre and pay their victims compensation.

The Fixated Threat Assessment Centre breach Human Rights and Civil Liberties. They deny victims access to lawyers and arrest and hold people purely based on rumors and lies. I lost my job because I was held prisoner for 4 months purely as a result of false information. They government are breaching Magna Carta by allowing the FTAC to continue.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Prisoners should not profit in any way from their crimes. I refer to Millie Dowler's killer.

Should MP's be allowed to have debts waived, say sorry and still sit in Parliament. What affect will this have on the young and impressionable? Many pre-school children are still up for the
          6 O'clock news.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Prisoners should not profit in any way from their crimes. I refer to Millie Dowler's killer.

I can't get my head round a child killer inside for life can gain monetary payment because he was badly beaten up by another prisoner. The easy solution would be to put him in solitary confinement for life.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • MRA Regulatory Consultants

Offering services in medicines regulatory affairs throughout Canada. Call + 27 (0)12 803-1039 /-6223 /-5955 now, for further information. Info: http://www.mra-regulatory.com/

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • abolishing benefit sanctions...everyone needs to eat.

Many people have died already because of their monetary support being cut. Does the British taxpayer want the government to deny people with no other means of support the right to eat. How are benefit sanctions even allowed to happen, stop them now.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Improve standards of debating in the house of commons

Improve the quality of debates and PMQs by removing from the chamber any member that makes noise while another is speaking.

Repeat offenders could be barred from the chamber for a period of days, seated in the naughty corner or given a large bright hat to wear.

To allow members the essential facility of expresing their 'considered opinions' of support or opposition to notion the notion being voiced they can all be issued with a pink feather duster and a large noisless baby rattle to wave in the air.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • UGC - Underground Coal Gasification should be banned

Fracking is bad. The UK & the Worlds public are waking up to this fact, however behind the scenes Undergound Coal Gasification is being scecretly pushed through by the Tory & Lib Deb Coalition and UCG is far worse than Fracking.

The UK's massive coal reserves are being sold off at a fraction of its worth to a tiny minority who will reap massives profits whilst causing massive ammounts of polloution - ths costs of which will be passed to the UK Public.

Please read this and then vote for this campaign

http://frackingfreeireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Theft-Of-Austerity-Britains-Coal.pdf

http://frack-off.org.uk/creeping-inferno-underground-coal-gasification-threat-comes-onshore/

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Stop the BBC's Excessive spending on the World Cup

I've just read (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2595844/BBC-taking-272-staff-World-Cup-Brazil-equivalent-25-football-teams-DOUBLE-ITV-workers.html) that the BBC intends to spend £12,000,000 to send 272 people to cover the World Cup. Spread over a year, that's almost £33,000 per day for one event. I think this is an excessive squandering of public money (maybe they're giving each of their staff a £90 England shirt for the trip).

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Media & the arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Save BBC Three

The BBC are planning on cutting the channel BBC three from our television and only putting material online. For years BBC three has been a source of new comedy and has helped to kick start the careers of many people who are now household names. Programs such as 'Gavin & Stacy' which helped get James Cordon's career going would have struggled to gain the funding and audience which they deserved without the support of this vital BBC three channel. Can the BBC really justify taking away such a vital tool to our emerging comedy acting and screen writing scene?

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Media & the arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Protecting London's skyline from over-development

London is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, visited by millions of people providing jobs, trade and wealth for the UK and its residents. Part of what tourists come to see is the London skyline with its diverse and historic architecture dating back to per-mediaeval times. London is in danger of being totally trashed by the ludicrous high-rise developments which have been given planning permission with no thought for the impact of these developments on the Capital city, its workers, its residents or indeed its infrastructure.

Some very high profile people have signed a petition to prevent…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Chocolate pushing at newsagents (WH SMITH, McCOLLS)

Every customer has to be asked if they would like some chocolate. There is often a wall of family sized bars on the counter, many of which are on special offer. At toddler eye level there is a tantalizing array of coloured wrappers which can be grabbed and offered up to their adult hopefully.... or just put in their mouth! LIDL have healthy tills where fruit, nuts, seeds and sugar free chewing gum are on visual display. The last worker at McColls told me Cadbury paid them to ask...but I don't know if that's true. What I do know is…

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make The Government give Funds necessary to tackle £billions in NHS Fraud

I think we should now be targeting what appears to be the real reason for the NHS financial failures. What has now been brought to the surface is the 5 Billion pound per year Frauds. According to the news. This comes down to bad management by the Governments that have not put the necessary funds in place to combat these fraudulent practices. I consider it an abrogation of the Governments duty not to make sure such an important Thing has the NHS is managed correctly. Isn’t this what we employ them to do. The NHS is there for the Health…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Library closures.

I would suggest a petition against the closure of smaller, local libraries, and the opening of newer, larger libraries.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Big landowners,including the C of E have registered their interests on the Land Register. This affects people's houses!

Villagers in Stottesden Shropshire had a bill for repair of the church chancel. People have been told that the local lord has mining and other rights which might affect their gardens or undermine their houses, even if they have paid up their mortgage! These ancient rights must be repealed in Parliament urgently. They are NOT democratic!

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Ban the sale of prong dog collars, aka pinch collars

These dog collars have metal prongs on the inside to deliberately inflict pain to the animal when it strains on it's leash. They can be effective for large and/or aggressive dogs that the owners find hard to handle, which means they substitute good training for brutal pain and torture. Many of these collars pierce the skin and cause open, bleeding wounds. These are barbaric devices that are specifically designed to inflict pain and injury.
                                      I have just seen an email response from one of the UK companies selling these collars, which has been posted on Facebook by the recipient. Being…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • HS2

Delay HS2 and divert the money until we have repaired storm and flood damage and installed further measures to prevent further flooding.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Justice for Marius the young giraffe killed by copenhagen zoo

To bring copenhagen zoo to realise what it did was wrong and in this modern world this sort of act not required

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  International issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base