I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Bangor N Wales from imposing a curfew from 9pm everynight on under 16's

Bangor City Council have decided to impose a curfew on all under 16'a in the city centre between 9on and 6am unless accompanied by a parent. This is happening from this Monday and those caught will be fined £2500.

Theories Rene and draconian measures that will alienate the young People of the area, stop youth activities and impeed the basic right to freedom of.ag whole group of our society. There has been little or no consultation and the incidents which have prompted it are alleged.

Please help us to stop this from going ahead and casting a shadow over the lives of young people in our area.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christina PhillipsChristina Phillips shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

£2500 is a bit draconian, comparable to shooting, castration, any other ideas dictatorship Bangor City Council.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sympathise with the dilemma of keeping young people in order but also allowing freedom of activity. The problem is mainly the parents who care not much where their children are and what they are doing. Hence, the Council feel compelled to issue a bylaw. I go with the Council in principle but it appears there needs to be some consultation to avoid impeding legitimate youth activities.

• Rhiannon GyffesRhiannon Gyffes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just can't believe what I am reading!!! And people still deny that we are living in a POLICE STATE!!! I am from the Pen Llyn area and am absolutely appalled at this.
        Seems we are all guilty and have to prove our innocence??? And in answer to Daniel Gie below, this is what they want - WAKE UP!!! How dare they??? Just who the hell do they think they are??? We are supposed to be a free people, well aren't we??? Seems to me that we do not live in a democracy, we are being fooled into believing that we are! This is DICTATORSHIP!!!

• Vicky WalkerVicky Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dangerous measures to criminalise youth for being youth. Those under 16's who live within this curfew may aswell be on a tag. What other deamonised group will fall victim to the curfew will it be black people , skin heads, goths , crusty's....
        I had thought as Bangor as slightly more diverse than the rest of Gwynedd, but obviously this is not the aim.

• Daniel GieDaniel Gie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well , the issue is where has discipline disappeared to ....New York imposed a zero tolerance law and produced results .....Give the ruling a chance ...kids today have too much liberty .

• christine o'haganchristine o'hagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shocking! Under 16's have civil liberties. This is the best way of teaching young people the state does not value them. Why don't they ban patients from hospitals, students from schools or everyone from town centres that should cure plenty of problems!

The Chief Constable has seriously lost sight of reality. It is illegal to discriminate or stereotype against individuals or groups because of their age. All the so called multi agencies cannot resolve that, which can only be described as a storm in a teacup. The Chief Constable himself may well have been a Teddy boy in his youth.

• Christina PhillipsChristina Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do people insist on putting opinions here which are for the curfew? Start your own please. Note comment belo0w from a local Councillor that many councilors do not agree with this measure and wish to distance the good name of the council from it. If the petition is accepted as a campaign I will adjust the wording in coordination with members of the 'Stop the curfew ...' FB page.

• Gemma Rose HughesGemma Rose Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The kids in Bangor are good kids. The parents keep the kids indoors already. Their were no riots in Bangor and the riots were caused by lowers, teachers and youth group leaders. Curfew's are for criminals and lets keep it that way. Their is so much trouble in the world so why waste time enforcing peace in a peaceful place.

I can sympathise with the people who think this is a good idea. If you cant catch a person who is behaving badly, you should just punish someone who looks like them .

• Franklin ScraseFranklin Scrase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If they get away with this in Bangor they will want to do it everywhere and it will give the police the right to stop anyone who looks young. Teenagers need to be treated with more respect.

The type of behaviour that has prompted this action has been going on and getting worse in Bangor for over 15 years as far as I know personally. Why has it not been tackled before now? The people behaving badly are on plain view and the police and members of the community are aware of their identities. The police should take action and deal with them, not put in place measures which discriminate against and demonise a whole section of society. I do not think there is a place in our society for curfew aimed at a section of our community and powers which can order the dispersal of groups of more than 2 people at the whim of a police officer (will this extend to the over 16s?).

I can't help but feel that this curfew could be a good thing. Any child under the age of 16yrs of age not accompanied by an adult in any city area, during those hours is obviously not a particularly bad thing. There is obviously a level of crime within these areas for the council to be concerned for anybody under that age group. And why not? Anyone under that age should be with their parent/guardians anyway.

• Lucy Devereux Lucy Devereux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lousiest PR stunt the authorities could have pulled on the youth of today, impecable timing. Duh!

• chris oneal chris oneal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE NOTE - the headline of this is incorrect - BANGOR CITY COUNCIL had nothing to do with this to be fair they didnt know nothing about it. I am a city and gwynedd county councillor and i can tell you that bangor city council had no input this is between the community safety partnership and the police.

This order is ridiculous and i personally along with m fellow councillor nigel pickavance will do everything we can to prevent this or erradicate this.

The authorities who put this in palce ought to be ashamed of themselves the amount of bad publicity they have brought on our city.

I am proud to be a bangorian and will fight this for the freedom of our youths right's..

Chris Oneal

Gwynedd & Bangor City Councillor
        07879 333 087

• Meabh savageMeabh savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing this form of law in this manner is a form of age discrimination and will marginalise young people further from within their own community. It will compound their fears of the police force, who should be there to protect them and not label them as potential criminals. Young people should be embraced as the future and all efforts should be made to promote their development, not target all young people as potential criminals.

• Christina PhillipsChristina Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to edit this but cannot find a way - it should say; 'These heavy handed and draconian measures...' Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base