I suggest a campaign about ...

we do not want to return to a 2 tier education system based around 0 levels

Michael Gove wants to move back to O levels for English, maths and science, some students will take the academic exam andtheothers will sit a CSE style paper, this was dropped 30 years ago because it limited students to strict pathways in year 9 and once there they couldn't change path, students were disaffected and labelled, it is based on a fixed view of ability and precludes the idea that children might develop at different rates, it must be the one thing in education we all hold to.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    lyncoml deanlyncoml dean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David PavettDavid Pavett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be grateful if someone would explain to me in what way the current division of GCSE into Foundation and Higher levels is not a two-tier system?

I am opposed to Gove proposals but I am unclear about the idea that we somehow left two-tier examinations behind with the introduction of GCSE. Keith Joseph was quite clear at the time that what he was introducing was a "system of examinations and not a single examination".

• Margaret MorrisMargaret Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally support the proposal to campaign against the reintroduction of a two-tier exam at 16 but would like a campaign on all the current threats to an equitable state education system in which every child matters equally. Gove is trying to privatise the education system in the same way Lansley has set privatisation in motion for the NHS. The danger to state education is not so well understood as to the NHS and 38 degrees could have a vital role to play in widening understanding of the threat to state education.

• Imogen PennellImogen Pennell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs a punchier heading so supporters can find it, eg.
        "Oppose return to O-Levels and a 2-tier education system".

This is a hugely important issue. As those most affected are too young to vote we have an obligation to defend everyone's entitlement to full educational opportunities. Fancy Gove having the nerve to accuse others of being 'enemies of promise'!

• Imogen PennellImogen Pennell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs a punchier heading so supporters can find it, eg. "Oppose return to O-levels and a 2-tier education system"

A hugely important issue. The people it most adversely affects are too young to vote so we have a duty to defend their right to full educational opportunities .

• Clare RobertsClare Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees put together all the votes for various campaigns against Michael Gove and his reforms, in fact even all the campaigns re Education. Counted all together these campaign suggestions have many common themes and lots of votes. Now that 38 degrees has made itself heard on the NHS debate, it is important to act now on Education.

• Clare RobertsClare Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees put together all the votes for various campaigns against Michael Gove and his reforms, in fact even all the campaigns re Education. Counted all together these campaign suggestions have many common themes and lots of votes. Now that 38 degrees has made itself heard on the NHS debate, it is important to act now on Education.

Feedback and Knowledge Base