I suggest a campaign about ...

Proposed Campaign for the establishment of Mandatory Voting.

...to decide NOT to vote, for whatever reasons -
(most common being complacency, laziness & disillusionment) - should NEVER be an option!
If one feels strongly enough(or confused), about the choice or quality(?) of available candidates, then they should carry out the only valid democratic act available to them in the circumstances - and that is to make a positive statement and SPOIL their vote!
This way, if enough people take this positive action then the total number of the spoiled votes would be a closer & more honest record of the relevance and true measure of the judgement of the people on the political process and its candidates.
These spoiled votes would become more relevant by their quantity and the democratic voice of the people would HAVE to be legally acknowledged.....YES?/NO?
If voting were to be mandatory then most arguments about AV, STV, PR etc., would be spurious and the truly democratic process of ONE person ONE vote should produce a genuine, simple result within the democratic process.
.....the bottom line in all this is that ............
- NOT voting should NEVER be an option !!!
Let's have a ONE person-ONE vote mandatory system to produce a truly democratic result.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ray thomsonray thomson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jane CottonJane Cotton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A 'none of the above' option - not a spoiled paper. Then mandatory voting could be introduced.

• James ClaytonJames Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd far rather have a 'none of the above' option on ballot papers; that would allow results to genuinely show the difference between apathy and abstention.

Contrary to popular myth, spoiling your ballot is not a abstention or a political statement. No one other than the individual counting your paper will see your comment, and even they probably won't have time to stop to read it. No record will be kept, and no one will know the difference between you and someone who was simply too stupid to fill in their ballot paper correctly.

Compulsory voting also has no relevance to the arguments for or against AV or STV, which are designed to solve a different problem. Modern voting systems don't, in themselves, combat apathy. They simply mean that the views of those who bothered to turn up are better represented.

Feedback and Knowledge Base