I suggest a campaign about ...

Investigate and then, if necessary, campaign against the danger of mercury in energy-saving light bulbs

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Derek PiersonDerek Pierson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Oliver SlayOliver Slay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Read: "Diagnosis: Mercury" - Dr Jane Hightower for some background on Mercury usage. Or search for those words on Google for videos and websites and book links.

I always considered the mercury in energy-saving light bulbs... and the mercury used in the process of making one type of fructose-glucose syrup (UK) (or High Fructose Corn Syrup HFCS in US), which is added to almost all Kelloggs products... is actually a system of micro-distribution in order to eliminate stock piles of mercury 'ethically' or at least 'acceptably'. Free bulbs sent to every household? Most should be returned with a note; "Thanks for sending me your dirty rubbish, please dispose of this yourself."

LED lights do not contain mercury, but are not yet bright enough to replace mercury bulbs altogether... there are only a few LED bayonet bulbs on the market, Philips are pioneering in this field...

People don't know that if an energy-saving light bulb breaks then they must leave the room for 30 minutes for the mercury vapour to dispel. Bulbs should be recycled by the local council and not disposed of in the general rubbish. But what facilities are there for disposing of these?

Mercury in fillings has been banned in several N. European countries and should be banned in the UK.

Jane Hightower's book is a very good read. It contains a lot of information about how the acceptable levels of mercury were created...

• Derek PiersonDerek Pierson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am already a subscriber to 38 Degrees, and I think if the dangers are real this would be an ideal subject to campaign on as there are a lot of unanswered questions about the disposal of the mercury and also the effect on peoples' health in their use now.

Feedback and Knowledge Base