I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,398 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline GouldCaroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

534 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In reply to the recent comment Neil Dale made, I do not believe that all snares are checked every 24hrs as animals have been found dead in snares across the country, and as for being humane there are MANY pictures that show the injuries that have resulted in animals being caught in legal snares. on the domestic pet side, how do you explain to a cat that they must not enter private property?

• Neil DaleNeil Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares are humane! they are checked at least once every 24hrs there is a stop on the wire to stop strangulation, animals that are not targeted can be released unharmed. if domestic pets are under control and on public land then they should not come into contact with snares of any kind.

• Rosemarie EastRosemarie East commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the comments. These snares should be banned. Good Luck with the petition Caroline.

• AsculumAsculum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I honestly do not think that you can ban them. Its just not viable because they're so easy to make from many simple materials. Not just cheese wire. I agree that they are horrible & painful for the creatures involved and completely unnecessary in modern times but trying to enforce a ban like that will ultimately just be wasting the judicial systems time.

I thought they already were illegal? though I know people still use them, definitely needs enforcing.

It was different I suppose when it was done for food, now it is sport and unnescessary and cruel

Unnecessary and barbaric form of torture for any animal domestic or wild caught in a snare. Should be banned back to the middle ages where it belongs and all setters of snares should receive a minimum of £1000 fine per snare set.

I'd vote for this but can't as all my votes used up, if this is happening to me, is it happening to others who can't vote who want to on campaigns. I've lost my voice by supporting a couple of other campaigns using more than one vote because foolishly I didn't notice I was only allowed ten but could use more than one on a campaign. Just a thought. May be just may be Pats Petition was the same?

We are regular supporters of the wonderful work done by Caroline and her team, but we are appalled to learn that snares are still being used and will do our best to rally support for the campaign to have them banned.
        Christine and John Talbot-Cooper

Feedback and Knowledge Base