I suggest a campaign about ...

Pro wind farms. Let's be "for" something for a change!

Government seriously considering u-turn on wind; wind companies' investment on hold due to uncertainty; well-funded anti-campaigns. Is the viability of life on earth more important than a view?

1,854 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ruth JarmanRuth Jarman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

555 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter SimmonsPeter Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mick - just because you can think of none [energy companies owned by an English company] your ignorance isn't something we can judge anything on is it? Try Good Energy, which you won't have heard of of course, but they supply 100% renewables and buy energy from their customers, with feed-in tariffs. I suggest you educate yourself before shooting your mouth off and attacking others here. If you don't like the campaign, go away and find something you do like. If I don't support something 38 degrees is doing, I just don't support it, I don't come on here whining about it.
        Your hyperbole is frankly hysterical - destroy our country - and the health of those living near wind farms - littered with redundant wind turbines and miles of concrete - none of that is relevent for the following reasons: wind turbines sit on the land and produce clean electricity, how does that 'destroy our country'? there are no health effects from living near wind farms unless you count getting all hot and boithered over nothing and raising your blood pressure; and as for 'litterd with wind turbines and miles of concrete, LOL, you do like to get excited! Wind turbines are removed when they reach the end of their lifecycle, didn't you know that? The concrete they sit on is a few metres, no miles are involved, and that too is removed if the turbines are removed, and the land is returned to agricultural use, it's all in the planning agreements. You didn't know? Well, ignorance is no defence, shoot your mouth off and you're likely to be taken on. Got any more insults for anyone in favour of wind? Come on, you must have a few more bits of disinformation you've swallowed.

ann - 'I do worry about what my children will see if all these windfarms & windturbines go up-they won't know what beautiful countryside views are any more' and you don't worry that their views will be spoiled by seeing an endless expanse of sea where they once walked? I think you need to get a grip, and start doing some serious thinking, you know, in depth. Views are the least of your children's worries, they'll have to cope with increased flooding, climate refugees, droughts [North Norfolk where I live is in its second year of drought with no sign of wetter winters], extreme weather events will also take their toll of people, animals and property. But you worry about the view your children will have. Duh.

For anonymous, Lesley and V Wood; anonymous - oh and you do have the facts of course, provided by the oil industry no doubt. Serious medical consequencies indeed, another lie. Perhaps you should just go away, 38 degrees isn't for you. Lesley - so all your information comes from a book by an anti, no doubts in your mind of course, so what's this 'proper research' you say you've done? I think you too should go away. V Wood - well they certainly are funded, and vociferous, and they don't restrict themselves to their own neighbourhood either, these people get around! Of course the whole anti-climate change/anti renewables has been funded by the oil industry, who are so short-sighted they can't see beyond their immediate profits, and presumably don't have grandchildren. The reason why we have to import so much for renewables is because people like you have been harrassing the industry for years and it has been restricted and cost money at every turn. As a result our manufacturers lag behind the rest of Europe. So don't come all British over this, YOU and your kind of gullible suckers swallowing every bit of misinformation chucked out are the reason we have to import so much. Try being positive and supporting renewables instead, you might just help to sustain the homegrown wind industry and protect jobs. This is so much more important than the NHS, only the truly shortsighted could think otherwise.

• MickMick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Andrew Moore thinks wind is free - think again, If it was free why are we paying 15% extra on our electricity bills to pay for wind turbines.
        Andrew Moore would rather invest in this country than in a foreign country. Andrew name me one energy company that is owned by an English company because I can not think of one. Most , if not all are foreign owned. They will take our money and destroy our country ( and the health of those living near windfarms) and clear off leaving the place littered with redundant wind turbines and miles of concrete.
        Andrew. Do your homework and know what you are talking about before you speak.

Healthconcerns

• ajaxajax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed in you, 38 degrees. The Government are finally reconsidering a U turn as so many people are finally seeing through the PR-speak of the wind farm industry. A vote for this is a vote to increase the profits of the PR companies, the barristers, the energy companies and the wealthy land-owners. It is NOT a vote for the preservation of the planet, it is a vote for fuel poverty, failing industry and landscape destruction.

• lesleylesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alan - this is pie in the sky land. DECC would like to cover the whole of the UK with 32,000 useless turbines. I think people see the existing wind farms dotted around the country and think this isn't too bad without realising what is planned. People in Co Durham, Northumberland and Scotland may disagree with me there as they are already inundated. Even with all those turbines, we would still need coal, gas and nuclear, so what is the point? Furthermore, the cranking up and cranking down required of the National Grid makes it very unlikely that any carbon emissions are essentially saved.
        Windmills and small wind pumps dotted about from the early 1900s is an age away from industrial wind turbines, over 120m high placed less than 500m away from people. Wind farms just aren't suitable for rural England. We should value what we have - lovely countryside. That is why people visit us.

• MickMick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wind turbines are an absolute disgrace. They are funded, without their knowledge, by the poorest in society to fund the richest. Stop the hidden subsidies now and tell the truth. Wind turbines only provide money for the developers and land owners. They do not provide energy when it is needed and they contribute to CO2 emissions. The whole situation has been constructed by the wind industry to benefit only them even the regulations concerning noise were formulated by them; if the normal planning considerations were used wind turbines would not be built.
        Thousands of people died from hypothermia last year because they could not afford to pay for their electricity; they had a choice EAT or HEAT. They could not do both.
        Those who continue to support these hideous contraptions are morally bankrupt. Is that the kind of country we want for ourselves and future generations? Of course it is not so have some decency and think of the poor people( of which there are millions) and stop wind power now.

