I suggest a campaign about ...

'None of the Above' candidates for next general election.

Just imagine looking down your ballot paper: 'Tory'... 'Lid Dem'... 'None of the Above'... I know where I'd put my cross.

I no longer see any viable choice for my vote in our current electoral system; a system designed to keep out new parties and in effect limit our choices. Thanks to the Lib Dem's monumental error of judgement in negotiating for a referendum on a system that nobody wanted, we shall never see an opportunity for reform for a generation. So I propose a 'vote of none of the above at the next elections.

I was a Lib Dem voter, but like many, this is no longer the case. I am now trying to work out who to vote for. Labour: Incomparable, reactionary, ideologically bankrupt; Tories: the politics of self-interest; Lib Dem: Sell their convictions for trifling concessions. And voting for other, smaller parties is almost a wasted vote in an FPP voting system.

If we could raise as many £500 deposits as possible and ask people to stand as a figurehead for the campaign in their constituency, we could actually create the first registered, un-ignorable protest vote.

Such a campaign would be reliant on persuading politicians or anybody else. It is simple, doable and would send a clear message that we are sick of the ruling class taking advantage of the apathy that they themselves create on a daily basis. Every time I hear a politician failing to answer a straight question, every time I realize that all the main parties are much the same and have an interest in keeping the status quo I think... 'None of the above’.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    HamishHamish shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mart hanmart han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a NOTA supporter since the lead up to the 1997 election, when every muppet was telling me to give Blair a chance....well look where that got us! We need to clear out the self-serving vultures, and psychopaths. Too many of them have been paedophiles, which is why it's so easy to be a paedo in the UK. The Tories and Libs want to gag lobbyists, and that can't happen. None of the Above, or no vote at all.

• Della LawDella Law commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, a group has been established to put None of the Above on the ballot paper so that we can use the power of the ballot box to say we have had enough. The group are called Notavote - NOTA is the heading which will appear on the ballot paper as it is forbidden to use the words None of the Above. NOTA means None Of The Above. We are presently looking to recruit independent candidates and supporters. Please check us out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/notavote/ or see the website http://www.notavote.co.uk/
        Together we can do this. Hamish was quite right. In 2015 the whole thing is wide open and a united group of independents could shake up the system!

• Lucy DesmondLucy Desmond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately political parties only have to adhere to 5% of their manifesto under UK law, which makes a mockery of having them in the first place!
        This is a great idea. I'm sick of people who have only studied politics or similar running our country into the dirt. We need people with actual life experience and experience of running a business, not someone who worked in PR for the media or some other toff who've never had to budget for themselves let alone a nation! Being told how something should be done and being able to put theory into practice are two very differing things!
        Good luck with this suggestion.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is little difference between the main parties. They are all guilty of ignoring their campaign promises, many treat the commons as a sneering arena and waste time exchanging personal insults. Do we need Parties at all? Do we need so many MPs? The USA has fewer and seems to manage with fewer - there's a sizable cut for you! Why not have a major None of the Above rebellion and take our power back? A clean sweep! We need a reminder as to the meaning of democracy. Frances.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brilliant, I came here to add this idea, I've spoiled my paper for the last 10 years in an attempt to protest against a political system that only allows large parties any chance of getting MPs elected.

Andy

Feedback and Knowledge Base