I suggest a campaign about ...

Water companies using funds for alternative activities instead of stopping leaks in their pipework, resulting in hosepipe bans and worse.

Following yesterday's pronouncements, it is quite clear what out next campaign should be - starting now.

The corporate water companies have consistently shown two fingers to their customers and used the vast majority of their profits to fund other and probably higher profit raising projects - often abroad, Severn Trent being a prime example - instead of repairing their pipework, which ought to be the first call on all their resources following the actual collection, purification and pumping of water to their customers, which is clearly not the case since we have been told of massive losses of water through their distribution pipeworks.

This is a national scandal involving commercial profit over provision to the entire country's water consumers and the problem is obviously going to escalate as time progresses until something is actually done about it.

Can we immediately raise a petition calling on the Government - which has been conspicuously silent on the matter (no doubt because it has major supporters and funders in the industry) - to pass an urgent law to compel the water companies to commence a full scale program of pipework repairs and renovations forthwith with the threat of - at least temporary - nationalization of any of those companies which fail to do so immediately and publicly - backed up with proof of their doing so.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Piers MilnePiers Milne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also support this. Now that hosepipe bans are over the water companies will think they're off the hook. This is exactly what happened after the last hosepipe ban. The heat was off the water companies so they did nothing to improve infrastructure and maintenance (to fix leaks quickly, etc) and went back to paying themselves huge bonuses instead.

This should be a key issue for 38 Degrees. Without water we cannot surive.

• Margaret ConroyMargaret Conroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this and think 38 degrees should be campaigning for supply companies to be set stringent targets for repair and maintenance to stop leakages. This instead of paying out big dividends to shareholders, at the expense of customers' rising water bills and water supply restrictions. See Guardian article for details http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/may/07/water-companies-cut-leaks-2015-drought

Feedback and Knowledge Base