I suggest a campaign about ...

Organise a huge march against the Health & Social Care Bill

The only thing keeping the bill on track is Cameron's support. The Tories are terrified that this will become their Poll Tax. Let's make it that. If enough people come out on the streets, they will drop the bill like a hot coal. This march could be organised with the help of other organisations.

4,506 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    dodgydosserdodgydosser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

405 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would find it hard to travel to London I'm afraid, but I could easily manage Birmingham.

• R CarterR Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We must unite, and be all inclusive, inform those who do not use the internet, and drag them in.
        I fully support any, and I mean any action that will defend our NHS.
        As for the lib dems the spineless bastards, we must esp wipe them out in all local elections, help each other target seats where they have a stranglehold, campaign for any viable opposition.
        Inform everyone of their treachery, it beggars belief the numbers of people who base their opinion on the likes of the BBC and Sun. Educate the zombies.
        I would hazzard a guess that lib dem party membership is around 60thou if 35thou of us joined could we deselect leader? Fightback. v.

• BethBeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's important for democracy that the people of the UK stand up and say NO to this governments plans for OUR NHS. We cannot allow them to railroad these changes past us.

• Nancy StrangNancy Strang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am desperate to march! I feel so frustrated at lack of recognition of the huge opposition to this bill. I wish we were all on the streets now. Count me in 100%

• Nicholas.Nicholas. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now, as to the question of whether one demonstration, however massive will be enough BY ITSELF to change from a system that works for corporate interests to one that works for people, of course that would be unrealistic.

This and other European governments have DECLARED WAR on the welfare state. It's going to be hard, tough and NECESSARY to fight them at every step until a government is in that actually serves the popular interest.

SHUTTING UP and staying at home plays no part in such a struggle.

This is about the population taking a stand, not waiting for politicians to suddenly convert and do what they should do.

Drew, since the bill was proposed, the closest thing to a mass national demonstration to save the NHS has been one on a bridge involving a few thousand people tops.

There has NOT BEEN ANY mass national demonstration of the likes of the 26 March 2011 one against cuts or the 2003 one against invading Iraq.

How it can cross anyone's mind that NOT DEMONSTRATING will help is fascinating.

Stacey, that's exactly what Cameron would like us to think. Thanks for voicing his preferences so clearly. Of course he knows that people hate this, which is why he's lied about his policies from day one.

What's different is people ACTUALLY DENOUNCING those lies and attacks.

Marching and demonstrating is not about asking pretty-please be nice and work for the popular good, it is about ASSERTING that we will not accept and stand by as they attack our welfare state and services. It is an incontrovertible STATEMENT that helps show up how ILLEGITIMATE the government's attacks are.

NOT demonstrating is effectively to say: you win, we'll shut up and carry on as if nothing happened.

• Drew GillDrew Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we now need to recognise once and for all that campaigns against NHS reform, student fees, cuts to services etc is all part of the same problem - the Lib-Dems unfettered support for the Tories. No amount of demos, letter writing or lobbying will make an ounce of difference - the NHS campaign has proved it. The solution??

Go to the Politics campaign suggestions and Vote for Campaign at all levels to get a Vote of No Confidence in Nick Clegg.

• Stacey GuthrieStacey Guthrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What good will yet another peaceful protest do? Seriously, what are you trying to achieve here? Are you labouring under the misapprehension that Cameron thinks we're all happy? If we suddenly take to the streets he'll wake up and go 'Oh, I better change my mind, I don't think this has been very popular'. He hasn't listened to ANYONE so far. Getting loads of people in the same place to bang a drum and carry a banner will achieve NOTHING.

• Tina Price-JohnsonTina Price-Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a protest in every town, not just in London. It needs to be a country-wide event, and I suggest ending each March with a candlelight vigil at local government offices.

The government has been lying its way through this to push the bill through behind people's backs. That's a further reason to massively march against it, at any stage.

When does health become an issue not defending? When the government says so?

38 Degrees can show it is not "bloody useless" by still backing us. NOT massively showing the increasing national anger on this is effectively allowing the government to claim there is some kind of consent among the population.

• Alex GreeneAlex Greene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, they went and passed the Bill in the Lords anyway.

38 Degrees, I accuse you - you were created as a tool of the Tories to undermine Labour, and now that Cameron's in, he can discount you and discard you as the tool whose usefulness has come to its end.

You are officially bloody useless.

Thank you.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. And given that there are lots of people who may not be able to get to a single rallying point, such as London, there should be co-ordinated rallies organised in every major town and city in order to show the true strength of opposition to this Bill. Media coverage would be crucial of course if only to demonstrate our opposition to The Queen since she may be our last best hope to get this Bill stopped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base