I suggest a campaign about ...

The extradition treaty between Britain and the USA

The Extradtion Act of 2003 that was brought in by the last Labour Government is very much a one sided system that appears grossly unfair. Someone sitting in their own front room who has never beenn to the USAcan be extradited to the USA and not tried back in the UK. The USA says it does not abuse Human Rights, however the person when he / she arrives in the US will be sent to a high security jail awaiting a very expensive trial, will often not be released on bail as the mighty US authorities say that person could get of the country and is kept in solitary confinement with lights on in the cell 24 hours a day. With so many of us now using the Internet we are getting into a situation whereby we write a blog, post an item on Facebook or Twitter that is anti USGovernment or US Company and the next thing is we are standing trial in their country, whereas someone shooting and killing "an intruder" in Miami (in alleged self defence) does not even appear to get arrested. Pressure needs to be brought onto the UK Government to make changes now. When in opposition senior politicians were against this, however once on Govermenmt they appear to have a different attitude. Could this be pressure from across the Atlantic? There has been the Lord Jusice Scott Baker Enquiry, last year that could not find unfairness, but it looks like a crazy situation whereby a young student can be extradited for allegged copyright infringement, but a suspected terrorist cannot be sent back to north African country as it is against his / her human rights. Please support this campaign to get the Government to address the unfair balance.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Philip SuterPhilip Suter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...