I suggest a campaign about ...

40 Days To Block Royal Assent To The Health Bill

My name is John Langley, and the original driver behind the campaign to petition the Monarch to NOT grant Royal Assent of the Health Bill.

Since starting this campaign on Twitter at 6am yesterday (March 8th 2012) I have so far engaged the support of Lord Toby Harris to be the conduit for rallying the support of his House of Lords colleagues in petitioning the Queen.

It isn't as simple as communicating with Her Majesty direct, as it requires the 'Barons' to petition on our behalf.

The right to petition the Monarch is embedded in Article 61 of the Magna Carta, and as Common Law takes precedence over Statutory Law and is therefore equally embedded within our Constitutional rights.

On the Coronation of Her Majesty, she took an oath to act within the best interests of her people and uphold our wishes.

The Health Bill, as it currently stands, is about breaking up our NHS by the back door towards privatisation in a way which is a win-win for the current Government regardless of the result at the next general election.

If they succeed in their current actions it opens the door to further privatisation legislation being introduced at a later date because they have set a precedence.

If they win by having this Health Bill made statutory and open up further possibilities prior to the next general election and they happen to lose governance to one of the other parties, then it places the incoming Govermnent in a position where it is too far forward to back down from and there is no alternative except to proceed with the Tory/LibDem legacy.

A win-win either way.

If you don't want to see the Health Service broken up into small pieces like British Rail then you absolutely HAVE to support this campaign and stop Royal assent

382 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John Langley BristolJohn Langley Bristol shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Langley BristolJohn Langley Bristol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi.

Thank you.

If we are able to obtain a strong enough support then we will petition HM directly and stuff protocol. To be honest.

We really don't have the time to faff around and wait.

So encourage as many people as possible please to join in this campaign asap.

Thanks again for your continues support.

John

• BorderlandsBorderlands commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now what do you want us to do? In case this does not get enough votes for a full scale 28 degrees campaign.

• John Langley BristolJohn Langley Bristol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you to everyone for your support and comments.

In order for this to succeed we have to have enough people to ask our noble Lords to petition HM Queen.

Achievable of the 160.000 e-petitioners; or a fair percentage of, would join us in this campaign and show some solidarity.

So I am asking everyone to spread the word and get as many people as you can possibly muster to spread the word.

At the moment we have 149 votes in favour of petitioning HM Queen. If we can multiply that figure by 10 over the next few days it would certainly take us in the right direction. Particularly if those ten also encouraged 10 more people each.

So in theory at least, it isn't hard to get the numbers up, when all it takes is for all 149 of us to tell ten others who tell ten others.

Mission possible?

If we can at least get some way towards this then 38 degrees will fully embrace the campaign and really get it moving with us.

So which ever social media; word of mouth, or other means you currently use or can find to use - even emailing your friends, then please go ahead and give them this address as well as the @langleybristol Twitter account.

Thanks again for your support.

John

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ukcitizen I am totally serious about petitioning to withold royal assent as the most likey measure which will succeed in stopping this bill.
        I do not see ANY current party as listening to the will of the people when there is a POTENTIAL for MP's to become multimillionaires by furthering the expansion of the private sector which is already surprisingly large & used by the NHS. Re election could cease to be a restraining issue.
        (This will not stop me standing up to be counted at a march)
        Yes, the Queen has these powers. Lord Toby Harris has the hard work to do in persuading enough Lords to join him to approach the Queen.
        All we have to do is get enough votes on this thread for 38 degrees to support the action, & send a large petition to show the people's support of these Lords.
        I personally have no intention of jamming Mr.Cameron's fax machine, or participating in any nuisance/illegal activity because it will only be used to discredit us.
        I feel incredibly frustrated that more people don't see the importance of this thread.

• ukcitizenukcitizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what action are you proposing? Jamming Cameron's fax machine? What good will that do ... he'll just switch it off. Are you genuine in your suggestion that we petition the Queen to stop Cameron and his pals privatising our NHS? If so , what are your proposals for action?

There's a similar thread on 38 degrees saying that Baron Toby Harris will act as a conduit.
        I like your sense of humour John Langley Bristol, I think the Queen is well aware of who her real barons are! I sincerely hope so anyway.

Thanks all! We also need to get the Barons (Lords) signed up to this as well. Tho they are still wavering on this as they are busy still pulling the Bill apart.

However. My somewhat devious thinking suggests to me that there is nothing in the rule book for 23 people to temporarily change their names by deed poll to say in my case, Baron John of Bristol. If you follow my drift.

I'm game!!

Please will you show me where the e petition is?

Elindal. I think that The Queen would only use such a great power if she was convinced that it was the will of her people that she do so.
        So we need a large petition to be presented through the barons as outlined.
        Just now we need votes on this thread!

• ElindalElindal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

She gave it to the welfare reform bill and that affected the most vulnerable so I can't see her not giving it to this but we have to try. Maybe someone shojuld remind her she swore to protect her people!

• ukcitizenukcitizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The power to withhold royal assent to legislation passed by the Houses of Parliament

No Bill can become a legally binding Act of Parliament unless and until it receives the royal assent. This means that the Queen has a veto on all legislation passed by Parliament. She has the power to withhold her assent to any legislation for any reason or for none. Were she to exercise this power no court could hold it illegal. This is an astonishing power. It was last exercised in the United Kingdom by Queen Anne in 1708 but has been threatened to be exercised several times in the twentieth century, not least, it is reported, by the current heir to the throne, Prince Charles.

11.Concerned Academic says...

May I please second Universal Citizen’s idea to petition The Queen to stop this Bill by using her reserve powers. There is a possible 20th century precedent of a Monarch using his reserve powers to address a constitutional crisis: In the 1910/11 controversy over the People’s Budget / Home Rule For Ireland Bill / Parliament Act, Kings Edward VII and George V insisted on the then Prime Minister appealing to the people, before indicating that they would create a sufficient number of pro-government peers to break the opposition of the House of Lords

Feedback and Knowledge Base