I suggest a campaign about ...

stop Clegg removing the free bus pass for pensioners

Nick clegg wants to means test pensioners bus pass which allows them free transport on local buses anywhere in England

570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vicki gilbertvicki gilbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WED UckworthWED Uckworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So,it looks like the government want the elderly to stay in their own homes, by making it more and more difficult for them to leave it. The insurance companies make using their cars too expensive. Public transport companies are really only interested in running routes that make them money. Taxi is expensive - some local taxi companies are marvellous others openly discriminate against a 1 km round-trip to the shop. Train? You still have to get to and from the station ...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rich mps do not know what it is like to have very little leave our bus passes alone.

leave bus passes to pensioners alone we get very little free and i worked hard for the country for over fifty years it gives me a little pleaser to travel around and visit places instead of being alone at home.

cleg is rich and does not have to worry about transport. however there are a great many pensioners on the bread line and removing the bus pass will see people going without food to travel to doctors or hospital appointments. leave the bus pass alone it is a lifeline to pensioners.

pensioners need the free bus pass to survive as pensions are to small to live on. pensioners can bring economy to shops in the area when they use the bus pass. also the buses in the daytime would be empty and running at a loss so who is going to gain out of this no one.

• MauriceMaurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, take all the less poor folks, including ones who still don't have cars whether for weath reasons or other practical reasons. How will you let them keep the practical benefit of being able to move around the bus network freely according to practical journey need, without constant absurd impractical obstruction of, oh but my fare only covers this company not that company. While this practical benefit does not need to be free for everyone, it strongly needs to be available to everyone. To shrink its coverage makes life worse, less practical again.

Ithink bus passes should be means tested as should state pension and winter fuel payments this will prevent rich people from getting them and free up more money for pensioners who ARE without means and are amongst the poorest members of our so called civilised society.

• joanjoan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many pensioners who pay tax actually receive less money than pensioners who get bennefits and do not pay tax when you add up the cost of their total benefit package.
        i.e. housing rent, council tax, supplementary pension and some get disability allowances/attendance allowances too. To removethe benefits outlined from all tax paying pensioners would marginalise a large majority of them and make them substantially worse off than pensioners on benefits.

• Andrew RendelAndrew Rendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's a shame that this comments board has been so knee juerk on this question. I understand why rich pensioners wouldn't want this (poor pensioners wouldn't be affected) but many of the other commentators don't seem to have really considered the issue.

We live in an era of difficult choices. I'd prefer a slower reduction of the defiict, and yes I'd prefer the process to be waited more towards tax rises than the current preference for cuts but the "pensioner perks" just don't make sense (unless you're a rich pensioner!)

For pensioner's who aren't able to or don't want to access busses, tv's etc. these benefits are useless. I would support Nick Clegg on this one and even suggest he goes further. All free bus passes, t.v. licences, winter fuel payments etc. should be removed entirely and the savings should be spent on increasing benefits for the poorest who are being hit really hard in the current recession.

This would be fairer, simpler and more efficient. Though of course it doesn't have such good headlines for the politicians...

• MauriceMaurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Writing as an autistic bus pass holder in Scotland) Has anyone noticed a social discrimination there will be in this, totally apart from the money? Think of all the practical problems, all the pigheaded barriers to transport, that come from your bus ticket only being valid on the company that issued it, and the expense or impracticality of extending your journey onto another company's bus even if it would form a sensible journey on the map. Or the frustration when your company's bus does not come while other companies' buses to the same destination pass you. Think of the difference made by an inter-company bus pass, all folks who don't get that are getting a worse level of citizenship. I can tell you that no longer having to worry about bus companies is the most marvellous practical difference bus passes make.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disgraceful. Having a buss pass means we get out of the house which in turn keeps us happy and healthy. We don't have ministerial limousines!

• Peter W SkevingtonPeter W Skevington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it extraordinary that the leader of a left of centre is proposing this. For a non driver like me the concessionary bus pass coupled with the Tyne and Wear Metro Gold Card costing £25 p a enables me to travel widely, easily and frequently in order to pursue research interests, hobbies etc,appreciate the North East town and countryscape as well as, importantly, spend my money supporting local businesses and communities of my choice,thus benefitting the local economy. Clegg should join the Tory Party and give up his liberal pretensions.

• Rosy MartinRosy Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bus passes enable old people to have some kind of life and connection. 'Rich' older people use cars anyway - so will not miss out - it is a targeted benefit anyway. The funding of rural buses is also dependent upon this support. Bus passes should remain a universal benefit for pensioners

• LewisLewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glegg and the Liberals be trusted. When they were in power in Twickenham, they brought out Smart cars with cameras popping out of the roof. This was to issue as many tickets as possible to motorists. The Conservatives are now in and thankfully someone came to their senses and they have now been removed.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nick Clegg is a real hypocrite! He is more concerned about promoting his pet subject like reforming the House of Lords than in tackling the real problems of social injustice which we the pensioners and ordinary people are facing daily. He is all talk about promoting social mobility because he knows this is a populus subject and puts him in the limelight and nothing more. Get him to put money where his mouth is and you'll see his real colour then. Now he is thinking of removing free bus pass for pensioners despite knowing this will have great impact on the social mobility of pensioners who are living only on basic pensions and nothing more. Let's organise a rally and ask him to put himself into our shoes and see if he can survive on just the basic pensions without the extra help we benefit from with our free bus pass!

• Thomas cooperThomas cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the cost of means testing equal the savings made? I s this a nother one of the governments ways of putting money into their friends pockets, Who has shares in ATOS?

All other benifits are means tested so that all your years of saving for your retirement are cancelled out through paying full rent, rates, spectacles, dentistry and many other things his was the one thing I could use to save a few pounds. Not using the car for easy journies saved money and the environment.

This has been the best thing for poor pensioners , fre travel has really brightened up their days and brought out of town supermarkets and fresh markets within their reach

Feedback and Knowledge Base