I suggest a campaign about ...

An Electoral NHS Campaign

So the Health Bill has passed and will be made into law

Remember that the Poll Tax also passed into law, but becuase of intense 'middle england' opposition, it had to be cancelled a couple of years later.

The government's strategy on the NHS has obviously been to get the NHS bill through and then hope it all goes quiet.

It could be our job to make sure it does not go quiet and here are some suggestions about how this could be done to maximum effect:

The plan for doctors to stand at the next election that was in the papers last week:- if 38 degrees members put our weight behind it, we could really make it work and put real pressure on individual MPS, ministers and the government

How about 38degrees members signing a pledge to vote for a doctor standing in their constituency at the next election?

Could get 1/2 million or even a million pledges in the next year? That would put pressure on the only thing politicians really care about - getting re-elected.

Starting to get vote pledges now would be a huge statement of intent that we are not going to let this lie

Also - why just have doctors standing - why not nurses or porters or hospital cleaners, or even members of the public standing on a save the NHS platform?

Could 38 degrees members club together to help fund the cost of their election deposit?

Finally - why wait until the general election - there are the May council elections - could we look for nhs staff or even members of the public to stand on a save the NHS platform - if we got enough people standing across the country it could make the news and even possibly skew the national election results - which would be an example of what we are capable of doing at the next general election.

I think there is a lot of disatifaction about much this government (and previous) governments are doing - especially after this weeks budget - a save the NHS Electoral campaign could also tap into this and provide a way of people to give a more general protest vote about the state of our democracy

How about it?

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bob EllardBob Ellard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zena DodgsonZena Dodgson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we should support any candidate standing on a 'Keep the NHS Public- no Profits from Illness ticket'. (I've actually been saying that for years)

No party politics, just people who care passionately about our NHS.

The general election may be 3 years away-the NHS will be completely gone by then. Local elections are important because we can get Councillors on scrutiny committees (hopefully) so they can influence local decisions about health care.

• Jonathan LaneJonathan Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Showing MP's how serious we are about the NHS and other public services is the only thing that will motivate them in to doing our will not theirs, so I wholeheartedly support these ideas.

Feedback and Knowledge Base