I suggest a campaign about ...

stop Clegg removing the free bus pass for pensioners

Nick clegg wants to means test pensioners bus pass which allows them free transport on local buses anywhere in England

570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vicki gilbertvicki gilbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

122 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vonvon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody know at what income per year that Clegg intends to test and remove the bus pass, please?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like many people I live in a the country and would be lost without my pass to go to the nearest big town,would only be able to afford to go rarely!!

• Rosemary O'DonoghueRosemary O'Donoghue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is easy to complain about wealthy pensioners getting a free bus pass but a don't suppose any ever use the buses. The people that use buses are mainly ordinary working class people who have retired and have a small pension and the free bus pass allows them to travel in the county and this is of benefit to their health by enlarging their horizons and it is of benefit to the economies of the places they visit where they may lunch or make small purchases.

our subsequent governments seem to be always looking to cut anything from white English pensioners who have worked and paid into the system all our working lives to give to all and sundry benefits,money and accommodation for free, who come into our country who sometimes plot against us, and to add,MOST people you speak to are of the same opinion,so Cameron,Clegg and that idiot Millaband go out into the wider world and talk to real English citizens,name and address can be supplied so bring the hand cuffs because I speek for many.

As a young person with a chronic illness who cannot work and has to travel by bus I'm not happy with the high bus fares I have to pay and have been told that as the subsidy for OAPs free passes doesn't cover the cost and that this is inflating the fares I feel the current system is not working. Might be better to limit free bus travel to local area for shopping etc or a set amount of travel per week or a % discount and also to fund this centrally, as at the moment younger low income people are suffering because of the subsidy.

I will need a free bus pass in 17 years time, as at current inflation rate cost of living will have doubled by then. But not pensions, state or private. The funding of this should come from central Government via the Local Councils system that exist already. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, just re-inflate it. SAVE MY AUNTIES BUS PASS. All the best Julian

• Linda TalbotLinda Talbot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this as I think they should be given to children who have no choice but to travel every day to get to school or college as the school leaving age has been raised to 18. The elderly do not need to travel every day.

• MauriceMaurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is this petition about? There is plenty of tabloid talk about abolishing them, for years back, but I can't find any news that it has actually happened ?!!

• Sylvie RichardsonSylvie Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You managed to shame the government into not restricting GP visits - so instead they take away bus passes which means many people will have their access to GPs and hospitals restricted anyway. Too much money wasted on legal aid and overseas. Give more to the elderly not less.

Myself and my family have voted conservitive all of our lives, but if we loose our bus passes and other perks then no more. How much cash is paid to families who never work never will and will be quite happy to say so to the press and also on tv. What a cheek!!!!!.
        It would seem we are a safe option and will never complain. Well think again Mr. C. Not only is your job unsafe but also your party's

Tony.

I started work at 15 years old and worked 2 years past retirement age, no time off looking after my child either, when I married the first time I advised my employer that my name had changed as I was now married. I was then put onto a married woman's stamp and when i queried it I was told I would still get a pension when my husband retired. I was not told it would be much lower than if i had been left to pay as a single person! I then divorced and payed a full stamp but only get 17% of a single person's pension. I am re-married now but my husband is 6 years younger than me so I can only get the 17% of a single pension still until he retires and then I do not get a full single pension. Nobody informed us then of what would happen in the future and pensions weren't talked about much then either. Now they want to remove the bus pass the only way I get out a couple of times a week! After working for over 40 years, I feel woman are really still badly treated from our generation. We won't get any of the new pension rates, too expensive I have been told to give it to us pensioners that have already retired. If our governments spent less money abroad and on health care and benefits for immigrants they might be able to look after their own, who have lived here all of our lives, no wonder people are a bit bitter to say the least

• Jenny BantingJenny Banting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

being a non tax paying pensioner, I wonder whether I would be treated as a single person or a married person for deciding whether I would be entitled to my bus pass in the future.
        People who are wealthy make sure that nothing is left in their names so they can claim anything going. Do not think I would qualify as my husband would be expected to keep me on his small pension.
        Working until 68 years old, staying home to look after my children and later staying home to look after my grand children, paying taxes but only a reduced insurance contribution as advised by the then DHSS that I would never have a pension until my husband retired - Quite wrongly of course.
        I think I have earned the right to use the bus a couple of times a week, after all those not working do not have to pay, they are just younger than me

I would not be able to afford to get to the hospital for appointments, would only be able to get to the shops once a week. I do not abuse my bus pass and only travel as needed. I am crippled with arthritis in my feet and back and have trouble getting around so cannot drive even if I could afford to have a car. If they take the bus pass away I think I might as well give up the ghost!

• Alison WardellAlison Wardell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On what basis does he base this means testing? He is only squashing the already squeezed middle classes. He has taken my pension from me twice and now the bus pass is in jeopardy. What next? Free precriptions and sight tests? It's costing the nation to means test everyone. Doesn't the coalition have any insight into poverty in old age? Oh I forgot, they are too busy giving benefits to illegal asylum seekers.
        Clegg hasn't got a clue and wouldn't be Deputy PM without the coalition. None of their austerity measures make any sense as they are penalising the very electorate who have paid taxes all their lives.

• joejoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sack Him he was not elected for what he thinks.
        He is ment to be a spokesman for voters evil man

• joejoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

He dosent need it shocking comment hes loaded and like all the Librals they are evil remember Glegg how he lied about student fees they should be put in jail for fraud

Why should a wealthy person of any age have state subsidised anything? A millionaire of pensionable age does not need a free bus pass. If it is means tested money can be saved towards helping those who really need help.

• chandra chandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nick clegg. you are a very nasty person, to stop old peoples pass and winter fule payments, why not stop people like all these tax credits you give out to mums some off them with live in boyfriends, and the hook liveing in a big posh house paid by your goverment, it would seem you and mr cameron take it out on old people, why not the banks insead,

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base