I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban contaminated Green Waste being dumped in the Countryside

We could really do with some help in fighting the battle of so called 'green waste' being dumped on the countryside.

In a panic to find alternative means, rather than landfill, councils and businesses are giving 'green waste' to companies to recycle, who simply shred nearly anything, and dump it, in compost on our farm fields.

Wildlife and Human Health is at risk.

Here's a very small clip, if anybody is interested. Please help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDq9Ai_p7TI&feature=player_embedded

87 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BriBri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel totally disgusted seeing the video, and think it's ridiculously hypocritical of any council or government to allow dumping of this toxic rubbish in our countryside!!

I've only come across a few items of this rubbish so far, being new to metal detecting - but I've already seen razor blades and chopped AA batteries on my clubs' fields already..!

• john skinnerjohn skinner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had first hand contact with the so called "green waste" about to be spread on a arable field, i had a metal detector with me, besides the obvious lumps of visible plastic, and other landfill crap, the detector was unuseable due to the overload of signals, the chances of some of these signals being heavy metals is 100%, this crap is about to enter our food chain!!

• Mal AsterleyMal Asterley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you eat your food out of a dustbin ?? , well thats where your food will be grown shortly if this so called green waste keeps getting dumped on the fields where our food comes from .

• Barry CarpenterBarry Carpenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having seen this so called green waste first hand, its really making my blood boil that councils and waste processors, think they can get away with using our countryside as an open waste bin. It requires more control, if not completely stopping.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have heard of farmers losing sheep by getting pieces of metal jammed in their mouths stopping them from eating and only noticed when they drop from malnutrition, I have also seen hypodermic needles, corroding batteries ground up circuit boards and broken glass bottles amongst this stuff. There is nothing wrong with spreading compost-able materials but this stuff is not getting graded properly?

• kevkev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is no more than leagalised contamination of the countryside, there are quite a few examples of the results of this 'dumping' on net, and do not understand why all PMs are not involved, unless of course they have shares in these companys.

• M RM R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe they are getting away with this. Like growing food on a landfill site. Why aren't MP's getting involved?

• s ws w commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can this continue with no one taking notice, the watse they are spreading on the fields looks like it has just come from the landfill site, we get fined for dropping an apple core and yet the same people are covering our countryside with waste - oh i forgot - once ploughed under it is not seen again, and money is involved. please help 38 degrees.

Mad cows disease, foot and mouth, all things that could have been reduced faster if the government had acted when they should have. Green waste, contaminated, Environmentally disastrous for you for me for our children and our children's children. Stop its use before its to late. spread the word

There are a lot of fields here in the northwest where this supposed 'green waste' has been tipped. It is a disgrace especially where animals are feeding on the grass etc where this waste is. How can this be called recycling?

• xxxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i saw another field today covered in a new skin of waste i pulled over to see it was full of aluminium and what looked like kitchen fittings and glass

People all over the country see the mess thats fly tipped in the countryside and if caught the scum that dump this rubbish are fined.
        And yet it is legal to dump the same sort of trash on our fields just because its been shredded.
        The government is condoaning this it is cheap landfill and must be stopped.

• just me .just me . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why would you want to litter the country side ? if i did this i would be fined . what a crazy idea ......

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this is happening in our food chain, I am no "foodie", but I do expect a certain level of care to be taken in the food that is grown in our country. I certainly don't expect to be poisoned by this rubbish.

This petition should be signed by everyone as we are all affected by what is happening within our food production.

• s ws w commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a massive problem that needs to be stopped, i have seen 1000's of acres covered in this legal flytipping in my area all contaminated with aluminium plastic and glass all getting ploughed into the farmland for your next meal to be grown in, we should be looking after our countryside once its gone it can never be recovered, - i support this 110% it needs to be stopped.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base