I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,398 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline GouldCaroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

534 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All snares should be banned. There is no place in a civilised society for this barbarism.

• Alexa ForbesAlexa Forbes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really sad that, in 2013, we still need a petition to ban snares - they simply can't be justified on any level.

• S.smithS.smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently had the misfortune of witnessing a beautiful hare caught in a snare.
        I cannot understand the mentality of gamekeepers and others who think it is ok to set such horrific, barbaric traps. For those who do not know how a snare operates, as soon as the animal walks into a snare it will tighten around its body. The more the animal struggles then the tighter the snare becomes. The animal invariably dies a long drawn out horrific death.
        These need to be banned.

• julieboltonjuliebolton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares should be banned,I thought they were already illegal.anyone using one should be caught in one themselves, coz they are the 'vermin' b.....ds!

• Anna BohachAnna Bohach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares are cruel and inhumane and cause terrible injuries to wildlife and domestic pets. It can also cause jnjury to a human esp. to a child if accidentally caught. It's time to ban them forever in a civilised society.

• tina welchtina welch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did someone actually say they were needed to protect fish in a pond & neighbours cats were caught & drowned 'humanely'??? Unbelievable!!!!

• MarkyMark SurreyMarkyMark Surrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’ve seen the results of a cat & fox caught in a snare, cat had to have its leg amputated, fox had tried to bit its own leg off and sadly died. These are a barbaric way of catching animals and belong in the past along with slavery and opium dens.

• Caroline GouldCaroline Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To say snares are not cruel is absolutely ridiculous. I can show you many pictures of the horrific injuries caused by snares. Totally inhumane!!

• John MaileyJohn Mailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous commented · November 19, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Snares are essential to control pest species in the countryside. If properly set they are not cruel. Death is instant. people seem to be objecting to something they know little or nothing about, like the absurd suggestion that bchildren could be killed by them.
        Are you for real?
        Just see the photos of animals caught in snares.Had a X mate who sold snares and all kinds of traps.Then said he cared about Animals???????????? These people who say they are ok always hide there name.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more - Britain seems to have remained in the Middle Ages when it comes to the humane treatment of animals and birds. I had no idea snares were still legal. For goodness sake! Britain should get its backside into the 21st century!

• Amanda KatzAmanda Katz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares are an example of pure evil. Anyone who sets a snare is knowingly inflicting extreme terror, torture and an agonising lingering death on a small, innocent fellow being. Any person who sets a snare must (I can only conclude) be totally devoid of any capacity for empathy. This is an extremely dangerous kind of human being. The law of any 'civilised' society ought to firmly protect our vulnerable fellow animals from the psychopathic cruelty of these predatory human individuals. It is tragic that such animal-protection laws do not already exist. Are we still living in the time of Dickens? Enough already. These are our innocent little fellow-beings, who are suffering unimaginable torture at the hands of a few sick individuals who don't seem to know any better. It's time to take the instruments of cruelty out of their hands. Ban snares now.

• Mark KMark K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support a full and final ban of the use of all types of snares. The statement below that snares kill animals 'instantly' is patently false.

• Donnaa DamzelleDonnaa Damzelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anonymous, i notice you are hiding from what you have posted, i'm in the countryside and it seems you are no more informed than the next on this matter.
        i live in the countryside, and snares are never the answer! snares are not safe, often another innocent species becomes the victim, of these traps and not the intended pest.
        also they are dangerous to small children, they should be banned legally once and for all

oh yes and the plastic loops/rings that (holds together several cans at a time), these need cutting, as large birds have become injured by them having it caught around their middles, and also wings, very dangerous to wild life

we all need to make sure this snaring is totally banned once and for all, ANY PETITIONS TOWARDS THIS END I WILL TAKE PART IN.
        i'm 72, and live in the south west, and never heard that snares has been banned here!
        like you, before disposing of anything, i make sure theyre no threat to wildlife, even the ring pulls i cut in half as birds gets their necks trapped in them!

• Sara PulfordSara Pulford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm 74 and understood that snares were already banned when I was a child.
        When I throw away my surplus Royal Mail rubber bands I cut them so they can't get caught on
        something rigid and catch anything living

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base