I suggest a campaign about ...

A Campaign for an English Parliament - Political Equality for England

Political Equality for England. Which would allow people in England a far greater democratic involvement in English politics, and allow for a far greater and more direct accountability by MPs to people in England.

Scotland has its own Parliament, Wales has its own National Assembly, Northern Ireland its own Parliament/Assembly. ...Yet England doesn't have its own Parliament that deals with matters specific to England.

This would stop Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs voting on English only matters. English MPs are not allowed to vote on matters specific to these other countries.

2,354 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joe BerwickJoe Berwick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real problem in this, and all of the devolution going on, is that these are historical boundaries which don't really reflect the divides of society today.

Socially, economically, culturally and politically areas like the north of England have more in common with Scotland and Wales than London/South East.

On that rational, breaking off a "London" parliament and moving the UK parliament somewhere nearer the middle of the UK (geographically, to make representation by people living in the areas they represent more viable) has more merit in my mind.

Just a thought..

• Bob TollingBob Tolling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only a very few want 'regionalism' an EU tool of divide and conquer. A completely unworkable mechanism in England. in England only a few would-be gravy train politico types.. The are certainly not interested in the Englsih nor ENgalnd. No one no wants regionalism, that is fact. . You live in the South-West. You mean South-West England. As for 'London', you mean parliament. And the English in the English counties of South-West of England, elect their own MPs to parliament the same as any over English from any other counties. So they are equally represented. You can always change your MPs. ,you cannot get rid so easier another tier of unwanted, destructive red tape called regions, that would be there to serve the pockets of those who would wish to run them for their own financial interests and anti-English political ideology. See 'regionalism' see the more EU occupation through by another route.

The English need and must have their own independent English parliament, and England must be once again a fully independent country in its own right. Free of the now defunct and unwanted 'British/UK union' and the occupying force called the EU.

• John JohnstoneJohn Johnstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an imbalance to be corrected, but surely the solution is elected English Regional Assemblies with real power, including a fair measure of financial autonomy. If each region had around 5 million voters, the population would be similar to Scotland and Wales. The important point is that London should be just another region, alongside other parts of England. I live in the South West, and I do not feel that London has any great understanding of our needs.

Only National and International issues would continue to be considered by the Westminster Parliament, with all other issues being devolved to the Regional Assemblies. No MP's (not even English ones) could sit as Regional Assembly Representatives as well.

• M.IngsleyM.Ingsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree like all loyal English, England needs it own Parliament with MP's that are English not like we have today they can be Scottish Welsh or Irish or even non British from say Goa or any other part of the world.

You are completely wrong. Westminster is the Parliament of the UK not of England,. Westminster has devolved powers to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, but not England. So Scotland. Northern Ireland, and Wales have their own parliaments and assembles while England does not. These countries MPS are allowed to vote on English only matters. English MPS are not allowed to vote on matters that only concern these countries. You will also find that that Scotland, Wales and Northern actually hold political sway over England as they vote usually together for their combined interests. They also vote their MPS into Westminster (So they hold sway in Westminster and their own countries). You will also note that for many decades the leaders of the labour, liberal and conservative parties have not been English (they have been mostly Scottish). And will also note that is why Westminster is known as the cabal, because it has so many Scots in it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you already have it, its called westminster, or can you explain why the tories rule 4 countries when only 1 voted for them

Of course England is not too large. it is country in its own right, with own identity and culture. It has every right to once again have it own parliament. It has its shires so It does not need any foreign form of imposed governance/occupation. England is not 'province' of anywhere' nor does it need 'regional units'. Province and regional units are the language 'liberals' of the EU. The liberals and EU who have already done so much damage to England and the English.

• Benedict SpringbettBenedict Springbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I would suggest is splitting England into 10 or so 'Provinces' each with its own Government and Parliament, with powers parallel to the Scottish Parliament's. In my view, England is too large to be a separate unit, so it would be best to split it up into carefully chosen regional units.

• C KellyC Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that the time is now right for the'' English to take control of their country. Just as Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland have their own laws ie. Free student fees, no CareHome Fees (where as in England where someone has to sell their property to fund this),along with Free prescriptions and Free hospital car parking. these are just some of the benefits that living outside of England are available to everyone but the English people.
        The time has now come to split up the UK. and to have a referendum to leave the EU and make our own laws.

The sinister unworkable hair-brain idea of regional assemblies in England, would be nothing than another divisive arm of the EU. There to be exploited, milked and used by those who have no interest in England other than exploiting its people and riding another tier of the bureaucratic gravy train. Yes look at Germany and Switzerland which has no moral compass. And Germany where regionalism is used by politicians to keep the population divided and at odds with each other. London is just the place where the government is located. Every country has to have a capital some where. And England already has its own successful local administrations. They are called county councils, and they represent entire counties. And they include local administrations of the local councils i.e. boroughs and districts. They work. where there may shortcoming is from central government in London. Which should devolve a few more powers to the county counties who should then be made to devolve some on to the counties borough and district councils. The majority of the country does not want regional assemblies nor regions. No system is perfect but if it isn't broke dont mess with it. And county councils, and their borough ans district councils are not broke.

• John JohnstoneJohn Johnstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, what we need is not a single English Parliament, but a whole series of devolved English Regional Assemblies, each serving a population of around 5 million (Similar in size to the Scottish Parliament. They should have serious devolved decision making powers, and serious local fund raising powers. After all, what has the West of Cornwall got in common with Central London.

We would then be in a position to cut Westminster (the real problem) down to size.

If you want to see devolution in action, look at Germany or Switzerland.

They are paid via Westminster which allocates them huge sums of money gathered via tax. That money is only made available in such quantity because of by far the greater percentage of tax that is paid in the uk, is paid by the greater numbers of tax payers and greater numbers of business who are in England. Fact.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

None of the assemblies you mention are paid for by the English. If you feel that the English are somehow discriminated against by having Welsh, Irish amd Scottish parliaments then I imagine you will be in favour of Scottish Independence? Equally I have no problem with a separate English Parliament or Executive.

As far as the English are concerned the only white elephants are the so-called UK parliament, the EU, the Scottish parliament and the welsh and Northern Irish assemblies. All paid for by the English and at the expense of the English both politically and culturally.

The Scottish and Welsh parliaments are hugely time and money wasting. I say abolish these and forget about an English parliament. It will be just another costly white elephant without a real life purpose.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest argument for an English Parliament is looking at all the amazing things the Welsh and Scottish governments have implemented. If an English Parliament was done on the same proportional, list-based system as the Scottish and Welsh ones it could be really effective.

I'm not that bothered about Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs voting on English-only issues - there aren't so many of them, after all - but I'm always in favour of localising democracy.

Could you campaign for a National Assembly for all Ireland within UK ? so long as we do not have to py for it !

Keep up the good Berwick and the team. Equality is your aim and you have the well being of the people of England at heart. Your campaign is far and wide and far reaching. Equality for all or none.
        This campaign is for Equality for England and not aimed at vilifying all things Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish or those countries and their peoples. So those that have a racist hate of English people and England please take your thoughts elsewhere. And in doing so at least show some respect for the hard work of the 38 degrees team.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base