I suggest a campaign about ...

Creating a national water grid

Despite all the rain and flooding we have had recently, we are still in the middle of a drought because they say it is 'the wrong sort of rain'!
Instead of filling the reservoirs the water is going into the rivers and into the sea. So WHY is there not a system where the river water can be diverted into the reservoirs. I always used to think that rivers and reservoirs were connected in some way; but obviously not. We have a nationwide system of canals and rivers that could be used to transport water from place to place. However, the water board was nationalised and fragmented meaning that the water companies are now in competition instead of working together to get this problem solved. We should campaign to get this situation changed as soon as possible.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a properly thought out national water strategy that is in the Country's interests, not simply what the water companies want. They want mandatory meters, not to save water as they claim, but to create a situation where they can push up prices more easily. They can get water from rivers, but oddly they are restricted to a quota regardless of whether the river is in flood or not! We definitely need this shambles sorted out. Water companies have regional monopolies and don't give a monkey's about the public interest.

• Chris JohnChris John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is this.
        Rain falls on greenbelt land, fields etc and its absorbed.
        Rain hits concrete, floods and causes a drought because of no natural irrigation.

The only logical way to try and move forward is to stop building.

Feedback and Knowledge Base