Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. HS uk - the vastly superior alternative to the HS2. No one seems to know about this.

This is a far less invasive alternative, with better access to the North West as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Delays in processing Personal Independent Payments

This is more recent information on the PIP issue. My MP, Roger Godsiff is tabling an early day motion (see below):

From Alyson Dennis

Dear Alyson,

Thanks very much for your email, and for passing on Roger’s message to 38 Degrees. Roger would be very happy for 38 Degrees to run a petition on this, as the delays in processing PIP claims are having a very damaging effect on a very vulnerable group.

Best wishes,

Alethea

Alethea Warrington
      Office of Roger Godsiff MP
      0207 219 5191
      warringtona@parliament.uk

Roger has tabled an Early Day Motion to protest about the
      delays in…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Challenging the BBC on its coverage of NHS bad news stories

There is now pretty much a daily drip drip drip of negative stories about the NHS on BBC news – especially the R4 Today programme. I believe that it is undermining everyone’s confidence in the nationwide service, and that it must be stopped.
        I live in Lewisham and I believe that one reason the locals here in Lewisham were able to win their recent battle with Jeremy Hunt over the potential closure of our hospital’s A&E was the fact that the issue galvanized opinions across the political spectrum. Particularly amongst the middle classes. However, if we hear a never-ending stream…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • The Trans-Atlantic Trade Treaty is a real threat to democracy. For details see http://action.sumofus.org/a/stop-ttip/?sub=fb

Campaign against our government signing a treaty which will allow large corporations to over turn our laws of they clash with the corporations business interests in our country e.g. smoking advertising and restrictions or fracking for gas

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • EU search engine ruling - prevention of free speech

Create a petition to overcome the EU ruling allowing people the 'right to be forgotten' - people are using this to remove links on search engines to personal details they want forgotten such as criminals seeking a job, doctors requesting negative reviews to be removed etc

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • job seakers allowance santions

online petition against job seakers allowance santions

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • landlords that refuse to rent to families with children, an increasing proportion of properties for rent has the stipulation 'no children'.

A number of people have experienced estate agents stating 'no children' when inquiring about the possibility to rent advertised properties. Families with children need fair consideration, too.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Transatlantic Trade Deal

Written by George Monbiot in the Guardian 04.11.13:

Remember that referendum about whether we should create a single market with the United States? You know, the one that asked whether corporations should have the power to strike down our laws? No, I don't either. Mind you, I spent 10 minutes looking for my watch the other day before I realised I was wearing it. Forgetting about the referendum is another sign of ageing. Because there must have been one, mustn't there? After all that agonising over whether or not we should stay in the European Union, the government wouldn't cede…

63 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Democratise Nationwide Building Society

We would like all members of the Nationwide Building Society to support resolutions produced by the Building Societies Members Association (BSMA) to stop the continued undemocratic, anti-mutual and biased methods used in the voting system of the Nationwide Building Society.

If you are a member of the Nationwide Building Society please act as a nominee and support the resolutions. For more information go to the BSMA website at www.building-societies-members.org.uk.

Members have a legal right to have resolutions presented and to stand as candidates for election to the board of the Nationwide Building Society but, despite the claim to be…

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Aerial pesticide spraying of UK woods to go ahead despite fears over wildlife Later this month in Sulham woods near Tilehurst in Berkshire,

Aerial pesticide spraying of UK woods to go ahead despite fears over wildlife
                        Later this month in Sulham woods near Tilehurst in Berkshire, Forestry Commission officials will be spraying the woods with pesticides to eradicate the oak processionary moth – whose caterpillars can cause itchy rashes and sore throats in humans. However there is concern by Natural England that aerial spraying approach will not work and repeated annual spraying would have a serious impact on butterflies in the area.
                        The Guardian (04 May 2014)
                        Learn more about the problems associated with pesticides as the continual depositing of these do more…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Getting local authorities to remove fluoride from our drinking water

We are "forcefully medicated" by the addition of fluoride to our water, this should be a choice, we have the option of using fluoridated dental products if we wish, so why don't we have the right to fluoride free water.

18 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Urging the BBC to give David Lowe his job back.

I think we should be urging the BBC to give David Lowe his old job back as a DJ within the BBC after he felt forced to resign due to accidentally playing an 82 year old song with a racial slur in it.
                            The DJ has apologized for the genuine accident, and should be forgiven.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Media & the arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • 1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Taxing Overseas Corporations - Using a Transaction Tax

I want government to create a new tax 'Transaction Tax' that is levied at the point of sale and can be set against UK corporation tax. Using this instrument it would force overseas corporations to pay some corporation tax in the UK. Transaction Tax that is not off-set against UK corporation Tax would remain in the governments coffers.

E.g. Amazon pays 15 Transaction Tax when it makes a sale - lets say £1000. The VAT mechanism would collect this cheaply. In our example Amazon would pay £150. This could then be off-set against UK Corporation Tax. So other than cash…

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • REJECT INVESTOR-STATE DISPUTE SETTLEMENTS IN TTIP. TO: ED MILLIBAND Campaign created by Paul Pearce FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL Examine hist

Examine historical impact of Investor-State Dispute Settlements.
                                  Identify to what extent they form part of the current Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership negotiations.
                                  Consider impact on negotiations of rejecting Dispute Settlement mechanisms.
                                  Publish evaluation of benefits vs detriments.
                                  Oppose inclusion until impact is understood.
                                  Why is this important?

Loss of sovereignty.
                                  Cost of compensating foreign corporations.
                                  Loss of democratic control.
                                  Lack of transparency.
                                  Negative impact of national vs foreign corporations.

20 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • My campaign idea is the in the care of the elderley who have been deemed to lack capacity.

My families experience has been a battle to keep my Mother (who has severe dementia and lives at home) living in her own home until the end of her life. The issue is around keeping her safe and stopping her wandering. The local authority say she should be in a residential home: where she will be locked in, under continuous supervision and control and medicated to keep her quiet. But we are not allowed to lock her front door.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Greedy Banks ; Stop banks applying new extortionate charges on overdrafts

The big banks have decided they need to replenish their coffers and
                                      they've targeted the not so well off yet again.
                                      Instead of paying a small amount of interest each month you will now be charged a fixed fee of 0.75p a day for up to £500.00 ... £1.50 a day
                                      £500.00 to £1000.00 £2.00 a day £1000'00 to £2000.00.. . £3.00 a
                                      day £2000.00 to £3000.00 May i also add the RBS have already started and Barclays start on the 16th of June

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • HMRC having powers to raid tax payers bank accounts without a court order to claim unpaid taxes

HMRC having powers to raid tax payers bank accounts without a court order to claim unpaid taxes

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • stop companies using computer generated multiple repeat calling techniques

using this methord companies will call several numbers at the same time,several times a day.only the first responder will get to talk to someone. everyone else will find the experience frustrating and time wasting.For the elderly& single this can be very disturbing.Isuggest this should be made illegal

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base