I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban 'sex for sale' advertising in all media

I want the Government to introduce legislation which will make it illegal for "sex for sale" advertisements to appear in any media. The legislation should cover all aspects of advertising including paper, electronic or other media and should also apply to those who promote, publish, distribute or otherwise allow such advertising.

Sex of all kinds is readily available to purchase through ads in newspapers, Adult Services classified Ads, on the internet. Fraud, deception and violence pull vulnerable women and children into the "sex trade" against their will. Traffickers earn huge tax-free profits through forced prostitution. Sex advertising increases the demand for prostitution and fuels human trafficking. We ban tobacco and alchohol advertising, why do we allow this?

273 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jo MaidmentJo Maidment shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BeccaBecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree Jo. How can we turn a blind eye to the social injustice of human trafficking which prays on the vulnerable and weak in order to make billions of dollars for the corrupt. Trafficking occurs in even the most 'advanced' nations in the world, and the most shocking thing is that government officials often turn a blind eye. Prostitution is classed by many as a 'choice' that women make in order to improve their financial situation. However, the true story is that a large proportion of these women and children make no money at all, and have been sold into this trade and are thus 'slaves' to their pimps and 'owners'. Even in such countries where prostitution is seen as legal, 'safe' and a way of making money, trafficking of women and children is rife. Without the sex industry, whether 'legal' or 'illegal', there'd be no need for human trafficking, so the banning of sex advertising would be a start in the long and complex war against this injustice. If anyone is interested take a look at the film 'nefarious' which really opened my eyes.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I applaud your comments! Coming from abroad one is immediatly faced with tacky models leering from magazines, giving a very tawdry flavour to women and the population in general. I am astounded that women don't seem to care that they are being viewed in such a degrading manner, or their daughters.

Kids grow up linking a quick snacks with sex not based on relationship, as they see magazines next to sweets and crisps in every shop. No emphasis on respect and relationships has led the UK to have the highest teen pregnancy rate. It is not due to lack of education.

Abortions are as simple as throwing the sweet wrapper in the bin, and such is the regard for the result of children produced. Little wonder that elderly are now being treated badly in old age homes where they are subjected to the same callous attitude.

It should be a human right to not have to see these adverts and explicit magazines, as we are currently being subjected to, against our will daily.

Currently children have access to this 'adult' material. I would suggest it is not a sensible developement for civilisation, and healthy developement of individuals growing into parents who will have access to vulnerable children. If sex is viewed as a mere commodity, and women advertising sex alongside stray cat advertisments, it devalues the impact of giving in to urges of any nature. The victims of child abuse would argue that is a bad thing.

Youngsters are also very vulnerable as they answer these adverts so easily, unaware of the dangers. That every household gets pages of telephone numbers for sex, readily accessible to curious children with their mobile phones out of parental control, is a very unhealthy situation. Would we allow cigarette samples to be sent to homes and lay about, and expect children to resist the temptation? We should be protecting the vulnerable.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important, people are being used as commodities to be used and abused and not enough is being done to ban this atrocity. It is Dickensian in its magnitude

This is an issue that is overlooked and as such we are complicit in women and girls being used as sex slaves

trafficking any one is wrong, encouraging exploitation via advertizing is criminal and probably not taxable; what if it were your child or brother or sister would you feel differently then

• Paul CavePaul Cave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you legalised prostitution a lot of those problems you mentioned would vanish.

Also you'd be able to cut out drug abuse, infection and the 'shame' side of doing a job which is only seen as bad from a fairly Victorian point of view.
        Personally I'd rather have a fat guy enter me for half an hour than work for 8 hours selling shoes. If legal you'd be able to ensure there were psych checks on all the women entering the job to ensure they were fully prepared for it.

Stopping advertising would just force more women to be on the street hawking themselves and more at risk. It's badly thought through.

• Cath BrownCath Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a complicated issue and a very divisive one. Whilst no one condones trafficking - the issue has been exaggerated by individuals and lobbies with an ideological stance against prostitution. They dont care less about the welfare of the women who will be criminalised or deprived of an income.

I think a far better campaign would be the full decriminalisation of sex work.
        There are currently crackdowns on prostitution in london boroughs in the run up to the olympics. This criminalisation of hundreds of women can hardly be a good thing.

Banning advertising will merely force desperate women onto the streets. Instead we need a campaign which supports the safety of women who sell sex.

Recent arrests shows that anything that can be done to stop this hideous crime will go a long way to helping the unfortunate, mostly young, people

• Ruth BruceRuth Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can a civilized society condone human trafficking? Banning sex for sale advertising is one step that we can take to halt this deplorable trade.

• Alexis NevilleAlexis Neville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lets help reduce the income of the traffickers and discourage them through their pockets. Help get this legislation introduced.

Human trafficking is a great evil and a large number of sex workers are in effect slaves. This is a situation no right-thinking person can condone and we should do all we can to put an end to the trade.

• Ann DurrantAnn Durrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As responsible adults we must make it illegal for sex for sale advertisments to be published in any media. Many of the people involved in this trade have been forced or coerced into it via trafficking and their human rights are being violated on a daily basis.

• Robert MaguireRobert Maguire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trafficking people clearly goes the most fundamental of human rights, and reducing the demand for services which are often provided under duress by trafficked women and children is an obvious way to start to make this evil practice less profitable.

Ban sex fore sale ads - and adopt Swedish method of prosecuting/criminalising the men who encourage them - not the women and girls.

I fully support the importance of introducing this legislation to make it illegal for sex for sale advertismanets in any media. This trade is harmful to the vulnerable adults who have often be coerced or forced into this trade often having been trafficked into the Uk or even within the UK.

Vulnerable women and children must be safeguarded against trafficking of any sort. Evil traffickers should be stopped and if banning 'sex for sale' advertisements is one way forward, we should agree with this proposal.

We have the ability and a voice in regard to this growing issue so let's use them! Those being trafficked do not and are vulnerable in many ways.

• Ann Teresa HerrittyAnn Teresa Herritty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the Government to ban 'sex for sale' advertisements for all media. I see the havoc that prostitution and trafficking for sexual exploitation has on the lives of people.
        Please stop anything that fuels this demand.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base