I suggest a campaign about ...

Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Brunei failing to commit to having women on their Olympics teams

Saudi Arabia has yet to enter female participants for this year's Olympics in London - though it claims to be engaged in meaningful discussions about this. However, in light of the fact that South Africa has been banned in the past for failing to have black athletes on its Olympic team and for apartheid, it seems hypocritical of the organisers of this year's games not to ban Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Brunei for the same reasons. Saudi Arabia have no women's section on their Olympics committee, there will be no commitment to entering women for the 2016 games, and girls are not provided with physical education in schools nor are women permitted to participate in sport generally.

As a nation committed to human rights and gender equality, we should not endorse this and should ban any team that fails to accord with the spirit of equality, freedom and excellence in athletics regardless of colour, gender and religion that the Olympics represents.

Please petition the following to ban any team that cannot fully implement an equal opportunities policy for the Olympics team selection, and commit to doing so for future games:

Jeremy Hunt, Culture and Olympics Minister

International Olympics Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge

Boris Johnson, Major of London

British Olympic Association Chairman Colin Moynihan

London 2012 Organising Committee Chair Sebastian Coe

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mezmez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

isnt it possible that the women of those countries are simply not any good at their chosen sports? which is why there none in the teams

Feedback and Knowledge Base