From Healthconcerns

• wookeywookey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Renewable energy investment is a very good thing. Onshore wind is currently the cheapest form, and compares well with fossil generation. If that paid its full carbon impact Wind would be the cheapest electricity generation source available. Tidal and CSP (further south than the UK) should indeed also get investment, but they are less mature technologies right now.

People who think that Wind-power subsidies will cost them significant money are not working out how much money thay'd spend on gas and coal instead if it didn't exist. And ideas like 'lets support heat pumps instead' are technologically illiterate - heat-pumps don't generate electrical energy, so are not an alternative. They are of course a useful way of making heat, but only if you have already made electricity.

• Alan GilesAlan Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wind farms are part of the solution - encouraging the development of wind technology by providing small subsidies now will keep the price of energy down in future as the oil runs out and the price of all types of energy sky-rockets as demand outstrips supply

In the early 1900s there were thousands of wind pumps around the countryside keeping farmland dry and productive using sustainable energy - the advent of "cheap" petrol and electric pumps robbed us of this view of the countryside at work - let's return to the view of an elegant solution to our energy needs

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May isuggest you use the information from people who know what they are talking about regarding the most uneffictive energy generating system in he world which has INCREASED the UK's CO2 emissions in 2009-2010 by 3.8 %. with an average efficientcy of less than 20 % and falling requiring that for every theoretical MW a so called Windfarm is producing a back up power of the same size has to be installed using traditional energy producers. Billions of govern money = OUR money is wasted to go to overseas investors who are laughing all the way to the bank whilst it is estimated that by 2015 another 20% of the UK population is suffering from fuel poverty. Up till now i have supported yr actions but if you are going ahead with the pro windpower you will find with me hundreds of people against you. I have a windfarm of 8 turbines in front of my garden and potential serious medical consequences to my spouse as a result. i wil unsuscribe if you continue with your unthought out action . Robert Klaasen Chairman CSWWAG

• lesleylesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to be joking! No way would I vote against the government right now! They are finally seeing sense and looking at the ineffectiveness and expense of industrial wind farms put so close to rural communities that they make people sick + ruin our British countryside and heritage assets.
        All paid for by us - the electricity consumer. Do you really wish to run a campaign for fuel poverty?
        I have supported you before with the NHS and other campaigns. I will be getting out firmly if you run this one! Read THE WIND FARM SCAM by John Etherington or do some proper research before you commit to this lobbying by the wind industry.

• V WoodV Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well funded!!? From the pockets of hard working people who have to fund raise to prevent the destruction of the countryside from industrial wind turbines. The well funded are the pro wind who have numerous agencies lobbying on their behalf payed for by the rich energy companies. The only reason the energy companies promote this type of energy is because it is so profitable and payed for by our energy bills. Why not put money into tidal, solar, biomass etc which at least are fairly consistant and don't require a complete back up system. Please consider more of the facts before voting for this campaign which demands components are imported from across the world and brings very little investment into the UK and feathers the pockets of mainly large foreign companies.

• MarthaMartha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to do something about the looming energy gap and it just makes sound sense to use our own abundant and natural resources than to increase our dependency on imported fossil fuels.

• annann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I do worry about what my children will see if all these windfarms & windturbines go up-they won't know what beautiful countryside views are any more-Just Rusting Industrial structures that were follies to pretending a technology was efficient and that they were the answer-but by then we will have driven fuel costs up by so much subsidies to the rich that we won't be able to afford to go for our runs out in the countryside or that stay away in that quiet unspoilt area of our beautiful countryside.Quite honestly a Country swathed in turbines is a vision from hell.
        I am sorry I don't believe the climate scam either- we are being ripped off and both we and our children will lose the some of the best reasons for living and for what to make the rich richer and the rest of us much poorer.Let's support Heat Pumps instead !

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adrian - this was a great suggestion from an ordinary member of the public. Investment in renewable energy costs the public the equivalent of a packet of crisps each week. Are you seriously suggesting that's really pushing people into fuel poverty as opposed to soaring imported gas prices? Are you suggesting that's what we should continue to rely on? Or perhaps all those nuclear reactors that still haven't been built?

• Andrew MooreAndrew Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely makes a lot of sense to support an energy supply where the input cost is "ZERO". Wind is free.
        I'd rather support wind turbines than see my hard earnt money disappearing off to some middle Eastern country. I'd rather have money to buy assets in their country than see them buy up assets in ours.
        oh and lets put the wind turbines on-shore, reducing transmission costs and saving the beauty of our coastline.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea - a positive campaign FOR something important. Also ties in perfectly with the current campaign against the rip-off pricing of the big six energy companies, by supporting a type of energy that is proven, cheap, generates jobs and local income and helps wean us off our dependence on fossil fuel that in turn leads to our dependence on the big six...

• Pam GillPam Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so vital right now as the wind energy companies will give up without some government clarity. And the government needs to know that most people are pro renewables, even if they don't go around shouting about it, like the anti wind folk.

• Charles ButcherCharles Butcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A planning appeal for a couple of wind turbine clusters near me has just finished, and I've been gobsmacked at the lack of support for wind. The NIMBYs are vocal and well funded, yet the people who aren't opposed -- and I'm sure there are plenty -- won't stand up and say so.

The antis view the north Norfolk countryside as some kind of pristine wilderness. I feel lucky to live here and I love the wildlife, but in the end it's just fields of barley and sugar beet. A few turbines would add to the interest.

The barrister for one of the developers said: “If a wind farm is not acceptable at Chiplow, then no wind farm can be considered acceptable anywhere in lowland England. It really is, with respect, as simple as that.”

That cuts both ways. Unless we can get it together fast, I'm afraid that wind farms soon "will not be acceptable anywhere in lowland England".

Feedback and Knowledge Base