I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,398 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline GouldCaroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

534 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron PowellRon Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mantraps were banned in England in 1827. Should innocent wild and domestic animals be treated any worse than poachers and thieves? This is a disgusting practice.

• M VillaweaverM Villaweaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember the Vale Wildlife Center from when i was a young nipper :) Glad to see your still there! Keep up the good work x

• Neil DaleNeil Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mary Askew
        I am neither ignorant callous or cruel and i am sure that i spend more time in the country improving habitat for many different animals/birds. i do use snares and they are checked everyday (legal requirment) the countryside you enjoy is that way because we have people employed to manage it, some of that management includes culling! other things i may get involved with is laying hedges and planting trees and wild bird cover.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments posted so far, however the one that is missing is the question as to what type of psychology allows a human fo feel that far removed from the deliberate act of inflicting that level of targeted suffering on another creature?
        Lack of empathy and manipulation of environment are in fact base line diagnosis triggers for intervention by psychologists investigating psychosis and sociapath behaviour. An indicator of a collapse or absence of morality.
        Certainly there is a known correlation between animal abuse cases and further abuse in people - both adult and child.
        Question: are 'trappers/ snarers' and poachers a potential wider risk?
        and should the law be more active in targeting one to negate the other?

• Tanya AlexanderTanya Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with banning all traps or snares, how can something so cruel still be allowed, appalling

• Mary AskewMary Askew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A stain on the souls of the ignorant, callous and cruel people who set snares. Makes me ashamed to belong to the human race. Tears in my eyes.

• Yvonne HigginsYvonne Higgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just appalled how anyone in this day and age can be so bloody cruel, I feel I want to see how they would feel if someone did the same thing to them!!! They deserve to be ........................

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neil, go to the Vale wildlife rescue website and read Caroline's blog and see the results of a so called legal snare and you tell me then that this poor badger didn't suffer or wasn't tortured!! You or no one else is going to convince me otherwise. Just go ahead and say that isn't cruel or barbaric! Go on have a look!!!

• a morgana morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

outrageous...thought we were a nation of animal lovers. I'm sure the person who sets these traps would not want their dogs caught in this way

• Bill RobertsBill Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally suport a ban on snares, they have no place in a supposed civilised society . I too have seen the horrific injuries caused by snares, there is no such thing as a 'humane' snare, they are all barbaric

• SuzypinkSuzypink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totall barbaric! This is the 21st century and this needs banning now! Animals need protecting from humans with no ethics. Let's put those who approve of them in the snares!

• Christine mChristine m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is totally barbaric to allow these snares to be used! How would these people react if they were caught in one1

Feedback and Knowledge Base