I suggest a campaign about ...

Change import duty rules to encourage EU and British manufacturing

An EU-based company importing electronic components from outside of the EU has to pay duty on those components (most are made in the Far East). If, however, a device is manufactured outside the EU from those same components, then imported into the EU, it does not attract import duty. A company manufacturing abroad, and depriving the EU economies of employment opportunities, effectively gets a tax break over those supporting the EU economies. This makes it very tax inefficient for any electronics company to manufacture in the EU, and is a contributing factor in the loss of so many manufacturing jobs to overseas economies. Campaign for the adjustment the EU import duty rules to remove this disparity and to encourage the return of electronics manufacture and assembly jobs to the EU and Britain.

Related e-petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27158

More info on the Common Customs Tariff (CCF): http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/taric.htm

219 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MichaelMichael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martyn de YoungMartyn de Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better to slow down Britain's decent into Bankruptcy than hurry it along, I say.Of course I have a vested interest - I want to see more jobs in Britain (or if not, at least in the EU, especially if it helps the Eurozone solve its own financial crisis). The import/export rules and regulations are horendously complicated, and this is one example. The reason for it seems lost in the mists of time, but one explanation is that it was to protect UK component manufacturers from cheap imports. With the massive decline in that sector, it doesn't seem to have worked too well, and most electronic components are now made abroad, however the rule still stands (althopugh I understand that there are ways round it) and is now even enshrined in EU regulations. Every time a duty is changed, it will benefit some, and adversely affect others, so making any changes is a long, drawn-out affair, but you have to start somewhere, so why not here?.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought this government was about rebalancing the economy? Seems a daft way to go about it, tax the UK manufacturers and give a tax break to the consumers and their competitors. I heartily support this.

I thought this government was about rebalancing the economy? Seems a daft way to go about it, tax the UK manufacturers and give a tax break to the consumers and their competitors. I heartily support this.

I can see you are just trying to prolong the agony of Britain descent into bankruptcy. Do you have a vested interest?

• Martyn de YoungMartyn de Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ePetition referred to here is one I started yesterday, as a result of discussions on the Raspberry Pi forum. (with over 1000 signatures already) I know the import duty rules are harmonised across Europe, but so far as I am aware there is no way to ePetition the EU parliament in a similar way! At least if this takes off, and the UK government does take up the issue, they would have a greater influence (perhaps!) on Europe than you or I would as individual euro-citizens. Please eVote at:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27158

Feedback and Knowledge Base