I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop The Sale of Public Land and Forests in the UK

Councils in the UK own million of acres of land. Led by Somerset County Council, many are now considering privatising their public land and forests in a move which could dwarf the Government's attempted sell-off of the forests earlier in 2011. Somerset County Council has begun consulting on the sale of 2,000 acres of land in the Quantock Hills (the UK's first AONB), much of it Sites of Special Scientific Interest and forest. If Somerset County Council (SCC) is successful, other Councils are sure to follow. Help defeat SCC's privatisation plan and make sure that the forests sell-off doesn't happen by default in a piecemeal fashion.

818 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike RigbyMike Rigby shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such land should only be sold off if it has no public benefit, otherwise the mindless action of a moment will be to the cost of future generations forever more. Trust ownership etc. could be considered if public benefits are guaranteed in perpetuity.

• XiomaraXiomara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyways, I'm happy I discovered it simply because your subject material is just what I'm searching for (writing a college paper) and I hope you do not head if I collect some information from the following and I will certainly credit you because source. Thank you very much. http://meratolreviewblog.com/

Online calculators usually are gizmos which are designed to execute a number of measurements, such as including, multiplication, subtraction plus team. These types of clear-cut options would be the gateway regarding working out tricky amounts. Solely nowadays, online calculators have emerged to be very trendy together with mathematicians, undergraduates, people, car consumers and generally anyone who hopes to examine their particular fund. http://www.calculette-pret-immobilier.fr/

• Tony MaggsTony Maggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ref BBC Country File 20/5/12 : This sell off will also effect many tenant farmers who will be forced off their farms by Big Businesses who will buy up the land at prices tenant farmers will not be able to afford

Our forests and public land are part of our precious countryside and are essential to the health, wellbeing, sanity and longevity of the general public, and everyone. This is our natural heritage and it would be criminal and barbaric to sell them off, so the rest of us have no rights of access to them anymore and meanwhile they are more likely to be destroyed by developers. How sad!! God gave the forests and natural habitats to us all to benefit from and appreciate and look after FOR A REASON! And councils have, in their position, a divine duty to heed things like this WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN MIND and selling things like this off is CORRUPTION with a capital C. And what about the tourist industry? Imagine visitors from overseas coming over and being told: "sorry, this is private property" everywhere they turn and ultimately coming over to little but social housing estates and well tacky holiday homes!!

• Augustus SatayuAugustus Satayu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The key needs for enjoying these games are certainly not that costly and complicated as for other people played online. Having a computer system keyboard and a mouse then a single is ready to play the game in a very very easy and easy way. http://www.playdirtbikegames.org/

• ImogenImogen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and the worst thing is, when these forests and woods are sold off they often go to the local wildlife trusts or similar conservation organisations, who then deforest -- in the case of East Anglia this is in order to create heathland. it is very likely this will happen to Knettishall Heath in Suffolk, for example. But when they are in the hands of charities and conservation organisations there is no democratic opportunity to challenge what they are doing. Definitely an important subject

Has anybody yet queried as to why approximately 13% of the UK land mass is not included in the Land Register; and if not; to whom does it belong to?

• Roger CartwrightRoger Cartwright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ownership is the best guarantee of protection for amenity land, particularly if it already belongs to the community (by inheritance) such as the historic 'customs' common on the Quantocks – this is another example of ‘selling the family silver’. Somerset County Council should drop this ill-considered, unjustified disposal of public land and concentrate on changes and reforms to reduce bureaucracy that can result in long-term savings and allow the continued evolution of sensible management (actively involving local interests) of one of its most valuable capital assets (scenery) and sensitive natural resources.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And not ony in UK.Worldwide.forests belong to every human being.

If we don't sell off the country side how is corporate Britain supposed to expand and build homes for the new consumers we encourage to migrate here every day? How are councils going to generate new sources of income for their more corrupt members and create new sources of income for the private devlopers. Let's concrete and build over the whole of Britain at least it will stop soil erosion.

• Louise Lappin-CookLouise Lappin-Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of these beautiful woodland areas being privately owned is nothing short of devastating. The Quantock Hills are at the heart of Somerset, providing an incredible AONB for the public to enjoy - this proposed sale appears to be very short term thinking.

• DomspiralDomspiral commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A terrible decision once again. The audacity of SCC to try and sneak this sale through with so little consultation & time to reply, just indicates the many battles we have ahead of us to keep 'our land'! The petition on the council's website is doing ok at just under 3,000. However, we need a bigger input from you guys if possible? Its not just the Quantocks but the Blackdown Hills too, - another AONB!

• B B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This cannot be allowed. We stopped the Government selling off forests but now the Localsm Bill has been passed Local Authorities have the right to do almost anything. I do not believe the current Council would have been elected if they had made known they were going to sell off our public spaces part of their manifesto.

It is really sad that things have come to this. I hope that the strong public objection to this proposal will make SCC think twice about this public landsale, which will be of the detriment to the Somerset Countryside.

• Bruce McLeanBruce McLean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comments posted so far say it all. The land belongs to the people of Somerset and should not be taken from them. I am totally opposed to the proposal

I strongly object to the sale of this public land. There are job opportunities galore on this land and with a little imagination, SCC could really do some good instead of trying to gain a quick buck.

• Simon ClarkSimon Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once the family silver has been sold it will most likely be broken up and lost forever. I strongly suggest that SCC looks at an alternative to this short term gain.

This is a bullying underhand attempt to change the nature of the Quantocks without any public consultation.
        I trust the reasons for this proposal will be made clear before any decision is made.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base